View and post your 510 project(s)
ace028

Re: ace028's 72 2 door

Post by ace028 »

How do you get ahold of him?
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Just to throw it out, here is the 710 I use to have. I don't have it anymore, I was 16 at the time, I think this was at 2001 mt shasta show, I remember spinning out on the auto cross track, it was the first time ever auto crossing, then a really nice guy gave me some tips and my second run was much better. I have not autocrossed since. Maybe some of you that went remember me or my car.

Not much to update, I received door hinges for the passanger side. I am attempting to install the door for now, it will make it easier to see what I have to work with, and less to trip over. My door seams are rusted out at the bottom, I am guessing this is common.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Small update, I removed the dash, and wiring, then I scraped out the old nasty body deadener off the floor and rear seat area, and vacuumed the dirt out, looks cleaner now. I carefully put the dash harness in a box and the screws in a bag and labeled it. Next I will remove the trunk wiring and headliner and dome light and wires to it, not in that order tho lol.

Man this floor pan looks like I could take it out in one piece easily, I wonder if I took it out if I could take it to a sheet metal shop and have it made up so I don't have to try to section the replacement pieces together, I think one piece would be better if possible. Maybe its too much hassle or too expensive, any thoughts, anyways pics.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ace028 wrote:Man this floor pan looks like I could take it out in one piece easily, I wonder if I took it out if I could take it to a sheet metal shop and have it made up so I don't have to try to section the replacement pieces together, I think one piece would be better if possible.
Photos don't really convey any serious rust issues. Looks like some perf holes in the driver's floor. From the pictures, I don't see a reason to cut the entire floor out of the car. If this is what you intend, and plan to do, ensure you tack in some cross bracing before cutting out the floor, so it doesn't get out of shape on you. I'd avoid that if you don't have serious rust issues, but pictures look to be cell-phone issue, so...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Yeah sorry for the cell pics, reg camera wasn't handy at the moment, but there are some holes in the floor, mostly in the rear of the floor pan center around where the rubber plug goes. I was just throwing the idea around, just because it looks like its easy to get out.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ace028 wrote:just because it looks like its easy to get out.
Heh :lol: EVERYTHING is easier to get out!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Not much to update, been really busy with work preparing for my deployment, but I removed the headliner gently and folded it up and put aside. I also grabbed this book off ebay, got it for $50 shipped.

ace028

Post by ace028 »

I am currently deployed, but wanted to make a small update, I sourced a front clip, and am having it shipped to my house. Once I return home, I will do some heavy measuring and talk to some places with a frame machine and see how much work I have before I get too much further along with the car.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Been a while, but I'm back from my deployment, been home about a month, and have been busy spending time with my wife, and newborn son. I have spent some time in the garage but not much, I managed to get the car on stands. Struts and crosmember have been removed. I have stripped my new clip of metal I will not use. I will be leveling the car with shims under the stands to make it perfectly level, then start taking many different measurements. It would be great if I knew the factory measurements, but either way, I will measure to obtain points of reference and squareness before I start trimming.

Here is a pic of it on stands and of the front clip.

Meanwhile I have sanded on one of the fenders to see what lies behind the paint and over the horrible sidemarker shave job I saw underneath. Looks like I got some work cut out for me. I plan on using sidemarkers.

Someone installed what I think are 280zx struts, but I cannot be sure that these are. I have checked bryans writeup on struts, and these are not on the list, but I did however in a google search come across the strut partnumbers I have in a Bluebird mail message about these numbers being the ones to get, if someone could comfirm I'd appreciate it, and yes I did search, but results were inconclusive.

I really hope these are the 280zx struts.

Tokico
54302-P9400
54303-P9400

The dude that had the car before me thought it was a great idea to cut the springs and level the car with no engine. :lol:

Sorry pics suck, I will try to get proper pics later, I have been very busy around the house and with the family. I know that plans will change on this build from what I originally wanted, but still plan on sr20det power.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Ok, just snapped a couple qucik pics with a real camera, this is where I am currently. Nevermind the honda wheel on the ground, working on another car. I mounted the grills I have on the wall to keep them from getting messed up anymore then they already are, plus they look cool, I took the idea from goichi1's thread, thanks.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Welcome back! I know too well about those deployments!! no more for me!!! shore duty here!! nice work!! keep the pics coming!!
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks, I'm in my reenlistment window, I think I could reenlist to go to japan, but I don't know just yet.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Echo the "welcome back!" Look like ZX struts/calipers to me. The FSM has some basic measurements, but IIRC there are also the "crash sheets" that sell on eBay. Presumably to measure to fix a crashed car. Never seem 'em or hear anyone who's used 'em, but might be another source.

Generally panel replacement such as you are planning can be done with enough careful measurement...then some more careful measurement...then only cutting after further careful measurement:) After 40 years the cars are all beat to some extent.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Took this pic a few days ago, thought it was cool.

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

That little chub looks happy to see you, great pic!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal