My 1st 510 Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
oldschool80sguy

Re: My 1st 510 Project

Post by oldschool80sguy »

I will get you more pics of the Full frame job. but to be hones it is the floor that gave way to the bars. they are something like 2 by 4's that the floor was cut out to install. so the floor needs attention now and strengthening in my opinion. the welds are about 6 to 8 inches apart on the floor and already starting to break. but as for the frame job i think this prior owner did a fairly descent job. they need cleaning and protecting but from underneath you would think you are looking a vintage muscle car frame setup. I give the guy a lot of credit, i dont think i would be able to take on a job like that. the seat rail bars see to just float over it too so it should not be a problem putting my MR2 seats in.

P.S. will probably go with a VG33E vs the 215. theres just more support.
oldschool80sguy

Awesome day at the Salvage yard:
Guage cluster
Glove box
All coat hooks and sun visor
heater controls
shifter surround
rear trunk lock / latch
Stock Crossmember
Stock Valve cover
And .......REAR SEAT COMPLETE!! (happier than a fat kid with a cupcake)
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

oldschool80sguy wrote:
P.S. will probably go with a VG33E vs the 215. theres just more support.

I think this is a good call. The VG will provide great torque and a reliable FI engine.

I need to get back to work on my VG33 swap.

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
oldschool80sguy

Sweet setup. Looks super clean, the blue looks a lot like the blue on my suspension. I think I may go Carb on mine. I am trying to avoid as many wires as possible and having a backround with Muscle cars I already have a bit of knowledge about them and how to modify them. When you look under the hood the VG33 or VG30 just loo, right. plenty of room and it sits dead center in there, the only reason i would want the 33 over the 30 is the .3 liters (that i probably won't even notice) but more importantly the oil filter location. Less Messy.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

oldschool80sguy wrote:Sweet setup. Looks super clean, the blue looks a lot like the blue on my suspension. I think I may go Carb on mine. I am trying to avoid as many wires as possible and having a backround with Muscle cars I already have a bit of knowledge about them and how to modify them. When you look under the hood the VG33 or VG30 just loo, right. plenty of room and it sits dead center in there, the only reason i would want the 33 over the 30 is the .3 liters (that i probably won't even notice) but more importantly the oil filter location. Less Messy.
Blue color is Porsche Mexico Blue.

Mine is a VG33 from a 99 Pathfinder. I used the 200SX intake. It says 3000 on it but that extra .3 bumps up the power and torque over the 3.0

The 3.0 makes 160 HP and 165 ft./# of torque.

The 3.3 makes 180HP and 198 Ft./# of torque.

Compare this to the Buick 215 and the VG33 just makes more sense.

To go with a carbed VG, you need to get a manifold from a truck and modify it to accept a carb and you need a (hard to find) euro distributor.

I may be able to help you locate these parts.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

If you are concerned about wiring in order to keep a clean look under the hood, check this build thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14174&start=120
Skip to page 9 and check out the under hood shots, truly a work of art that shows you can have the clean look with FI.
1972 Yellow 4dr
oldschool80sguy

cut out a swiss cheese section of the firewall with the help of a Navy Diver. Still have some finessing to do but it's better than filling 15 holes and a small patch. also here is another view of where the "Full Frame" meets the rear inside. the bars are 2in wide up top.
oldschool80sguy

To clear up an earlier point; Here are the two cross-members side by side. at first glance you can see the LCA points and engine mounting area are identical. when i took a closer look i noticed that other than the goofy bar in-between there is only one other difference. There seem to be a second Control arm stud location custom drilled above the stock one. what this does exactly to the suspension or the wheel location i am not sure.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

That second hole is there to relocate the control arm pick up points when lowering the car. If you lower your car his way you'll want also use bump steer spacers to correct the geometry. Do a search on lowering 510's and you'll see tons of into on this. Good luck
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
oldschool80sguy

boredom and beer led to the repair of the glove box today. all new hardware and i highlighted the badge for contrast. very happy with results. Tip: If you glove box door broke off, take it apart and bond it back together with Gorilla tape (make a sandwich of it) it's black, has a texture similar to the box and is strong and flexible.
oldschool80sguy

Yes, the skateboard is my Creeper.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Why did you cut out the spare tub, what's the plan man? Is it for suspension mods, a fuel call, or something else?
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
oldschool80sguy

mounting a fuel cell and a rear brace, when finished the cell will hang down about the same as the spare tire 8". So to the untrained eye it will still appear pretty much stock. thinking 15-20 gallons. would love to jack up the back slightly so that the rear appeared like a muscle car; Wheel, Rear differential, Wheel. we'll see.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I'm totally down with the fuel cell peeking out from under the bumper. I have a 15 gallon ATL cell in my car and it extends 10" deep. I'm telling you straight up though, there's no mistaking it for a spare tub. Take a look. Keep in mind this car has been lowered 2". I don't think you'll need to raze the rear end to see it.
Attachments
celltrunk.jpg
celltrunk.jpg (118.01 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
Rear.JPG
Rear.JPG (102.59 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
oldschool80sguy

Holly Hanna that's clean! I will probably go with one that is not as deep though, i realize now that there is no mistaking it for a tire well, i guess i just meant that it would take up the same amount of space. What size tank is that? do you have any pics of the prep / work in the process? Sweet Dat bro!