Picked up a 69 4dr

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Picked up a 69 4dr

Post by okayfine »

As cool as the dragon is (street legal? :lol: ), I think I like the flammable organ a lot more. Thank you.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

As cool as those things look, they don't look any kind of safe, we need to ban people from making those. I can see a terrorist now running down the street in that thing! jk....I wanna drive that beast to my office and start cleaning out the management!!
Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

Just need to figure out what I am going to do with the black and yellow wires that used to go to the start inhibitor thingy. I should most likely put them back where I found them. Next step in the process is to tap into/onto the black yellow on back of ignition switch to send power to solinoid in trunk. I ran it for a few days without this setup and it was running out of power or something. Not sure the alternator charge was getting to the battery. This new wire should fix it. Oh and first I bought a power block from best buy and guess what? I also went to the stereo shop and they had a better block same brand for $10. instead of the $31.00 ! I spent at best buy :wacko: thats crazy I will be taking that one back. So for $54. 00 at the stereo shop I was able to buy the power block, 17 feet of 8 guage wire, a 60amp fuse and fuse holder and a couple of other pices of wire that I just may find a use for. Now just need to rewrap those engine bay wires.

Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

left to right on power block.
electric fan switch
straight to alt
14g fuse link to white/red- ignition switch and a small white to the electric regulator that works with the matchbox dizzy

you can see the start inhibit switch where the b/y wires used to go. I have removed the one that went to the starter since it will be activated by trunk solenoid. So I have the other two B/Ywires left they used to be jumper ed together at the inhibit switch- I took that apart not sure I need that. If I have electronic ignition do I still need the points relay? From what I read I don't think so. However it is an automatic.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Micatom33 wrote:Image
So minty!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
shacks510

Post by shacks510 »

Micatom33 wrote:Image
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

got new exhaust put in . 2 inch from stock manifold to a resonator and into flo/pro muffler- magnaflow stainless type- the guy did a really great job. I see if I cant get under there and take a picture. Also I am in my final stages of getting this thing running right. I noticed that it was stumbling in the ignition area and wanted to put in a new cap and rotor. so off to the parts store when I noticed that I had been using the wrong rotor. I was using one from a smaller distributors that I have laying around so the spark was having to jump up and over about a 1/4 inch :roll: My bad. Hey guess what it runs much better now with the correct one in there. Next I will work on getting the kick down cable hooked up.
Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

After doing some thinking I decided that maybe I should look in the garage and locate the part that the throttle kick down cable was attached to before. I would not throw it away so it must be in there somewhere. I found it and installed it and it is working better than ever.

Now just looking to take care of fuel return line (WTB) in classifieds . The old setup was with both lines going to the Hitachi carb. I would really like to have one of the original duel hard lines with the "regulated" flow that returns to the tank.

Next issue? hmmm I might be running out of them untill....
James

Post by James »

The set up you show in the classifieds is for a 240z with dual su carbs......
You may want to clarify that you are looking for the 510 equivalent with a single car (fuel feed and return hard line).
Finished is better than perfect......
Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

Ok lets be clear. The part I need is for the car in this thread. :wink:
I will update the wanted ad.
Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

At this point I just have a bolt plugging the fuel return line next to the fuel filter. I understand that this is not a regular thing for 510's but seems like a real good Datsun alternative to taking care of fuel return line issue. I would be glad to hear any positive direction solutions to getting this taken care of.

If it works on a 240 L motor why not on mine? Plus this would help circulate the fuel which means cooler fuel and possibly avoid any vapor lock problems.

Does this make sense?
James

Post by James »

My sister in law's early '70 had a return line. The fitting at the carb was different, but I don't remember how we dealt with getting both lines around the engine to the other side of the car (its had su's on it for 8 years now. It is a stock thing, so someone here must know how it was handled originally......
Finished is better than perfect......
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

My 73' has the vapor return line also. I now use it for a return fuel line, with a "restriction pill" at the fuel tank. This does ensure nice cool fuel always being available at the carb for the most part. You would need some sort of restriction, otherwise there would be no pressure at the needle and seat.

My restriction is a soldered brass fitting, with a .035" hole in it. Now, in my case again, a have a high pressure electric pump, but, I see no reason why a mechanical pump would not work, you just might have to experiment with the hole size, just to get the pressure right in the system. A fuel pressure gauge would let you see what is going on.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

when looking at this part I was thinking that the block at the end of the line did have some sort of restriction in it. If not would the fuel not just keep going around and back to the tank on the 240 set-up with this part? I will post some pictures this evening to sort out what I am talking about. On my blue 2dr the vapor recovery line has also been relocated to the firewall area and nothiong is hooked up to it but the check valvey thing.
Attachments
Fuel return line.JPG
Fuel return line.JPG (22.82 KiB) Viewed 4603 times