Phils 510

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
philcas1987

Re: Phils 510

Post by philcas1987 »

travm182 wrote:I absolutely love this car, i hope when mine is done it looks half as good as this!
If you try it should
68Datsun510 wrote:Holy shit, phil, i thought you'd abandoned the project! I didnt know youd moved here. Looks amazing!
If I would have abandoned the car it would have been in June. It's purely 510 here. No parts donors
MicroMachinery wrote:Wow man. Wow.
I know I grin every time
vdubjim wrote:Get that Intercooler mounted?
You said TSR in an earlier post?

Im more interested as to what intercooler is on page 1 and how its mounted.
It's an eBay one that needed cast 90's welded on. Mounted the bottom with little 90 degree brackets. This car is cut out for a tsr inter cooler but for all I know he changed his design. I'm probably will have something made up here.
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

My God, Phil it's f*****g beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad that spare valance was put to good use, it was gathering dust sitting here at my place. I now have photo proof that something of mine was actually made into somethin' purdy!!!

I could almost cry right now, that car is built just the way a 510 should be built. Props to you man, great work.
Do I want to know how much the total cost of build is up to roughly?!

I desperately want a sand blaster and a bunch of paint stripper now. Paint first then the KA can get done... Every time I think about the paint job on mine I think of all the work it was to get the KA installed and how much of a PITA it is going to be ripping it out and doing it all over again...

Motivation's back, next time you're in Southern Oregon hit me up. Beer thirty upon your arrival!
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

I'm exhausted just looking at the pics....nice work! Love the motivation you have. It's gonna be beautiful when done. :D
Biggspeed
Supporter

Post by Biggspeed »

Any Updates Phil?
philcas1987

Post by philcas1987 »

thanks for the kind words guys. this project has been mothballed. from this point on it a money pit. im just trying to survive . i forget i own it at times. big plans for next year. i need to polish and give it a good coat of wax. anny suggestions? good news is it is protected from the elements.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Personally, I still use good old Simonize carnuba wax.."Wax On..Wax Off!"

I tried some of the so called synthetics, the liquid stuff. It just does not seem to last like real wax.

If your paint has no "fuzzies" on it from oxidation, just wax it. I go to a fabric store, and get some flannel cloth. I cut it into 1 foot squares. I use the pad supplied to apply the wax, let it dry to a haze, but not so dry that it turns to powder. I use 1 cloth to remove 90 % of the haze, then, use a new cloth to polish out. Switch out cloths as soon as they start to load with dried wax. My polish cloth becomes my first cloth, a new one then becomes my final polish.

The next day, I go back and use a clean cloth to go over the car, and get and wax that has dried to white on any cracks and groves that I missed.

If you had to machine polish first, I use the 3m brand for dark colours. I'm sure Tyson would pipe in on this, but that is what I have used on all my cars to remove oxidation, swirls, etc.

Nice build!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

welcome to turbo club :twisted:
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
RedBanner

Post by RedBanner »

Woot, i got to catch up alittle, looking forward to see the next fist full of money thrown at it lol
philcas1987

Post by philcas1987 »

here is a small update. mostly stuff I have scored over the course of a year.... man these projects are a pain. getting pulled in all directions . engine interior drivetrain. every thing is modify this modify that. hahaha r190 444 gears clsd. I don't know about the gear set might be too much for my set up. maybe you guys can chime in on what other Nissan rear end I can take gears out of that will work with an r190. I was talking with matt about making me one of his cool covers but I dropped off the map

philcas1987

Post by philcas1987 »

in that last post i posted a picture of a 67/68 b pillar domelight. i searched years for it. just so happens rod had one. i also picked up a wiring specialties pro harness. its sweet. all new wires. no old brittle connectors. what i dont like is the generic pico fuse box and relays. also the connectors have these silicone seals that dont fit 100% in the hole. its just not right. probably has to do with the gauge of the wire going through it. picture a woman popping out of her heels hahahahahaha i might rewire my own fuse box to run smaller fuses and relays.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I'm still here whenever you want to proceed with a cover for the 190. Wonder how different it is from the 180?

You had just missed me and the wife when you bought those trim parts at Canby too.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

philcas1987 wrote:what i dont like is the generic pico fuse box and relays.
Have you looked at the CAN AM box as a replacement?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
philcas1987

Post by philcas1987 »

okayfine wrote:
You have a sense of humor
philcas1987

Post by philcas1987 »

Photo dump really. Took the sr apart for vavalvetrain upgrades and to reseal the whole thing. Was dissapointed to find out its a sludged up Sr. Over 1/4 inch close to half an inch of sludge in the pan. Was thinking of painting the block Nissan blue
:cry: :cry: :evil:

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

philcas1987 wrote:
okayfine wrote:
You have a sense of humor

Hey now.... The CAN/AM guys read this shit! :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam