A 510 30 years in planing.

View and post your 510 project(s)
Cmac

Re: A 510 30 years in planing.

Post by Cmac »

Just a thought but I would recommend that you check out a couple of cars built buy people in your area. This will give you an idea of the quality of the build and give you the opportunity to ask a boat load of questions. Photos can hide allot trash under shinny paint or fancy parts. You are going to end up spending a fair amount of money in the end and I would hate to see anyone spend it twice.

R160 will not hold up to 350hp over time. use the R180 or r200 3.7 ratio.

Also there is a step just above the rear fender lip that you hammered out you will need to cut that and smooth it out in order to get large tires to fit. There is a support flange in the very middle of this so you cant just hammer it flat nor put too much heat into it or you will warp the panel.

There are allot of very knowledgeable people on this form that have built some really clean cars that have chimed in above check out their build threads as well.

Good luck on the build
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

After some paperwork mix up with the delivery company I Got the motor today, and it looks like it made the trip relatively unscathed, oh and the CAS was replaced. What I've found so far is: The fan was damaged, the throttle pulley is a bit sticky and seems like it may have been bent, and the motor mont bolts have in dead been sheared off. Other than that, it seems to be in good shape.

I will take some good quality pictures over the weekend. Next step is to label each connection and remove the wiring harness, so I can ship it to Mckinney motor sports, then remove the fan, pulleys, pwr steering pump, A/C pump, turbo & manifold.

About an hour ago UPS delivered a bunch of parts from Mckinney. Oh joy! :D As if that wasn't enough, I just got off the phone with Brad aka S15DET. He is in town and is going to swing by my shop tomorrow morning to check out my project.The timing is uncanny! The universe is aligning.

Thanks,

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Make sure the oil pan is not dented or dished in the pick up is very close to the oil pan and you will not have any oil pressure. It seems to be a common problem with shipping these motors.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Cmac wrote: R160 will not hold up to 350hp over time. use the R180 or r200 3.7 ratio.

R160's won't last long with any boosted engine really. The stock ones break on NA motors so often that we don't have extra's because everyone buys them up. The clutch pack units die pretty quick after 200 WHP
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Cmac wrote:Make sure the oil pan is not dented or dished in the pick up is very close to the oil pan and you will not have any oil pressure. It seems to be a common problem with shipping these motors.
thanks Cmac,

I'm pretty sure that oil pan has been through hell and back. I'll be sure to check it.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Cmac wrote:Make sure the oil pan is not dented or dished in the pick up is very close to the oil pan and you will not have any oil pressure. It seems to be a common problem with shipping these motors.
thanks Cmac,

I'm pretty sure that oil pan has been through hell and back. I'll be sure to check it.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

icehouse wrote:
Cmac wrote: R160 will not hold up to 350hp over time. use the R180 or r200 3.7 ratio.

R160's won't last long with any boosted engine really. The stock ones break on NA motors so often that we don't have extra's because everyone buys them up. The clutch pack units die pretty quick after 200 WHP
At this point I think I'll bite the bullet and get an 04, WRS STi r180 and take care of it right the first time. I'm not a big believer in disposable diffs.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I think Icehouse overstates the fragility of the R160, especially the R160LSD. Sure, as mentioned, behind 350HP it won't live a long life, but they aren't made of glass. Torque kills diffs anyway, not HP.

And then there's Dave Lum who had 20 or so drag-strip launches on his R160LSD before it blew. Behind a 222HP VG30DE and, later, the VG30DETT.

In the end, as with all things, YMMV.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I had a great time today working with Ron on his recent deliveries. I don't want to spoil anything, Ron, tell everybody about the good surprises.

I enjoyed meeting you, and thanks for lunch!
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

My hat is off to Brad, aka s15DET :!: Dude knows his s__t

We spent an incredibly productive, and informative 3 hours taring into the motor today, and found some very interesting surprises along the way. From the top, the inner diameter of the MAF housing is much larger than stock, the ECU is a Mines Pre tuned unit, the injectors are not stock, Thought they might be 440cc, though not sure of the actual size. We decided to remove the trani to check the clutch, and there were a few more surprises there, it has an after market clutch and pressure plat, all in great shape, and the flywheel has been lighted within inches of it's life. Most of the outer lip that extends past the starter teeth is gone, and the entire back side of the flywheel has been shaved out. I've posted picts

It looks like someone had put some money into this motor, but I'm not sure if this is good or bad at this point. Who know how this car was driven, or what harm these mods may have done if they weren't done right? Even though there are some cool parts, I would feel a bit more at ease if it were bone stock. I've read so many SR horror stories I guess I can't help but be pessimistic. Brad on the other hand seemed very exited to find one goody after the other. Maybe he knows something I don't (Well Ya) :mrgreen:

I've done some research on Mines ECUs and I believe what I have is a pre programed units that is tuned to work with specific mods. Brad noticed the 440cc sticker on the bottom left and figured that was the injector size it's tuned for. He also told me there is a good chance that it is set up for the higher octane Japanese gas, but I could run race fuel as an equivalent. What I don't know is whether I can use it with a higher boost turbo and get the kind of HP I'm looking for. I was hoping there might be someone out there who can positively identify what I have and tell me what I can do with it.

Brad I can't thank you enough!
Attachments
ECU.jpg
ECU.jpg (172.25 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
before.jpg
before.jpg (174.25 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
after.jpg
after.jpg (174.05 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

More
Attachments
MAF.jpg
MAF.jpg (193.1 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
injector.jpg
injector.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
flywheel.jpg
flywheel.jpg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Nissan Side Feed Injectors

185 cc / 125 WHP - Pink GA16
259 cc / 175 WHP - Red SR20DE
333 cc / 226 WHP - Grey SR20VE
370 cc / 250 WHP - Purple SR20DET (Note these fade and may appear light mauve/grey)
444 cc / 300 WHP - Brick Brown SR20DET (JDM S15)

The specified cc ratings (rate of flow) are at the standard fuel pressure of 3 bar (43.5PSI)
Maybe check the fuel pressure regulator... It could be changed to cheat instead of using bigger injectors.

But I have a feeling you will be might want to find some S15 ones.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

okayfine wrote:I think Icehouse overstates the fragility of the R160, especially the R160LSD. Sure, as mentioned, behind 350HP it won't live a long life, but they aren't made of glass. Torque kills diffs anyway, not HP.

And then there's Dave Lum who had 20 or so drag-strip launches on his R160LSD before it blew. Behind a 222HP VG30DE and, later, the VG30DETT.

In the end, as with all things, YMMV.

Incorrect he has an R180 LSD in his VG30DETT I actually Emailed him about it a long time ago and he couldn't even remember where he sent the R180 to for the conversion. So it's been in there a while.

My R160 LSD didn't even last a set of rear tires behind my SR and Franks didn't last half a set of rear tires. His KA-T pulls hard when the piston ring lands are still together. My ass dyno says over 250RWH 10lbs on a dual cam. We will see how long the one in Dave's turbo L series lasts.

In my opinion you are way better off even going with the STI unit. Do you know if they are clutch pack or VLSD?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Datsun 1600 Nut
Supporter

Post by Datsun 1600 Nut »

Just a quick question while it was mentioned here:
370 cc / 250 WHP - Purple SR20DET (Note these fade and may appear light mauve/grey)
444 cc / 300 WHP - Brick Brown SR20DET (JDM S15)
Where exactly must one look for the different colours on the various injectors?

Ron, build is looking really cool at the moment, I can only imagine you must be super excited to have motor combo and all your other goodies! Must be like an early christmas for you haha! 8)

Regards
Jared
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place..."

Current Car's:
1971 P510 1600 SSS Coupe
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1973 P510 1600 SSS
1973 620 Pickup
1979 PA10 1600J
1980 280ZX
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

MAF looks like a S15 The code should be Maf 22680 69fo1 . Nice score on the extra bits there was one motor locally that had an Os twin disk in it the other thing to look for is rear diffs with fresh sealer due to a LSD swap. I have been told that the newer LSD will fit into the old long nose r200. Not confirmed but something to ask about.

Brad knows his stuff he answered several crucial questions on my build.