Jordan's '72 2 door KA project

View and post your 510 project(s)
JordanTr

Re: Jordan's '72 2 door KA project

Post by JordanTr »

Big thanks to Byron and his father for helping bend the tubing the other night. :D

It went very well; we only had 2 "learning" bends. After that, we were able to pound through the rest of them relatively quickly. I had made up some plywood templates of what we wanted the bends to be so they were a real help.
I don't have any pics of the bent tubing yet but they'll be some pretty soon here.

Here is the jig with the bearing and bushing housings in place and the shock mount bolted up. The arrows on the plywood point to where the tubing will go. I hope I'll be able to cope with the coping!!

Finished powdercoating the rims this Saturday too! I promise this'll be the last picture of these guys!

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Dear Ole dad dropping by later last night with a wicked custom pizza sure hit the spot, considering all the local joints were past closing time.

Bending up the tubing was fun, glad to help you out Jordan. It's a cool little side project. I was happy to vet you in the shop, sorry I had to make you wait into the evening, both my kids were in soccer tournaments this weekend. I'm actually surprised we got the task done in such a short time frame. And thanks for sticking around while I reorganize my shop. Definitely more space is in order.

Take the coping of the tubing slowly. When you get into shallow angles, it does get a bit tricky. Trust your eyes, relationships change quickly.

You remember us talking about making the outboard tube in one piece, sort of making a squashed H out of the two tubes? My reason for that is the torque I envision the are under load. What about adding a piece of tubing at three outboard side of the joint half was down the arm, but not in so much as to impose on your outer rim clearance. Just a thought.

Keep the photos coming as I know you will.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I started the big task today. I picked up a new grinder and coping bit today so I don't have to make so many tool changeovers.

The day started with this:

To this:

It was meant to be!!

After doing my first cope, I made a template from some 12ga plastic we had kicking around. I clamped it on there with some hose clamps and then heated it up with a heat gun to hold its shape. I used the die grinder to cut out the shape in the plastic. It makes it a lot easier since I use a zip wheel, then grinding wheel and then the coping grindstone to finish it off. The more I can zip out at first, the easier the rest is. In hindsight, I could have found a properly sized piece of pvc pipe too but the pipe pile is outside in the dark.

First cope done!

One tube fitted.... This is going to be a long process!

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Given the odd fitups, this may not help much, but it's been useful to me:
http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

pretty exciting Jordan!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Cant wait to see these finished!
looking for pass. side arm rest
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Ran off to the bush to visit a buddy of mine up north this weekend but I haven't been twiddling my thumbs at home! :D

Just have to do up the other arm now. Hopefully it'll go a lil quicker.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dude!!!!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

icehouse wrote:Dude!!!!
Sweet!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

wow that looks fantastic. If you ever feel like making more of them let me know!
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Nice work!!! You make a weld fixture for doing multiple arms? duh yes you did lol
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You did that tube proud Jordan.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Thanks for the kind words guys. She's going to be pretty sweet once finished. I've got another project up my sleeve that I'll be starting once the rear end is all back together. Should be a lot less ridiculous fab on the next project and a lot of readily obtainable bolt on parts. Pretty excited for that. Updates on that once the arms are done and the 510 is back on the ground. :D

Was able to test fit some rims on the arms as well. I tried R32 GTST rims (16x6.5ET40 with 5.3" backspace). As you can see, there is ample room for improvements... Limited by ~4" of "outspace"/poke on the rear of a 510 (i.e. 7JJ rim ET0), these arms and rolled fenders could clear a 16x9.5+35 rim. Whether that would clear the inner fender or not, I don't know but I doubt it.

I've been busy the last bit with a bunch of non 510 stuff (wreckering, squash, powdercoating, work etc) but I'm going back to the arms this afternoon. The bits for arm number 2 are all in the jig and ready for me to start coping.

Powdercoated cam sprockets for my buddy's Honda

Been working to modify the Z32 backing plates due to the rotated calipers. You can only see one caliper ear in the pic. This is pretty much as close to the Z32 orientation I could get given the design of the 510 semi trailing arms.

Went to a friends house this morn and got his KA running. Big shout out to Jeff for the help with remote troubleshooting! Here's a video of it running. Some of the local yocals may recognize the car!

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Bravo sir bravo
looking for pass. side arm rest
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Wait a minute, those arms look extremely similar to my design!

Nice work.

Scott.