Jordan's '72 2 door KA project

View and post your 510 project(s)
kayakdude07

Roadtrippin'

Post by kayakdude07 » 24 Jul 2011 19:25

Yesterday the car made its longest voyage--from Langley to Nakusp which is 600km.
All went well. No cooling issues. 5th gear and 65 mph up the snowshed hill and on the connector with stable temperatures.
A few pictures my gf took on our drive up :D
Fun fact of the day is that the car is a LOT quieter with the quarter windows closed. This was discovered about 10 minutes from our destination :lol:

I've got a few pictures of the filler neck process but no finished ones yet. I don't feel like taking everything out of my trunk and then taking the gas tank panel off.

step 1: get a filler neck and cap from something that will work. I used a '92 mazda b2200 filler neck but I also looked at the neck on a ford ranger pickup and it looked workable as well. I'm sure there are better option too but I needed to get this done before the road trip.

step 2: clean up the filler neck. I used a zip cutter to remove the bracket and the vapor line elbow and also to remove the paint and shorten the neck.

510 and mazda rings.

step 3: figure out how to mount it. I adapted the mazda neck to fit the 5 bolt pattern of the 510 filler neck so I didnt have to drill extra holes in my car.
I used a jig saw to cut out the center of the steel ring and a die grinder hog to clean it up afterwards.

step 3: making the 510 filler neck fit the mazda one. We didn't have the right size pipe so my dad and I silver soldered 2 layers together.
Layer one after clean up on the belt sander.

step 4: making the piece to join the split filler neck. Its 2 layers of pipe once again because we didn't have the right size and needed to get it done before the road trip.
Here's a picture of the joiner piece after clean up on the belt sander.

Step 5: make a gasket for the metal ring on the outside. (self explanatory) :lol:

Step 6: cut the filler neck and trim off the old flange. Hose clamp the hose together and bolt the mazda neck on and install the non leaky cap 8)

I have no finished pictures as I'm on vacation and not taking apart my car ATM but I will put some up soon.
Ideally the nuts would be brazed onto the mazda neck but that hasn't happened yet.

I also have a few pics of my sway bar with 240sx mounts and heim endlinks.

Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)

kayakdude07

Roadtrippin' 2

Post by kayakdude07 » 28 Jul 2011 22:53

Well, the car made the trip just fine. No issues.
It's a very nice driver but don't go too fast because it gets LOUD.
The KA was a great choice; I'm very happy..... for now... :twisted: The car is very drivable and throttle response is nice.
I have a few more pictures but I haven't gotten them from my gf yet.
I weighed the car with a full tank of gas as well as my girlfriend and I with camping gear on a truck scale and it read 1240 kg ~2730 lbs.
Today I weighed the car with just me and about a half tank of gas and a bunch of tools and a spare tire on a different truck scale and it read 1090 kg ~2400lbs.
Still kinda heavy :O I only weigh 155 :?

I've now been driving the car for a week and put on just shy of 1200 miles (2000km).
Things getting fixed in the immediate future are
∆Rattles in the cabin and the lack of cupholders.
∆I'm hoping to get my roof rack sorted out soon so I can drag my bike and boat out to fun places. I now have all the pieces (I just picked up 2 bike racks today).
∆Swap in the 7/8th master with the brake booster that's sitting on the shelf.
∆Anxiously wait for my camber plates to arrive and install them and fix the positive camber up front.
∆Fab up the steering box brace (materials already purchased).
∆Build up a harness bar so I can safely put the 4 point belts back into the car.

The long run plan is for staggered skyline wheels, 5 lug, z32 30mm front calipers/vented rotors and z31 rear calipers/vented rotors with integrated E-brake.
Front GTS-T wheels are 16x6.5 +40 and rear GTR wheels are forged 16x8 +30. I'm planning on running 205/40/16 up front and 215/40/16 on the rear. (215 might be a dream that could turn into 205... :? )
Suspension also needs to be fixed for this and the plan is to build coilovers for the front using 8" 280# springs and camber plates. Inserts are ??? atm.
The plan is to build onto S12 struts because they push the hub out more than 280zx struts and they have a correct (non narrowing) spindle angle. With +40 wheels I'm going to need the hub as far out as I can get it to get flush wheels. 8)
I'm planning on building adjustable LCAs and buying T3 T/C rods to get some castor up front.
My 1" sway bar will be the icing on the cake. :D

In the rear I'm planning for specialty 900s and tokico blues with a slotted crossmember.

mmmm dreaming :lol:
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)

kayakdude07

Updates

Post by kayakdude07 » 01 Mar 2012 21:47

So I just finished my reading break from second semester of mechanical engineering here at UBC. I've got an 8 month co-op term in Sparwood for the summer so I'm pretty excited for that.

Meanwhile back in the garage....

Bought coilover sleeves and spring perches from A1 racing http://shop.a1racing.com/cok12457.aspx
Machined fancy coilover sleeve perches using some 2.5" OD 0.5" wall DOM tube
Machined a spacer so I can fit my quick release hub and use my horn button
Assembled my custom coilovers with random junkyard springs ~250-275 rate
Installed new rear springs
Installed my camber plates and had a friend machine the strut inserts to fit.
Built brackets to install my wink mirror so I don't have to cut holes in my fancy white headliner
Fabbed up a steering box brace
Painted various parts
Installed my fancy new brake booster and 7/8" master

Pics as follows

Wink mirror

Brake booster

Painted sway bar

Steering box brace

Comparing GTR wheel (left), z32 wheel (right)

Z32 wheel mounted on random strut

Horn button spacer

Machined sleeve perch

Fancy balla powedercoated valvecover

Removing spring perches for coilovers

I used a zip cutter to cut some of the perch of and used a bfh to break through the rest

Assembled coilovers

New rear springs

new spring, random ?? spring, cut stock spring

As it sits

I am now on the warpath for some rims....so I can do big brakes... :twisted:

I asked at lordco for Tokico blues because they used to carry them but apparently they only carry monroe now. I don't know if the guy behind the counter that day was exceptionally useless or if this is really the case.
What do you guys out there run for rear shocks and 900s? I am pretty sure my KYBs are not set up for these tough springs.
Last edited by kayakdude07 on 12 Oct 2012 21:38, edited 2 times in total.

Byron510

Re: Updates

Post by Byron510 » 01 Mar 2012 23:27

kayakdude07 wrote:What do you guys out there run for rear shocks and 900s? I am pretty sure my KYBs are not set up for these tough springs.
I use KYB's in the back of the Bronze and they work fairly well. If anything they are too stiff on cold days.
I don't have a clue what they are off of. However a brand of shock isn't the issue, it's the application the shock was valved for that really counts. The KYB's I have are short, almost too short as I only have 1.5" of droop from ride height on the rear. But these shocks certainly keep my 1100 LBS springs under control.

I got them from Specialty Engineering and the price was reasonable - likely the same you'd pay at Lordco. The adjustable Ilumina's I put up front cost me dearly, but the rears were not so.

Give Tracey a call, let us know.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Jordan's '72 2 door KA project is ON THE ROAD

Post by okayfine » 02 Mar 2012 07:04

Jordan, one of the pictures in your most recent update shows the sway bar apparently contacting the T/C rod. Is this true at any point in the suspension travel?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

kayakdude07

Re: Jordan's '72 2 door KA project is ON THE ROAD

Post by kayakdude07 » 02 Mar 2012 09:15

okayfine wrote:Jordan, one of the pictures in your most recent update shows the sway bar apparently contacting the T/C rod. Is this true at any point in the suspension travel?
Yes, You are correct. I didn't realize it until right before I went back to school. This is most definitely a problem. I must not have realized it when I first made the bar and installed it with the old suspension because the car was much higher. I don't even think that RCAs would fix the problem. Maybe tall (1.25") RCAs and increased ride height would remedy the problem but it looks like I'm gonna have to bend up a new sway bar... I also don't want to dump money on zx RCAs because I'm going to need s12 RCAs soon when I run my S12 struts with my big brakes.
I have more stressproof so I think I will build a new one sometime and take the swaybar out for now. This time I'll build a better prototype bar first.
Last edited by kayakdude07 on 02 Mar 2012 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

S15DET
Supporter

Re: Jordan's '72 2 door KA project

Post by S15DET » 02 Mar 2012 10:27

Do you have enough material to make a bar for me? I've been talking about needing a sway bar for, oh, 34k miles now.

kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 » 02 Mar 2012 21:34

S15DET wrote:Do you have enough material to make a bar for me? I've been talking about needing a sway bar for, oh, 34k miles now.
I do have material but I'd like to perfect mine before I attempted to build one for someone else. I also have no time but I'll keep you posted.

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s » 03 Mar 2012 18:59

Nice work Jordan.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX
74 Jensen Healey

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal

kayakdude07

Rims!

Post by kayakdude07 » 19 Mar 2012 10:07

Well, after searching for months for a set of rims I finally got a set.
I had a few minutes apart from the grind of school so I got to play with them this weekend. Here are a few pics.
I tried them on the s2k just for the heck of it because my car isn't 5 lugged yet.

The tires (215/40) are far too small but it has a pretty nice stance.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 19 Mar 2012 10:19

Those the R32 rims? the510keeper has pictures of 'em on his Coupe.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 » 19 Mar 2012 10:54

You bet!!
There are a few 510s that have been done up with them. I like the fact that they are OEM forged Nissan rims. The offset is also quite good for a 510.

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 19 Mar 2012 10:59

Very nice find.

kayakdude07

More Rims

Post by kayakdude07 » 07 Apr 2012 17:00

I installed my t3 RCAs and adjustable TC rods and found that my 14" rims didn't fit anymore. I borrowed a set off a friend so that I can at least get rolling. Better update later on!

jerryhjones
Supporter

Post by jerryhjones » 07 Apr 2012 20:58

LOVE those rims. I had a black set of them on my wagon a long time ago - wish I still had them around.