240sx rear disc

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
JohnR

240sx rear disc

Post by JohnR »

All of the information I read is adapting 200sx or maxima rear disc components. Has anyone looked at 1990 240sx stuff it is the same 4 bolt pattern. I have accumulated all of the components to put in the car just have to get or make brackets. Does anyone know of brackets that are available to buy
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 240sx rear disc

Post by okayfine »

240SX calipers have different offset. If you could find two-piece brackets that aren't welded, you could bolt up the pieces and make the necessary adjustments. I've never seen anyone offer 240SX-specific brackets.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

I looked at the 240sx stuff from the 240sx I parted out but, like Julian said, the caliper spacing is pretty goofy. I ended up scrapping the idea in favor of getting my car going with rebuilt drum brakes instead. I'm planning on exploring the z31 300zx rear brake setup instead...Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Well I have all of the 240sx stuff so I will be making my own brackets I guess. I just wanted to have a setup where at least the front is all 280zx and the rear is all of one other car instead of calipers from one rotors from another etc. Fabbing some brackets isn't that hard just looking to see if I could be lazy and buy someone else's!
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I have mounted the caliper and rotor and am now making a bracket to attach the caliper to the control arm. This is a very feasible install as the rotor fits the rear hub perfectly and the caliper will work only at the top of the rotor. I plan on using the 240sx park brake cables and handle also.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hard to get the cables to the caliper at the top. I rotated my setup to the bottom and swapped the left for right to get the cable run happy.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

JohnR wrote:I have mounted the caliper and rotor and am now making a bracket to attach the caliper to the control arm. This is a very feasible install as the rotor fits the rear hub perfectly and the caliper will work only at the top of the rotor. I plan on using the 240sx park brake cables and handle also.
Sounds good. Are you welding a bracket onto the control arm or making a bolt on bracket that bolts onto where the backing plate used to be. Similar to this below..
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I am making a bracket similar to the one abovethat will bolt on where the backing plate was previously.
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

I'm running 240sx (S13) rear disc brakes.
I'm using the calipers and rotors.

The offset of this set-up is pretty extreme if you use all s13 stuff.
The combination of rotor offset and caliper bracket make for an interesting caliper bracket position.
This is great for wheel face clearance, but make design of a "bolt on" bracket difficult.
I ended up just welding the adapter bracket to my control arm, as I don't plan to ever run different calipers or rotors back there.
I have the template for these adapter brackets and access to s13 brake parts if anyone feels confident in their welding abilities.
I can also do the work for you, if you're in the NorCal/Sacramento area..

Check it out:

See what I mean about the offset?..

Sorry about the blurry pics, I was using my phone.
When you truly love your project, you won't cut corners!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There's also the possibility that one of the other Nissan rear brake brackets will combo to give a better offset. The 280ZX stuff has the same post width, so you could mate the ZX bracket with the SX body. But, from a sourcing POV, that's a pain.

Denis, what are you doing for a parking brake? I had to flip my rear calipers side-for-side and mount them at 6 o'clock to get the stock 510 parking brake cables to route properly.
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

okayfine wrote:
Denis, what are you doing for a parking brake? I had to flip my rear calipers side-for-side and mount them at 6 o'clock to get the stock 510 parking brake cables to route properly.

My 510 parking brake cables were frozen, and I'm not a fan of pull-out type handles.
I'm going to use s13 cables and e-brake handle. I just haven't gotten around to installing that stuff yet..
My brackets are clocked the way they are to make use of the OE s13 cables.
I'll post pics when I get the cables and lever installed.
When you truly love your project, you won't cut corners!
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

If you make a plate to bolt to the control arm and another to bolt to the caliper mounting bracket the space between the two should end up about 13/16 to 7/8. I would like to be more specific, but without being able to fit more than one car I am unsure as to what an exact measurement would be.