S12 V6 Struts & Z32 Brakes all the way around

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
dscottdatsun
Supporter

S12 V6 Struts & Z32 Brakes all the way around

Post by dscottdatsun »

I have searched & read a lot of different posts on this sight and have to thank everyone for the hard earned knowledge.

Now that I have you all buttered up... its time to ask more questions.

I have recently acquired S12 V6 struts, '90 z32 brakes (front & full rear), and will be getting '87 z31 turbo hubs ASAP to do a 5 lug conversion. Along with it, I would also like to install the z32 internal rotor parking brake. I have a good idea what is to be done, but want to make sure.

1. I have seen pictures of the parking brake swap, but is there a detailed write up on it. There has been mention of one in the gallery, but isn't that gone now.

2. What to do about attaching the steering arm to the bottom of the strut?

Scott
S15DET
Supporter

Re: S12 V6 Struts & Z32 Brakes all the way around

Post by S15DET »

I guess you're thinking about me? I have a small gallery here of the Z32 rear brakes...

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm25 ... ?start=all

There's a lot to it, and it's totally custom. The hard part is geting the drum backing plate in the RIGHT spot, and there's several axis to be concerned with. You need to have the wheels you plan to use, preferably with tires mounted first, so you can determine where the caliper has to go, which will determine the rotor position, which will determine the position of the drum shoes, which will then tell you where to put the backing plate. You have to think and measure out-to-in, but fabricate in-to-out. I hope that make sense.
Last edited by S15DET on 05 Nov 2012 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Another tip is that you'll want to make a set of mock bearings. You'll need to be able to "install" the rear hub over and over to measure. This isn't practical with the stock bearing in place, too much banging. I turned a set of hard plastic bearings with a tight slip fit so that I could quickly place the hub in position, and easily remove it.

Also, be sure to get everything from the Z32, backing plates, all of the drum hardware (springs and clips), parking brake cables, etc. It'll get modified or replaced, but it's important to have it all so you can see how it all goes together.
dscottdatsun
Supporter

Post by dscottdatsun »

S15DET - Thank you, I will use that. I'll have to go back and read your build some more. The yard gave me the whole unit so I have it all.
dscottdatsun
Supporter

Post by dscottdatsun »

This is becoming a real pain in the a@#! People tell you they have something for sale - then decide to fix it because it was all of a sudden real easy????! :evil:

I need to know do the rear axle hubs have to come from an 87 -89 to fit the Z32 brakes? the 84 - 86 are so much easier to find. Go figure :roll:

Would anyone have a line on a pair of 87 - 89 Z31turbo hubs, they would be willing to let go?

Thanks
Scott
codyisbad

Post by codyisbad »

I'm pretty sure the ZX rear hubs don't fit in the 510 arms. I had my re-drilled by a machine shop for $100. Much less of a headache then trying to get turbo hubs. I ditched the internal parking brake idea a while back, I'm looking into a parking brake caliper. I know brembo and wilwood both make them, its what Ferraris and Lambos use for their parking brake, but the rotors are too thick for those to fit the Z32 rear rotors.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I also am using the stock 510 rear hubs, just re-drilled for 5X144.3 pattern.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Here is another way you can do the internal drum brake. Note this stuff isn't z32, but the principle is the same.

These pics are from a gentleman on ozdat username nissanman

Custom backing plate
Front view
Side view

The thing that I like about this conversion is that it doesn't involve welding to the A arm. Welding to the A arm requires jigs and measurements, this makes for an easy bolt on solution.

Only part that I guess could be a potential issue is the caliper flexing on that mount.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, and z31 turbo hubs require a smaller wheel bearing if you want to use them in a 510 arm, pain in the ass. If the 510 hub has enough meat to allow for 5x114.3 redrill then use those all the way.
dscottdatsun
Supporter

Post by dscottdatsun »

What did you mean by the smaller bearings are a pain in the ass?
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Pain in the ass was probably exaggerating. But you'll need to go to a bearing shop to match the specs, then replace the bearing which is an effort.

Redrilling the stud pattern sounds alot easier.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

If you are going through all the trouble to install the internal disk brakes, you might as well replace everything, including the bearings, they are not that hard to replace, really easy if you have access to a press. It is easy to drill the rear 510 hubs for 5 lug, I have and so have a bunch of other members here, there is plenty of "meat" on them for that, I drilled mine about two years ago maybe??? and they are holding strong, I always look at them when I have the wheel off to see if there is any visible cracking in the hub, they are really close to the egde on one or two studs, but still no problem.
benz-tech
Supporter

Post by benz-tech »

I second (or third) the drilling the hubs out. Mine are still going strong.
benz-tech
Supporter

Post by benz-tech »

Oh and you will need the Z31 turbo front brake rotor for the fronts. The z32 NA rotor has the wrong offset IIRC.
dscottdatsun
Supporter

Post by dscottdatsun »

I got the turbo hubs for the front, the front is complete. I'm still working on the rear. Trying to get the spacing right for the backing plate.