Brake question

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
duke
Supporter

Re: Brake question

Post by duke »

There should be a differential in temperature between the front and rear brakes. Because of the weight transfer under hard braking, the front brakes should be doing the majority of the work, and therefore will get much hotter than the rear brakes. If the braking force was split perfectly 50-50, the rears would be locking up before the fronts under hard braking, something that you don't want at all. When I set up the brake bias on my car, I always shoot for the fronts to lock up just before the rears in a threshold braking event. It makes the car much safer and easier to handle when braking hard.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I concur with Duke, I have mine set up basically the same. You do not want the rear to lock up if you go hard into the corner and try some trail braking at the same time, just not a good scenario.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
vetteguy22

Post by vetteguy22 »

I found one of the brass blocks for the rear brakes that would be mounted on the firewall behind the motor off of another car that I have and opened it up to check it out. Really doesn’t look like a restricted just a junction block so pretty sure there should be no issue there.
Just thought I’d put that out there since it had been mentioned that it might be an issue.
Rob
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Mine is still there and I have no issues with sufficient pressure to the rear.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

bertvorgon wrote: 01 Aug 2018 09:41 You do not want the rear to lock up if you go hard into the corner and try some trail braking at the same time, just not a good scenario.
I remember my first autocross on slicks. The added traction lead to more weight transfer under braking. Trail braking hard through a decreasing radius turn...rears locked up...and around I went!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

YUP...plus, as the front dives, the rear also starts to toe OUT, so that is when I started to run LOTS of rear toe in.

I also had to adjust my bias..at a median of pad temp, as Solo did not really tax the brakes, as does road racing.

On my bias adjuster I have it marked for one setting, then can just go to an indicated full rear for road racing, as that bias did not cause any rear lock up in my setup if brakes were at full operating temp. I think that is a function of the bias adjuster itself and how much pressure it actually allows to the rear, at least with my Direct Connection one.

Keith Law