Transmission Identification

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Transmission Identification

Post by datzenmike »

FS4W71B 4 speed for L series motor, for sure.

The last L 4 speed was used on the '80 720 truck although it was used on the Z series motors till mid year '82. It was revived and revised for two years as a D-21 truck option as the F4W71C type near the end of the '80s. The last F4W71B used in the 810/Maxima, 280zx and 620 truck was in '79.
Last edited by datzenmike on 09 Aug 2010 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
69dime

Post by 69dime »

If that's truly what it is, is there any practical upgrade use for it in a 510? Any idea why someone would put it in a 510?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

69dime wrote:If that's truly what it is, is there any practical upgrade use for it in a 510? Any idea why someone would put it in a 510?
Oh it's true. The F4W71B is a much stronger transmission and was used on the 280z and 620 truck. One very positive thing about this is that the F4W71B and any L series FS5W71B are the same length. This means that if the drive shaft has been shortened and the rear mount modified there will be almost no trouble slipping a 5 speed in, in it's place. The FS5W71B comes in a bewildering variety of gears and over drive ratios.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
69dime

Post by 69dime »

I pulled this from a junker without being able to identify it, and had to leave the crossmember. What I'm wondering is, if there is any good reason to put it in a 510? If it's only a 4-speed (which I should have verified already), all I can see is that maybe it will hold up to a stronger motor. Seeing as how I'd much rather have a 5-speed, maybe this one is worth returning to the junkyard for "store credit", no?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If you want a 5 speed return it and be sure to get the shortened drive shaft and rear mount as you will need it if to do find one.

Before we go further I should mention that there is another Nissan 5 spd. that will fit the 510 without shortening the drive shaft. It is stronger than the stock 4 speed and has the same ratios, but not stronger than the FS5W71B. It is also less common. It (FS5W63A) can be found in the '77-'79 200sx and as an optional transmission in the '79-'80 A10 (later 510)

Otherwise the FS5W71B can be found as an option in the '77-'79 620, 80 720, '77-'79 280z and standard equipment on '80-'83 280zx (non turbo) '80-'84 Maxima gas and diesel.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Found a reference to a R4W71B in a service manual. R means remote shifter as in column shift, just as F4W71B means floor shift.. The same manual has an R3W71B or 3 speed 71B and get this..... an RS4W71B This is a column shift 71B three speed with a 4th gear overdrive. How cool is that? These never came here to N Am but must have been used in foreign or JDM trucks.

The Z car was the first here to get an F4W71B at the start of the '72 model year. Next was the 620 truck as the engine size increased from the L16 to L18 in '74. Later the 6 cylinder 810. All three needed a strong transmission. I always thought the F4W7B was developed for the Z car but apparently not. It was around and used in something else, likely a truck. The service manual was printed in '71.

Some of the pictures show the column shift attachment points on the 71B... and this explains some of the strange casting bumps and circles on them.

Enjoy....

KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Thought I'd wake this thread up. I think mine is a ZX box. Obviously never driven with it but can shift through 5 gears and find reverse.

Sorry for the poor pictures:

Does say ZX in paint pen:

L5NMCA?

Anyone confirm? Thanks :)
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
broke

Post by broke »

I'm pretty sure that is a R30 Skyline box you have there. The ZX box would be a long tail.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

broke wrote:I'm pretty sure that is a R30 Skyline box you have there. The ZX box would be a long tail.
Thank you, I just did a Google image search and it looks just like the R30 one. Nice work 8)

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Mike, do you have a model number on my 3 speed remote shift P510 transmission in your archives?

Be good to know the model. It's rare, I only know of one other remaining here in NA, and all I know it that it lest went to Oregon from Vancouver.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

This is an '80 or later 5 speed with the reverse check sleeve. R30 Skyline? anything's possible I guess, but much easier to believe that it's from a 720 truck with an L series front case swapped onto it. The vent pipe on the adapter plate rather than the plastic vent is used on the 720 shorty 5 speed. Measure it and you'll find it's 26" long and the speedometer drive is on the left side. Reverse and neutral gear switch would support an Oct '83-'86 Z20/Z24 gas engine transmission.

If curious place in first and mark the input and output splines. Turn the input 20 times while counting the output.

5.5 turns is a wide ratio gear set used after '82 only on the Diesel truck. Possible, with an L front case swap
6.0 turns is a mid ratio gear set. This would be the most likely
6.5 turns is a close ratio, only found on the 280zx after '79 and never in a shorty version..

Byron the 3 speed should be an R3W65L. Try 32010-21450 for the complete assy for 4.375 differential. Shift levers are on the right side??? I can't find it used on any other N Am vehicle. It may be used else where with a J or A series engine bolt pattern. Looks 'somewhat' like the 510 4 speed with the waffle casting two part case and removable bottom pan. I have the column shift mechanism numbers down to the shift levers on the transmission side.
Last edited by datzenmike on 21 Aug 2016 10:26, edited 2 times in total.
broke

Post by broke »

datzenike wrote:
This is an '80 or later 5 speed with the reverse check sleeve. R30 Skyline? anything's possible I guess, but much easier to believe that it's from a 720 truck with an L series front case swapped onto it. The vent pipe on the adapter plate rather than the plastic vent is used on the 720 shorty 5 speed. Measure it and you'll find it's 26" long and the speedometer drive is on the left side. Reverse and neutral gear switch would support an Oct '83-'86 Z20/Z24 gas engine transmission.
Good info for the American market, but I'm pretty sure Kikichiban would have pulled this out of his Bluebird race car, and R30 boxes are pretty common here so I'm presuming they were common in Japan back when his car was being flogged around racetracks.

I've got a couple myself and they all have the steel vent pipe too. They're usually found behind L6's or LD28's, one of mine is a wide ratio LD28 stumpy box. Bear in mind that when I say "R30" I suppose it could have come out of any of Nissan's similar models from that era (C31 Laurel etc).

As an aside, I have seen a dead stock unmolested 1978 Gloria hardtop (factory manual) with the reverse and neutral switches fitted. I'm assuming they were used to get around not having an auto with inhibitor switch.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Fikichiban's profile says London which is pretty far from Japan, plus he said he thought it was a zx box... he doesn't know what's in his car?? The only information provided in the post were pictures, so assumptions were made. More information about the car history would have helped, maybe.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

datzenmike wrote:Fikichiban's profile says London which is pretty far from Japan, plus he said he thought it was a zx box... he doesn't know what's in his car?? The only information provided in the post were pictures, so assumptions were made. More information about the car history would have helped, maybe.
Yes I'm in London. My car is a Japanese import. Built up as a race car in the 70's and raced until the early 2000 where it's been modified and changed. I don't know what's in it as it was purchased unseen, shipped over to the UK (when I was living in France) and then stored for a year. There isn't a bluebird Coupe in the UK to cross-reference to see what's stock. Sorry for the confusion.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

It's all good. I've learned something. The 71B is a six cylinder transmission that was borrowed for use in the Datsun and Nissan trucks for its strength. I always wondered why there was a shorty version used in the later 720. There was no reason to shorten them. Apparently they are from the Skyline and the years add up for this. I have one from a 4x4 720 and the speedometer pinion hole (also on the left)is not machined out. The 4x4 speedometer is driven from the transfer case.