Re-arched Wagon Leaf Springs

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Rudydog
Supporter

Re-arched Wagon Leaf Springs

Post by Rudydog » 23 May 2011 07:11

I wanted to lower my wagon and decided that the best way for me was to have the rear leaf springs re-arched. I also had another full length leaf added to the spring pack to stiffen up the rear some.

This is the wagon before the springs were installed.

This is the wagon after the springs were installed. The front rocker is 7.5" from the ground and the rear rocker is 8.5 inches from the ground. The overall drop was 2" from before.

This is an after shot of the wheel well.

The photo's above are a comparison of a stock wagon spring with the re arched springs. It's hard to read the ruler, but the total drop was 3.5" from before and after. When I was talking with the spring company, I told them that I wanted a 2" drop and and to add an additional leaf and they they recommended a 3 to 3.5" drop in the spring since the extra leaf would not allow the spring to compress as much as the standard leaf.

I really like the way it drives now with the rear lower and stiffer. It is not too stiff, but at the same time the rear seems to hand the VG30 much better. In the past the differential would bang the bottom of the drive tunnel on a hard shift from 1st to 2nd, and it seem to have gone away with the new springs.

All in all I'm pleased with the results.

eemai

Re: Re-arched Wagon Leaf Springs

Post by eemai » 20 Jul 2011 09:58

very cool. i wanted to do this but the spring shop here turned me down initially, their excuse was they dont work on metric cars which is stupid because all cars are metric now. anyways, what type of shop did you have this done at? Thanks for posting

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 20 Jul 2011 16:54

I agree totally on the added leaf. Any car that is lowered is obviously going to be closer to the pavement. If the spring rate stays the same it will travel the same distance on the same bump at the same speed, a recipe for disaster. To lower my 710 goon I used a 2" block and because I had a second set of leaf springs, I removed the second spring up from the bottom and trimmed a couple of inches off each end and added it to the spring pack.

Now some may find the ride to 'firm' but I'm used to a 620 with F-150 truck springs on it and this is much softer. The stock height and ride is a compromise for the average owner back on the 70s. It definitely benefits from lower and firmer. The drop block is 2" but the extra spring may have cut a half inch off that. For now I'm good with the way it is
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

Buzzsawlouie

Post by Buzzsawlouie » 22 Sep 2011 08:31

Nice write up! Could I ask how much the shop charged for re-arching?
I went a different route in lowering my wagon. I wanted ~1.5" of drop & increased stiffness. I got ahold of an additional wagon leaf & installed it into the pack flipped upside down. This had the effect of flattening the pack as well as increasing spring rate. There is a great write up in the Dime Quartery Vol 9.1 (http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles.shtml#dq9.1) on how this is done & frankly I am quite happy with the results.
The whole thing set me back about $40 for the springs...
No argument that re-aching is the correct way to proceed, but for an alternative that's a bit less spendy & doesn't reduce clearance (like the lowering blocks) This works great!
Kelly
aka Buzzsawlouie
'70 510 2-dr KA24DE in process... Ex '71 510 Wagon Owner

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat » 22 Sep 2011 15:31

Looks real nice.

Did you do a thread on your VG30 install? Which differential are you running?