alternative rear springs

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: alternative rear springs

Post by datzenmike »

If a coil over spring (link in original post) it's not the same as the stock 510 spring. It will be too small diameter. A 450 pound spring on a shock mount is insanely stiff. 300 is too stiff.

If going in the stock spring location, because of a mechanical leverage advantage, a 450 lb/in spring will actually be 118 lb/in at the wheel.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
HP 510

Post by HP 510 »

I guess I wasn't clear, I'm looking for alternative springs to run in the stock location. I know I can buy 3" ID springs and cut them but to get the right combination of rate and ride height might take a lot of springs, shims etc. I thought I might be able to use some of the 2 1/2" springs I have on the shelf but that apparently won't work. Has anyone tried to use 5" OD roundy round springs? They're available in rates up to about 1200 lb/in and heights from 8 to 11 inches with both flat and pigtail ends. What is the OD of the stock spring?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Alternative, how? Stiffer? What spring rate do you want on the back? What do you have in the fronts?

The stock 510 fronts are about 89 lb/in so I assume the rears are close to that. Because of rear control arm geometry, to get 90 lb/in at the wheel, you need a 350 lb/in coil spring. Rear coil spring diameter is about 3.5"

As Julian stated the Dodge D-50 front coils are a nice reasonable increase. Comes down to what do you want.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
HP 510

Post by HP 510 »

It will be an SCCA Production car, race only. Currently 275 fronts but I have other springs from 250-350 in 25 lb. increments, rules require the springs be in the stock location. considering the 3.8 to 1 factor for spring to wheel rate I was expecting to run 950-1100 in the rear. I thought the 3.5 diameter rear spring was the ID. I'll be taking the rear suspension (currently coil over) apart next week to check dimensions. Just thought I could get a head start with a little information.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Right.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You are on the right track for spring rates. We run 300 at the front for Solo and 350# road racing and 1100 to 1200 on the rear.

re-read the "SUSPENSION" thread as it deals with shock control also.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=105

Start on page 8 if you have not already. Obviously track surface conditions will dictate a bit on spring/shock choice

This is a proven combination. I run 300# and 1200# in my car, with a 1 1/8" front solid bar.

Page 16 talks about shocks
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

datzenmike wrote:If a coil over spring (link in original post) it's not the same as the stock 510 spring. It will be too small diameter. A 450 pound spring on a shock mount is insanely stiff. 300 is too stiff.

If going in the stock spring location, because of a mechanical leverage advantage, a 450 lb/in spring will actually be 118 lb/in at the wheel.

The springs are for coil overs on big lifted trucks. They measure 3" and fit in the rear control arm perfectly.