The least reliable, "reliable L series" ever

View and post your 510 project(s)
merlin
Supporter

Re: Oops, I broke my '68 510.

Post by merlin »

jim.nos wrote:
okayfine wrote:
jim.nosella wrote:My car is PL510-070262. That number seems far too big to be a '68. Strange.
believe it or not, they actually issued new vins... they got sued for this in canada in the 70's, so that part is on the legal record.. i have at couple scans of replacement pL411firewall plates with new and old vin plates, and a super confidential letter from nissan saying to do the deed and "burn after reading".
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

wow thats scary :shock: very lucky it wasnt worse ... I remember this car for sale. A guy from school told me about this one, said it belonged to a friend of his who owned a junk yard or something? he said it beat his other friends Camaro badly :lol: I realy like the rear flares ... I assume you found another a arm?
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

It has a 4.1 rear end so yeah, it's pretty quick because of it.

The guy I bought it from, well I'm not 100% sure what he did for a living.

I got another control arm from Specialty. Right now I've just been too busy with other things to weld reinforcements before mounting it. I've also been humming and hawing over changing over to a dual master just in case something happens again.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I can't help but notice in your previous pics that your swing arm don't have the doubler that mine have, maybe it's a JDM or SSS thing....but check these out....this is a stock set, came from the factory this way I am sure.....this is an extra set I have that I am currently building for my coupe, so sorry, you can't have them :wink: . But I can look for a set for you......
Attachments
IMG_8387.JPG
IMG_8386.JPG
IMG_8385.JPG
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

Lazy lazy me finally did some work.

Better than before.

Fixed up the seams in a couple places as well.

Glass beaded

Primed

I don't think I'm going to keep them ugly green, black is going to be the second coat.
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

Nice Jim,
Glad to see you're getting places.
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

JIm, do you think you'll have the car together for the spring show at the end of April?
It would be nice to see your car again - it has a long history in the 510 Club :D
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

Byron510 wrote:JIm, do you think you'll have the car together for the spring show at the end of April?
It would be nice to see your car again - it has a long history in the 510 Club :D
Byron
most definitely
iceD

Post by iceD »

I was wondering when this subject was going to come up. This picture is from page 114 in How to hot rod ... Has anyone done this mod? It shows the inside curve reinforced similar to factory piece goichi showed.

ice D 8)
Attachments
P1240001.JPG
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The above reinforcement was almost manditory on rally cars, and only more so now that our parts are over 40 years old!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

We cut mine out, 27 years ago, both to strengthen it, and to let me run some funky wheels back then. We had seen failures starting back then, even before rust had started to weaken things, let alone the stress of racing on big wheels and tires.
Attachments
notched control arm for wide tires.JPG
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

Yo Jim.
Finish your car :mrgreen:

I could still win the race to completion :lol:
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

I've got 2 jobs and a full time hobby man. My minivan is good enough transportation for now. Ugh.

When disassembling the car initially, the exhaust got in the way of one of the bolts which holds the rear LCA on. Naturally, I cut it off assuming that it was an ordinary bolt that I could just grab a replacement out of the parts bin for but oh that's not the way they wanted to do it.

So I need to modify some bolts and I haven't exactly done that yet because... well because.

In hindsight, if the exhaust got in the way of disassembly, how the heck was I supposed to reassemble it? I should have cut off the exhaust (which needs to be repaired anyway).

I'm the kind of person who will see one thing wrong and turn it into a much larger project than it needs to be. Case and point, I've got a boat in the back yard with a chip about the size of a dime. I'm considering refinishing the whole boat because it will end up new and shiny.

Finished is better than perfect, finished is better than perfect, finished is better than perfect...
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

Well, last Thursday, Friday and Saturday I buckled down and decided that "summer" had arrived and I should finish my car.

After a good 14 or so hours of work, I finally have everything installed. Picked up a temporary operating permit and was having a little bit of fun last weekend. Only regret was that I didn't start earlier so I could make it on the Run Beyond Hope with the other guys (so I can finally meet some faces behind the usernames).

I'll take a couple pics of my finished job once my camera charges.

Now that it runs and drives, next little thing which needs to be done is a new thermostat because it's running a little bit hot... 240°F hot.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Congrats on the "first start" even if it isn't.

The 240° - how are you measuring that? That's borderline damaging, if that's the actual temp.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson