Shawn’s ‘72 Driver

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: Shawn’s ‘72 Driver

Post by Byron510 »

Last weekend I build some lifting brackets out of some heavy angle I had kicking around my work shop. I learned that there is a very large variance of how the factory bumper bracket mounting nuts are welded to the body. I built the brackets at my own shop, using the Memorial car as a jig. The nuts in the bodywork are nearly 3/16” different from side to side! I guess this is why there is a ¾” adjustment slot in those bumper brackets!
Anyways, the lifting gear worked great. This is the first time I’ve ever picked up a car and slid the motor/trans underneath in one piece. My god this is an easy way to do things! I scratch my head and wonder why I’ve not done this before! The caveat is that you need a system to lift the car, but gees does it work slick, and paint work damage or fighting with the transmission to get it aligned with the motor inside the car; Very nice. Now that I have made the lifting brackets, you can bet I’ll be doing this again in future motor installs.
Attachments
DSC01713 (Small).JPG
DSC01713 (Small).JPG (54.49 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
DSC01719 (Small).JPG
DSC01719 (Small).JPG (59.84 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
DSC01720 (Small).JPG
DSC01720 (Small).JPG (59.74 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

In less than 20 minutes, we had the motor, trans and front X member in the car with very little effort at all. Wow, I like this. Here are some close ups of the lifting gear. I think I will build a spreader bar to bolt between the two just for safety in the future, but these jigs will stay in my 510 special tools box.
Attachments
DSC01715 (Small).JPG
DSC01715 (Small).JPG (61.83 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
DSC01714 (Small).JPG
DSC01714 (Small).JPG (62.86 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, the motor is now in, we can start to do some real sorting out. Shawn finished out the day be removing the headlight buckets so that he could start to install the trim on the front of the fenders. I started assembling the suspension.
It’s coming together. You can see in the shots below that there is a block of wood between the back of the head and the fire wall – I’ve yet to build a trans X member, that’ll be the next weekend I think. I have a Dave Carroll VG30 mount I may use, have to see. It sure would be nice to make the car a roller – very soon! Be even better when it runs!
Attachments
DSC01726 (Small).JPG
DSC01726 (Small).JPG (64.16 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
DSC01725 (Small).JPG
DSC01725 (Small).JPG (71.09 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
DSC01724 (Small).JPG
DSC01724 (Small).JPG (66.42 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Oh yea!! looking good!! I really like that color!!
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

any updates on the car Byron, when will it hit the road
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Aron – yes, there has been a couple of days spent on the car since the last update. I’ve been so busy that I haven’t downloaded the photos until tonight.

Last Sunday started with the assembly of the front suspension – new tie rods, new ball joints and new rubbers in the T/C rods. The swaybar is yet to come. Then in was onto the struts. When I cut and shortened Shawn’s struts that were in the car, I had machined the weld off of the spring perch, and simply taped them off the strut tube. I then shortened the long 510 struts to accept the 280ZX inserts (Thanks Matt S!). I also wanted to use the 250# springs that I also bought from Matt with the inserts, but Shown isn’t ready for the investment to use the camber plates, and I didn’t have time to make up any adapter spring hats to utilize the 510 upper isolator and mount. So we opted to use the Wolfman springs that were in the car – stock 510 springs that were cut to about 2/3rds their original length. The spring rate would be higher, maybe 130-140 lbs, and I welded the spring perch to a height where there would be 3” of compression before hitting the stock height bump stop. The car sits a bit higher than I’d like, but it’ll have good suspension travel. Shawn would like to have seen it a bit lower, however this revamp will have to wait for another day. I took a photo of the car finally sitting on its own four feet, but for some reason it’s not on the card – I must have had the camera at the wrong setting or something…no good photos to show except the font suspension and a list of the Mood part numbers marked for their proper installation location.
Now we’ll have to bring the rear up to match the front (as it too is just barely off the bump stops, likely would be on the stops with a tank of fuel and a driver).

Byron
Attachments
DSC02758 (Small).JPG
DSC02758 (Small).JPG (46.14 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
DSC02759 (Small).JPG
DSC02759 (Small).JPG (57.67 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
DSC02760 (Small).JPG
DSC02760 (Small).JPG (69.5 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Another full day spent on Shawn’s car. Shawn spent most of the day cleaning mechanical bits, painting up parts, scrubbing the crud off the outside of the DGV and cleaning out 4 years of bugs in the radiator fins! Last night I shortened two driveshaft’s in the lathe, and this morning I TIG’d them together (one for Shawn, one for the Bronze – just in case). I then drove out to dear ole dads place to work on Shawn’s car; got to work on "bolting in" my Dave Carrol trans X member I bought at Canby from Carter –three years ago! Unfortunately it didn’t fit. I'm not sure what was wrong. I was using the 81-83 style ZX gearbox in a 71 automatic car using the 280ZX trans mount. This X member did have ‘200SX into 510’ written on it, but it’s my knowledge that both the ZX and 77-79 SX boxes require the exact same custom mount(I used to have a jig and built about a dozen myself). I know there are differences in the tunnels, but I thought this was only in the width. In this case, the X member pressed the transmission right up into the top of the tunnel. So, I ended up heating and bending the bracket – essentially flattening out the exhaust bump a bit to keep the trans centered. Then I had to cut off one side, and add ¾” to it, bolted the cut parts back in the car, tacked them together, pulled it back out and welded it all up. It looks just fine now. The Dave Carroll part is plenty sckookum, no problem there. I then bolted in the driveshaft, finished putting all the e-brake cables back into place, installed the speedo cable, clutch flex line and starter. I think I’m pretty much done under the car. Shawn had to leave just after lunch; the dad came in to keep me company. I’d missed installing the backing plates behind the rotors, since the calipers were not in place yet, dad pulled the rotors, installed the backing plates, put the rotors back on and installed the calipers. I meanwhile started hooking up all the electrical in the instrument cluster area. Man, there are a lot of plugs not used! Anyway, I did get most things hooked up, then went into the engine bay and started replacing a few old bad connectors and hooking up the electrical stuff there as well. That rounded out the day. The brakes are ready to fill and bleed, as is the clutch. The dash is back together, she’s pretty close to firing up. We still need to get the gasket for the 90 degree oil adapter, and I noticed that the water temp sending unit is missing. A new sender is cheap, but I’ll need to find the nut as well. The carb will go on now that the steering column is in place (another job dad and I tackled). I’ll still need to bring the rear up off its bump stops. I have a set of ¼” spacers that may do the trick – have to see.
It’s getting close, and looking good. We still don’t have bumpers for the project, and funds are low. It may have some pretty rough ones installed for now, it’s all we can do, really. I don’t think we can have it ready for the All Japanese Show, but definitely have it together for June (atleast I bloody hope so!)

Byron
Datsun 1600 Nut
Supporter

Post by Datsun 1600 Nut »

Love that colour, it's so unusual! Keep the updates coming...

Jared
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place..."

Current Car's:
1971 P510 1600 SSS Coupe
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1973 P510 1600 SSS
1973 620 Pickup
1979 PA10 1600J
1980 280ZX
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

For some strange reason I didn't think I had photos of the car after last weekend’s work - well, I guess I was blind because there were right in front of me.

Shawn’s car is starting to look complete! Here she is.

Byron
Attachments
DSC02809 (Small).JPG
DSC02809 (Small).JPG (63.16 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Lookin' great Byron!

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Datsun 1600 Nut
Supporter

Post by Datsun 1600 Nut »

Looks real good Byron, what wheels are those? :P

Jared
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place..."

Current Car's:
1971 P510 1600 SSS Coupe
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1973 P510 1600 SSS
1973 620 Pickup
1979 PA10 1600J
1980 280ZX
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

that looks so nice Byron, is your brother getting excited? and willit be at the spring show?..... it has to be at the spring show!

I hope to see some new faces out there, with cars

Aron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Ash510 wrote:that looks so nice Byron, is your brother getting excited? and will it be at the spring show?..... it has to be at the spring show!

Aron

Thanks for all the comments guys – yes Shawn is excited about driving it.

That would be cool if it was at the spring show, but there are no plans to make it at the moment. I won’t have time to get it there. I'm away all next week (including Monday), and the show is next weekend...

Byron
Byron510

Need help!

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Guys,

I need help in locating either rebuilt calipers or a rebuild kit (seals) for a 71 PL510.

I spent the day working on Shawn’s car today - it's so close! My dad helped me with the brake pedal duties and we bleed the system. The front calipers appear to be sticking, so I guess I need to go through them, but there is no stock locally for parts. I have one rebuild kit which I'm saving for the Memorial car, and it would appear that Shawn will need a set for his stock brakes. I tried Rock Auto, and got bounced back saying no stock - is there any source anyone knows of that has stock? If so, please let me know.

After the brakes, we moved onto bleeding the clutch. As pressure started to build, I could see the slave flexing quite a bit, so I tried to tighten the bolts - both holes completely stripped out! Damn! I guess the PO of this box was a bit ham-fisted! Anyways this will require a heli-coli kit to repair as the threads are chewed right out.
Then we moved on to wiring - lots of surprises here. If you've ever done a engine wiring harness to dash harness complete connection, you'll know that you can mix up a plug or two - well Shawn did this, and it confused the hell out of me at first. Then the ground on the drivers side was not grounded - this caused all kinds of pretty odd issues. In the end, I managed to get all tail lights working, but no front marker or any signal lights at all. the 4 way flashers work fine, so I know that the bulbs all work. I'll need to play with this some more later - so I moved on.
\Shawn drained out the old oil, and replaced it with new. We had to file out the ID of a new copper gasket to fit the drain plug properly. I had to cut out a gasket for that funky 90 degree oil filter adapter - apparently the 240SX one IS NOT the same - same bolt pattern, but the actual ID and OD are bigger on this one, so I just cut a gasket out of some gasket material and punched the holes.

So Shawn’s car sits on it's wheels once again tonight - looks good, I have to say. It's so close to starting up, we can almost taste it.

Just for fun, Shawn ran his old 510 through the emissions test today - no oil change, no tune up - barely got the thing warm - drove it a whole 3 kms; the car passed with flying colours! I guess this will make the next owner of the car happy - it runs great. Anyways, Shawn had two offers on the car today as he drove it around - had to laugh. It's a beater, but it still gets attention.

I sure hope to update this thread soon with Shawn driving this green car! It’s so close. But for now we’ll need to address the brake issue.

Byron
iceD

Post by iceD »

I have not bought anything here but they list a part.
http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/?N= ... partfinder

ice D