Duke's'72 Carbed KA project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I ended up pretty much copying the design detailed in the "how to modify" book. I made an aluminum filler piece that was rivited to the inner fender well and butted against the inside of the quarter panel. I sealed it to the quarter panel using flexable seam sealer. I drove the car sans roll bar for a few months and I didn't notice any excessive flex. However, before I even did this mod, the previous owner, in an attempt to make more tire clearance, cut off the fender lip, therefore eliminating the spot welds...so maybe I just don't know any difference.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

I see, all along I thought that was the stock fender lip, but it is just the quarter panel rolled out? Well it sounds like you have done will be ok as you have been driving around without problems. I guess I am always thinking, the stiffer the chassis the better.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I agree, the stiffer the better...but if you look at some of the 510's running around, and the amount of rust on them...uhh, well yeah, I don't think this will make that big of a difference.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Well, spent some time making it not so ugly...looks good in a crappy picture, or going 20 mph, or from the turn 6 stands...whatever, its rustoleum aka tremclad.
Last edited by duke on 05 May 2008 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
sdterrible1

Post by sdterrible1 »

Looks killer!!
Drive a Datsun
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

it's funny how your car was November in the calendar, and now that November is over, your car looks different.

was it a spray or roll-on job?
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dude I love it! It needs to be a little lowe :) haha I love the no front bumper look to. I want to see it from the side.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510's always had a "bussiness only" appeal without a front bumper...
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Yeah, I've always liked the no bumper look. I will post some more pictures when I'm home again. I'm in Portland for the weekend for a friends wedding...its weird when people your age start getting married.

I was going to roll the paint on, but my friend who is a body guy convinced me to spray it on. It was super cold (at least for where I am) so it took forever to dry. I think once I get it wet sanded and buffed a little it will be good.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

So I made a little road trip this weekend. Snow has finally fallen in Tahoe so it was time to get in the first days of "slashing the white wave". The dime is running awesome, starts fine without a choke in 15 degree mornings. One problem I have found is that a 2000lb car with falken azenis (not the best snow tires..haha) doesn't do to well in snow. Most of the roads are dry but I did almost get stuck in my gf's driveway. Here are some pics of the new paint and proof that it actually made it to the snow. Enjoy.

Smothed rear roll pan.

Rear flares (all metal).

Front flares.

New door panels.

Sorry about the low light photo's, I am trying to hide how bad the paint job looks in the daylight. It defineatly no show car finish, but I'm happy with it.
Last edited by duke on 05 May 2008 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Snow Bunny! Wait...it snows in Santa Rosa?
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

duke wrote:So I made a little road trip this weekend. Snow has finally fallen in Tahoe ...
1972 Yellow 4dr
510rob

Post by 510rob »

car looks cool - I like the inner door panels too
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

510-Trevor wrote:
duke wrote:So I made a little road trip this weekend. Snow has finally fallen in Tahoe ...
I get a "0" in reading comprehension.
pimp1911

Post by pimp1911 »

Looking good.
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
1972 Datsun 240Z
2003 Nissan 350Z