Coilovers adapter ?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Doraemon
Supporter

Coilovers adapter ?

Post by Doraemon »

I've got some nice S13 coilovers laying around here and start to think about customizing struts to fit those S13 coilovers.
Then I started to think to make kind of adapter that I weld on the cut off strut so it would bold on the coilovers.

Pure by accident I found actually some guy who did this already to fit S13 struts into a 300ZX.
But did some one else tried this on a 510 before ? And did it work out ?

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Coilovers adapter ?

Post by okayfine »

Someone put S-chassis front struts on a 510 to get the spring-preload-doesn't-affect-ride-height adjustment offered by S-chassis coilovers. It might have been at Ratsun, though it was referenced here. I'll try to search, but it's so vague in my memory I may not have success.

Interesting solution by the 300Z guy!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

I've been staring to a lot of McPherson suspensions pictures and can't see why it won't be a success. Only thing I thought that the Datsun shock absorber is in line with the lower knuckle. And when you look at for example 200SX S13 S14 etc.. it isn't in line.
But if it isn't in line.. then it should be no problem I thought.

As you can imagine the " not in line" coilover is kind of swinging around the pivot axle when steering.
Sorry for my bad English if you guys don't get what I mean... :mrgreen:
broke

Post by broke »

Those Z31 adapters are made by a guy called Paul, under the brand "Response Type".

If you talk to Z31 folk in the know they'll most likely steer you away from that setup at all costs..... Plenty of people here in NZ have just had internally threaded sleeves made that weld on to the remains of the strut tube in order to use the cheap and plentiful S13 body-adjustable coilovers with no issues.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked