SR20DET 510...

View and post your 510 project(s)
jeremy_gass

SR20DET 510...

Post by jeremy_gass »

I thought I should start a thread for my project. I'm 19 years old and its been a father/son project since we bought it. bought the car from Montana as a scca car with an l16 then traded the motor for LZ24, dual 45dcoes and custom made header, crane cams ign, 2.5inch exhaust so on.... LZ24 is now in need of a rebuild. but kinda convinced dad to go sr.... so we will be selling all the old school parts to help buy parts we need for the swap....

some pics of the car...

my bmw beside it instead of selling it did a motor swap last year..

made a brace to keep it from moving when cut out...

all welded up.

then the next night in the garage....

also bump steer spacers cam in the mail.
battery already in the trunk so i removed the tray

and this is whats on the way....

also will make a fuel surge tank and use my old fuel pump to fill it then a inline walbro 255...will the stock fuel pressure regulator work or will i need an aftermarket one?
was thinking about using a VW rad any suggestions for a rad would be a good help...
also need a top mount manifold that i can use my stock turbo on, thinking log style something low cost.
jeremy_gass

Re: SR20DET 510...

Post by jeremy_gass »

also how do i get pics to fit?
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

jeremy_gass wrote: also will make a fuel surge tank and use my old fuel pump to fill it then a inline walbro 255...will the stock fuel pressure regulator work or will i need an aftermarket one?
was thinking about using a VW rad any suggestions for a rad would be a good help...
also need a top mount manifold that i can use my stock turbo on, thinking log style something low cost.
I would just get a fuel pump out of a 84-87 300zx turbo, all you have to do is cut a hole in the 510 gas tank and weld the flange from the 300zx one in there. The stock FPR will probably work, unless you plan on turning the boost up a lot. I used a radiator from Ron Davis, it's a part number 1A-22163, it's 22x16x3" and it fits in there good. You're going to have to modify the outlet on the radiator to get it to work with the SR though if you're not moving the engine back any. You can look through my build and find where I modified mine, I think it's page 13 or 14. You also have to modify the outlet neck on the engine too, that's also in my build. Not sure who makes a top mount manifold for the T25 though, I upgraded and got a t3/t4 turbo and you can get top mount manifold from http://www.treadstoneperformance.com for a t3 turbo that is right around $300.00.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

jeremy_gass

Post by jeremy_gass »

think i might give this a try....
$280 shipped made for stock turbo for the sr 510's haven't seen any with it...

jeremy_gass

Post by jeremy_gass »

spoolinitup33 wrote:
jeremy_gass wrote: also will make a fuel surge tank and use my old fuel pump to fill it then a inline walbro 255...will the stock fuel pressure regulator work or will i need an aftermarket one?
I would just get a fuel pump out of a 84-87 300zx turbo, all you have to do is cut a hole in the 510 gas tank and weld the flange from the 300zx one in there. The stock FPR will probably work, unless you plan on turning the boost up a lot. I used a radiator from Ron Davis, it's a part number 1A-22163, it's 22x16x3" and it fits in there good. You're going to have to modify the outlet on the radiator to get it to work with the SR though if you're not moving the engine back any. You can look through my build and find where I modified mine, I think it's page 13 or 14. You also have to modify the outlet neck on the engine too, that's also in my build. Not sure who makes a top mount manifold for the T25 though, I upgraded and got a t3/t4 turbo and you can get top mount manifold from http://www.treadstoneperformance.com for a t3 turbo that is right around $300.00.

Thanks for the good info! rad looks good... you run an over flow tank? how much was the rad/where did you buy it? ill probably never find a 84-87 300zx turbo tank/pump around so i think I'm going to make the extra surge tank....it will be a stock turbo/boost for now so the stock regulator should work.....
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

The 300zx tank mod is the way to go, the more stuff you put outside the tank, the more chance or something leaking. I found mine on ebay, the guy was selling the entire tank, I contacted him and asked if he woulld cut it out for me, which he did and shipping was really cheap, i think I got the pump and flange for like 40 bucks?? it was cheap and not hard to install/weld in.
jeremy_gass

Post by jeremy_gass »

goichi1 wrote:The 300zx tank mod is the way to go, the more stuff you put outside the tank, the more chance or something leaking. I found mine on ebay, the guy was selling the entire tank, I contacted him and asked if he woulld cut it out for me, which he did and shipping was really cheap, i think I got the pump and flange for like 40 bucks?? it was cheap and not hard to install/weld in.

weld in any baffles?
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

jeremy_gass wrote:
goichi1 wrote:The 300zx tank mod is the way to go, the more stuff you put outside the tank, the more chance or something leaking. I found mine on ebay, the guy was selling the entire tank, I contacted him and asked if he woulld cut it out for me, which he did and shipping was really cheap, i think I got the pump and flange for like 40 bucks?? it was cheap and not hard to install/weld in.

weld in any baffles?
There is a baffle down in the 300zx tank that is plastic and the fuel pump sits in it. You just take it out along with the pump and put it in your 510 tank. Believe me, I was gonna make a surge tank, and I worked on it for a while, then gave up and installed a 300zx pump lol.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

jeremy_gass wrote:think i might give this a try....
$280 shipped made for stock turbo for the sr 510's haven't seen any with it...

Where did you find that manifold? You can get one from mckinney motorsports, it's expensive, but I'm sure it wouldn't crack and it will work with the stock turbo. http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/prod ... SWAP+PARTS If I remember correctly, that radiator is $279.00, and no I don't have an overflow tank. I just called ron davis and ordered the radiator.
jeremy_gass

Post by jeremy_gass »

that manifold is on eBay search sr20det 510 and it comes up... looks half descent...
also was looking at this rad on ebay for a 510 less then 250shipped...

Core Dimensions: 19 3/4" wide x 14 1/4" tall (3 row core)
Overall Dimensions: 24" wide x 16 1/2" tall
Upper inlet: 1 5/16" located on driver side.
Lower outlet: 1 5/16" located on passenger side.
FREE SLEEVES AVAILABLE TO MAKE 1 1/2" INLET OR OUTLET (please request)
Auto trans cooler: included
OEM mount system
OEM style brass petcock drain.
Billet style fill neck construction NOT STAMPED
Radiator cap is included

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jeremy_gass wrote:also was looking at this rad on ebay for a 510 less then 250shipped..
Check the overall measurements. I don't think it'll fit (height-wise) without some cutting on your end.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

jeremy_gass wrote:that manifold is on eBay search sr20det 510 and it comes up... looks half descent...
You might want to pay a little more and get a good manifold. I'm not saying that the one on ebay is bad, but a friend of mine bought a manifold off of ebay and ended up dishing out a little more money for a better one down the road because the ebay manifold kept cracking. And I agree with okayfine, I don't know if that radiator would fit or not, mine fits in there with no room to spare and it's 16" tall.
jeremy_gass

Post by jeremy_gass »

spoolinitup33 wrote:
jeremy_gass wrote:that manifold is on eBay search sr20det 510 and it comes up... looks half descent...
You might want to pay a little more and get a good manifold. I'm not saying that the one on ebay is bad, but a friend of mine bought a manifold off of ebay and ended up dishing out a little more money for a better one down the road because the ebay manifold kept cracking. And I agree with okayfine, I don't know if that radiator would fit or not, mine fits in there with no room to spare and it's 16" tall.
that true about the ebay manifolds... i might make the manifold I'm not sure yet... and the rad seems realy close need to do some more measuring....

whats everyone suggest for fuel lines? i seen some people run 5/16th both ways some use 3/8th to feed and 5/16 to return. i already have a 5/16 there might use that for my return then bend up a 3/8th to feed it....
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

jeremy_gass wrote:
spoolinitup33 wrote:
that true about the ebay manifolds... i might make the manifold I'm not sure yet... and the rad seems realy close need to do some more measuring....

whats everyone suggest for fuel lines? i seen some people run 5/16th both ways some use 3/8th to feed and 5/16 to return. i already have a 5/16 there might use that for my return then bend up a 3/8th to feed it....
I used 5/16 both ways.