Let's talk 280zx performance brake pad options

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Re: Let's talk 280zx performance brake pad options

Post by DADZSUN »

Quick update.

Brake booster and front & rear stainless lines have since been added... WOW! :o

BrakeBooster.jpg
BrakeBooster.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 570 times

Even before the booster was activated (waited for booster check valve) I could tell that the stainless lines and re-bleed had a very positive impact to performance. The pedal was rock hard and the bite was instant. The Porterfield R4-S were finally starting to live up to expectations.

With the booster engaged it just made accessing that new-found performance even easier. The booster adds seemingly an initial bit of mush to the pedal travel but it's very easy to modulate and firm. Frankly I don't need even 50% of the performance which is nice.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabes, STI R180 w/CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - 2021 Datsun Restomods R&D project
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Let's talk 280zx performance brake pad options

Post by datzenmike »

That 50% is reserve for that one time you do need it.

I picked up a set of zx struts recently and the caliper, pads and rotors (though very slightly rusty) were basically new. The old calipers were in the back. Someone replaced them but never got it back on the road. The pads had flakes of brass or copper? in the material. I don't think any of my current pads have this. I assume mine are organic pads?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs