ace028's 72 2 door

View and post your 510 project(s)
tycot1
Supporter

Re: ace028's 71 2 door

Post by tycot1 »

hey ace, i will send you some info tomorrow night. email me some better pics of the target problem ares so i can asses them better. bigtimemotors@hotmail.com
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Ok, it will be gone for about a week and half till I can get a chance to take pics, I'm out in the field, unless I get to come home sometime during the week. I appreciate your help.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ace028 wrote:but is it worth the hassle,
Depends. Most 510s are not R&P, so most think it isn't worth the hassle. Certain engine swaps require it, but those are just as uncommon.
ace028 wrote: or are there simple swaps for it?
No.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I got the glass from that car. I was repairable at the time, but I'm questioning the excessive use of puppy farts for the fix, and the tweaked window post, and, if I remember right, the kick panel/floor interface below it, was an issue. Was in pretty nice shape otherwise. Someone put alot of time and money in it at one point.

And I'll be the first to throw the standard response for questions that have been addressed to great detail- 'Search function', and then seat time reading through the results.

Real world encouragement is what you'll get here. Take it and use it.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
ace028

Post by ace028 »

You actually seen my car? Are you in NC?
boltupright
Supporter

Post by boltupright »

ace028 wrote:You actually seen my car? Are you in NC?
Ya , the car was at my house in Bothell Wa . then it went back to Oregon . Its had quite a journey!
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Were you the owner at one time? The title I have is full of different owners, looks like no one has taken the title to the DMV in quite a few owners.

Do you have more history about this car? It makes it neat that some of you know this car.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Got the glass from boltupright, about a year ago, in Bothell. Amazing the travels this car has seen.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Did you get the rear glass? I think guy only obtained the rear glass because it wasn't installed, or taped in. The rest of the glass is there but the driver door glass.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

..If that pillar and firewall is the least bit pushed back, I would use that as a parts car, get another one that is nicer to deal with. The last thing you want is to get it all back together and it doesn't track straight or align properly.....that's my thought on it....I wouldn't waste the time and money when there are nicer, cheap shells out there. good luck with it if you do decide to fix it.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I got the windshield, rear window, and rear side glass/frames. I agree with goichi- my plan would have been to use the good panels- the rear of the car was really nice, but that passenger tweaked section would need a blackhawk frame machine to verify its 'squareness'. Did they repalce the whole frame horn (part that goes along engine compartment and under car below firewall), or did they scab it together like the upper part in the pic? I'd be doing some heavy measuring and recording those dimensions before I got too far into it.
Darryl Cavanaugh
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Ok got back from a field exercise, so I took the time to move all the parts except body panels into my shed to give some walking room in the garage. Next I took the instrument cluster apart and cleaned it up, the clear plastic needs more poslishing, but its much cleaner then it was before, not sure if it will be used in the end, but gave me something to do with the stuff I have.

Looks like the engine frame rail is intact and not bent, but I haven't measured anything yet, but it appears that they just welded the inner fender part to the rail, after looking at it today, it looks more fixable then it did a week ago, but I'll let the body guys decide that.

ace028

Re: ace028's 72 2 door

Post by ace028 »

Got some hood hinges in the mail today. I had to extract a broken off screw out of the driver side hinge mount. I installed the hinges, but I think they may be bent, does anyone have good pics of the hinges? I will post pics later of why I think they are bent. The bolts that were included were not correct for the hood, but they fit the trunk so I mounted the trunk, so at least it wont get tripped over or fall off the car. It seems to have a uneven gap, will have to work on getting the gap correct, and I noticed someone shaved the rear trunk lock hole, same great work as the front fender marker light shave job.

What are thoughts on the fiberglass panels? I am considering getting the fenders, hood, trunk as bad repair jobs were done, or is it best to keep the metal ones and repair them? Just trying to get ideas on those parts.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Does anyone have a good contact number or email for tsr? I just want to talk to mario about prices and such for when i get to that point with this shell or another shell I can estimate costs. I searched but all numbers were disconnected, or wrong. Just doing some reaserch lol.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Most FG stuff is molded for racers, meaning it's possible to have dodgey fit and the panels may need extra work before they'd look good on a street car. If you're not a wiz with FG, probably best to spend the money up front and talk with Dave at futofab. Higher up-front cost, but you won't be dealing with fit and finish.

As for Mario, he's kind of hard to find by design. He has been known to work on long lead times, so best to ship him some money and then wait.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson