David's VG33 Swap Finally Begins

View and post your 510 project(s)
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: David's VG30 Swap Finally Begins

Post by thisismatt »

NICKLE&DIME wrote:With the block being Iron and the heads being Aluminum, does this create a problem down the road for head gasket failure or warpage? Just wondering, I had this problem with my truck. Are you going to do any work to the cooling jackets?
All the L motors are iron blocks with aluminum heads, as are the KA motors, etc etc...why would it now be a problem?
I'm your huckleberry.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

NICKLE&DIME wrote:With the block being Iron and the heads being Aluminum, does this create a problem down the road for head gasket failure or warpage? Just wondering, I had this problem with my truck. Are you going to do any work to the cooling jackets?
Pretty sure that there will be no issues. It is a pathfinder engine and nissan installed this VG series engine into many of its cars for over 20 years.

At 180HP and 195 torque, I plan to leave it stock. (at least for now :shock: )
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

vgwagon wrote:The pathfinder distributor fits fine in my car.....where was it hitting on your car?
I went the pathfinder dizzy to clean up the engine bay as the coil is in the cap.....did the dizzy at least clear the 200sx intake?

I told you the headers would be worth while :roll: lol
Yes. It cleared the intake. Maybe the issue is the motor mounts. The team thump mounts have the engine sitting up pretty high. No biggy. The VG30 dizzy works and I can live with the coil mounted separately.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

qwik510 wrote:
vgwagon wrote:The pathfinder distributor fits fine in my car.....where was it hitting on your car?
I went the pathfinder dizzy to clean up the engine bay as the coil is in the cap.....did the dizzy at least clear the 200sx intake?

I told you the headers would be worth while :roll: lol
Yes. It cleared the intake. Maybe the issue is the motor mounts. The team thump mounts have the engine sitting up pretty high. No biggy. The VG30 dizzy works and I can live with the coil mounted separately.
Cool, I have a couple of 200sx intakes and was wondering about the pathfinder dizzy clearance with them. I might try running one and see if there is any difference performance wise.
I wish my car looked as nice as yours.
Attachments
engine20 (Large).JPG
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
qwik510
Supporter

Re: David's VG Swap Finally Begins

Post by qwik510 »

Another Update:

I was able to trim the drivers side 200SX exhaust manifold and the steering box a bit and now the manifold fits. :mrgreen: This was great news as I really didn't want to go with headers.

I figured out the heater hoses and made them fit. I replaced the VG33 dipstick with the smaller dipstick from the VG30. It looks better then that big yellow handle sticking out all by itself. I installed the manual clutch and brake pedals too. I removed the stock emergency brake handle and cable. I pulled the entire steering system; steering box, tie rods, idler arm, etc. I need to drain the steering box then clean, prime and paint it. I will be installing all new steer components. Tie rods, idler arm, and center link all with poly boots.

I have started studying the FSM to try and make sense of the wiring. I think I have the route for the harness laid out. I plan to hide it as much as possible.

I also got a big board to keep track of the project and started to break this all down into smaller projects. It is so good to be able to check off completed items. I have a section on there for items that still need to be purchased too.

One problem I have is I need to paint so many small items and it is pretty cold to be doing it now. This will hold me up so I need to come up with a solution. The wife will go crazy if I paint the stuff inside the house. Any suggestions?

That is all I can think of for now. I will try to take some pics and get them posted soon. .
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I'll not go out on a limb here and simply say Dave (B3) will have the V6 at Mitty,,,,,,,,,,,that's right!! The Dude is on a roll and when a roll is hot it's good. The wiring for the VG you and Vince will pump out no problem. On the way to the Mitty Keith is going to simply going to have to keep up 8>) :arrow:

LouB2
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Three B's Racing wrote:I'll not go out on a limb here and simply say Dave (B3) will have the V6 at Mitty,,,,,,,,,,,that's right!! The Dude is on a roll and when a roll is hot it's good. The wiring for the VG you and Vince will pump out no problem. On the way to the Mitty Keith is going to simply going to have to keep up 8>) :arrow:

LouB2
Poor Keith :mrgreen:
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

David,

Not ideal, but I paint stuff outside and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes or so and then bring it indoors. I put it in my guest bedroom, crack the window, turn on the fan and then stick a towel under the door to prevent fumes from coming into the rest of the house.

I had to do that to my gf's mom's hood last weekend and it still got me all buzzed :mrgreen:
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Dave,

Things are looking good! I am hoping to get to the Mitty one way or another...we shall see how the knee replacement shakes out...looks as though you'll make it!

Chip
510 pics.gif
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Happy New Year!

I spent a few hours in the garage today working on the car. I got the clutch master cylinder installed and the B210 brake booster and the 280ZX 15/16" brake master. I will need to pull the brake stuff back out to bench bleed the master and install the steering box and exhaust manifold.

Here are some overdue pics:

Passenger side Heater hose.

Drivers side heater hose.

Clearance between the 200SX exhaust manifold and the steering box. I had to do a little trimming on both.

Close Up.

Clutch Master.

Clutch master cylinder, brake booster and brake master cylinder.

I need to set up a small paint booth so I can clean up and paint a bunch of small parts like the steering box and the manifold and more. I got the garage up to a toasty 65 degrees today so I think that is warm enough to paint. I was working in a short sleeve shirt and it was 35 outside. My propane heater never used to be able to keep the garage warm but we got a new insulated garage door this past spring and it makes all the difference.

Passenger side exhaust manifold. Lots of room on this side.

I need to find a plug for that big threaded hole where the EGR stuff used to go. I was wondering if I could find an adapter that I could use to mount the O2 sensor there. Anyone know if this would be an ok place to mount the O2 sensor?
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
m33pm33p
Supporter

Post by m33pm33p »

What transmission are you running behind the vg33? What kind of 5 spd is it?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

m33pm33p wrote:What transmission are you running behind the vg33? What kind of 5 spd is it?
I have the 5 speed that came in my 1987 200SX VG30 parts car shown earlier in this thread. It bolted right up to the VG33.

I know I am long overdue for an update. I will try to update this soon.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Looks like there's tons of firewall clearance. If you moved the motor back a little, wouldn't that have mostly solved the steering box interference? Just curious
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

qwik510 wrote:I know I am long overdue for an update. I will try to update this soon.
the title too ;)
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

S15DET wrote:Looks like there's tons of firewall clearance. If you moved the motor back a little, wouldn't that have mostly solved the steering box interference? Just curious
The motor mounts were designed to place it in that position and there is barely enough room to get the heater hoses on now.I had thought about slotting the motor mounts a bit but because of the heater hose issue i went with a bit of grinding instead. I fixed the issue so not an issue anymore.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage