Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
Bike papa
Supporter

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Post by Bike papa »

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/141130/n ... -153-lives

So I'm guessing that this incident could have been from Air India's lack of proper maintenance ?

It's a good thing the captain was on his game that day
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Would be my first guess....

I see no end to my travel opportunities, until I decide its time to stop. Going to be a struggle having a place built from the other side of the world. I'm going to have to really screen my builder when that time comes.....
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Just fix the build site with webcams, and maybe attach a GoPro of few to the local cats/dogs, ensuring 24/7 coverage so you can monitor it from the world. :)
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if anyone is from the states is selling a car to someone in Canada, I have just gone through the process to be able to do so. AESDirect account, ($200, get an IRS tax ID, take a semi difficult quiz, etc) and a contact at the Lynden border crossing to give me some guidance. It is a bit of a pain to fill out the shipping form to get the ITN number for the form that you must fax to the crossing, but it is doable.

Here are a few details to save you some time asking questions if you are doing this:

-Must have the IRS number, to get the AESDirect acct. Google IRS tax number to get started. It'll be on the menu.
-Must have the AESDirect acct to be able to fill out the shipping form to get the ITN number.
-Once you have the form with all the pertinant info on it (ITN, VIN, title number, shippers info, etc), and you fax it to the crossing you are using, the 72 hour holding time starts, and you can't bring the car(s) accross before then.
-Only allowed to bring them accross Mon-Fri, and must be through before 3:30pm.
-You and your buyer should meet at the crossing, because as you are exporting, they are importing, and they need to do the work at their end to do so.
-All of the above reasons are a good argument for using a freight forwarder, if costs are acceptable. They seemed a bit high to me, as I am a bit of a control freak, and need to do things like this for myself. My own form of OCD.
-Cars without titles CANNOT be exported. The Rx4 is on hold until I can get one. Takes 3 years, with that car's title status in an 'ownership in question' condition. I wish I'd've started that process when I got it- I'd almost be there now. That requires a trip to the State Patrol for an inspection/VIN verification.

I hope this helps those heading that direction. Feel free to ask questions through a PM if you need to.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Well, it's official- I am (almost) rotary Mazda free. I have sold the Rx2 and Rx7, and all the associated parts. Border crossing went as smooth as it could have. Rx4 couldn't go yet, because I have yet to go through the process of the State Patrol inspection, and application for the title. No 'ownership in question' titles allowed to be exported/imported. Oh well. Once I got the Rx4 on the trailer and got to stare at it from a little distance, I didn't want to sell it. This may be a sign....
Darryl Cavanaugh
gooned

Post by gooned »

Camano510 wrote:Once I got the Rx4 on the trailer and got to stare at it from a little distance, I didn't want to sell it. This may be a sign....
I've mostly just sold projects that were rusting faster than I was fixing them, never been easy to let something go though...and man do I miss most of the ones that left. :cry:

But sometimes the knowledge that someone else is going to carry the torch helps, I really like the saying I heard a while back- something about being caretaker for the time we spend with a project.

Hopefully you found good homes for them.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I'd like to think I did find a good home. The Rx2 was my first car, and I was its second owner. I had it for 30 years! The new owner is excited, and the Rx2 is his dream car. Add to that he's from New Zealand, and I like the chances of the car's future.

The Rx4 will be on the back burner(not like it's been anywhere else since I brought it home) until much later. I still have to arrange the WSP inspection, and I'm leaving again for an extended time in early January....
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Have spent a lot of the Xmas break getting a bunch of stuff handled around the house and shop. Man, is the wife mad at the number of hours I've spent out there, but, it is NICE getting out there and spending some real time getting things handled. I've put myself in the "if you touch it, you put it where it goes/install it" mode. That or it "goes'. Several trips to the dump/scrap guy. Feels GREAT to acquire all the extra space, and to not have all the stuff to move once the time comes. All the project's/car parts organized and ID'd, and it's the best feeling to know I won't be stumbling over stuff while I'm finishing other tasks. Free's me up to work projects I've collected all the materials and designs for. It only benefits me, while I' m still here, and for the next owner. Makes it easier to sell, too. New buyer may feel unable to say no, once he see's what he's getting! I predict a bunch of husband/wife private conversations: "But HONEY! Did you see the SHOP?! I can do SO many things for YOU out there and not make a mess in the house!"

I'm BANKING on it.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Well, as is the norm, I am on the other side of the planet, again. Back to Mumbai for reliability mods/service bulletins on the plastic-fantastic. They have 18 of them, and we just finished the one I spent a month working on last year. Once its back in service, it will be they're 'cleanest dirty shirt'. I'm predicting a return date sometime in May. Ugh.

Someday, my 2 door will be back on the road. This is no longer a 'Father-Son' project- He's 21 now, working and going to school. I am taking 'ownership' of this project, and any disaproval of its timeline lays solely on me. Fortunateley, the only person who is having an issue with it is The Warden, and since she has no real authority once she sets foot across the shop threshold, It's not an issue.

Still lurking, taking notes, making plans....
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Kudo's to funwithmonkeys build. Grabbing a couple thoughts. On his offset BMC, the question was posed about the ratio on the pivot. Is there an advantage 'created' if you were to use a larger bore BMC, with the 'correct' pivot ratio? Can someone do that math for us? This seems like THE way to go when using a sidedraft set up on LHD cars. Eliminate the requirement for the booster, potential for a new vacuum leak, etc. Am I the only one looking at this? Andy's work looks amazing, BTW. Very encouraging to see a shop STILL willing to provide this service. A RARE thing these days.

If its only a space saver, that is still worthwhile, no doubt. Just tossing it out there.

Still in Mumbai. No end in site. Amazing this place possesses Nukes. You can't begin to understand how scary that is unless you've been here.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I built one for the Malconator last month, and bought parts to build 3 more.
Andy actually asked me to make the one for funwithmonkey's car - but I didn't have time. Was too busy buying a house. Now when I should be packing I'm doing a cage job - go figure.

Camano - are you looking for one of these for your car?

I built them with a 1:1 ratio, used a 15/16" M/C.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I am interested, Byron, for sure, but I posed the question about the ratio 'advantage' after discussing with okayfine about the pedal feel using the 15/16th BMC without the booster, and wondered if this was a work-around. If you are building them, then lets see what we can enginner here to improve the feel/effort/'deadness', and 're-introduce' a little leverage. Understand I'm not afraid of a hard pedal, just trying to make improvements that may pay off in more ways than one.

Like I said, just lurking and tossing it out there.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Sounds good. But this is something you'd just have to play with guess.
Nothing would change except the triangular bell crank mechanism.

Of course decreased effort means you’ll need more pedal stroke, so there are limits.

But it would be interesting to play with.
In a graph of pedal stroke: BMC rod stroke, would 1.1:1 make a difference, or 1.25:1… you’d almost want to make up a few cranks and get some personal feedback on what works for you. For instance dropping from 1.2:1 down to 1.25:1 (20-25% less stroke), would this make a significant enough difference for you to actual notice? It’s be an interesting experiment.

On Malcolm’s first 90 adapter which was built by someone else, the push rod from the pedal back to the bell crank failed. The design was perfect, and honestly I also think it’s a great idea. Geometry was the initial issue of the failure as the rod came off the side of the brake arm and not centered like the OEM brake rod is. However the fact that the rod could buck in any situation told me that it wasn’t big enough. When I reengineered it, I insisted we step up from the 5/16 hardware to 10mm hardware, and buy good quality joints. So we ended up with Aurora rod ends which were significantly better quality. And in this way I was able to utilize the OEM brake rod clevis, putting the pin in double sheer and centering the loads. Your brake system is just something you don’t mess around with, period. I was happy with the re-engineering of the whole set up.

It’s a good discussion, your name is on one if/when I get around to it.  I seem to remember a little help you gave me years ago – sight unseen. I’d be more than happy.

Good luck on the job abroad, hope your home soon.

Byron
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I agree with your statements. After all is said and done, will I be in the same position if I just go with a 7/8th BMC, and a straight 1/1? I guess I was trying to gain some kind of advantage with the larger BMC. I guess the way to alter pedal travel would need to be done through altering where the rod comes off the pedal assembly and its relationship to the pedal pivot. Then, are we going to a world of diminishing returns versus effort?

Glad I got the math rolling in your head. I have a 240Z BMC (7/8th) for the car (per Julian). If you get a chance to build one, just go 1/1 on the pivot arm.

Our earlier deal was specifically for the huge amount of time needed for that project. I refuse to not pay you for your time for fab work. Its just not my way. Don't be offended.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I would agree that there are diminishing returns. What I would be concerned with when playing with the ratio is - say for instance you are using a 1 1/16" ZX master, then put you ratio at 1.5:1.... You're have a fixed stroke on the pedal box. Effectively you can not utilize the full stroke of the M/C before the pedal bottoms out. If you were other have a partial failure, this could be an issue. So best not to play with it.

You're signed up, when ever I get around to it. I'll be honest, I'm moving in a fee weeks, and then I get to build me a garage over the summer/fall. I'm going to be so busy that I'm thinking I may not even put plates on the the Bronze this summer....

Likely, this will be a next winter project.

Byron