How do I remove the dash?

jeffball610

How do I remove the dash?

Post by jeffball610 »

I have a Haynes manual, but it has nothing on removing the dash. I removed the dash cap, instrument cluster etc., but I can't seem to figure out how to get the metal shell out. I know there were 2 bolts on the outer edge, but I can't see anything else. Am I stupid, or all the bolts/screws hidden? I'd like to get the whole thing out to clean, put down some sound deadening, do wiring etc. Is there a short writeup somewhere or a factory type manual with schematic? Or is this so simple I shouldn't bother to ask here?
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
BAMFGOAT

Re: How do I remove the dash?

Post by BAMFGOAT »

Hey Jeff - I know I'm a bit late, but thought I would ask anyways.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Hope it didn't take 7yrs to get the upper bolts near the windshield loose.....geez
510rob

Post by 510rob »

tee hee hee
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

BAMFGOAT wrote:Hey Jeff - I know I'm a bit late, but thought I would ask anyways.
Is this a question, or an offer of help? Either way, it's on the slim side...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
BAMFGOAT

Post by BAMFGOAT »

okayfine wrote:
BAMFGOAT wrote:Hey Jeff - I know I'm a bit late, but thought I would ask anyways.
Is this a question, or an offer of help? Either way, it's on the slim side...
Hahaha, I definitely should have been more clear, but wasn't sure if the topic would be picked up by anyone else. I was asking Jeff to get some clarity for my own dash removal. I'd like to replace a few gauges and my light switch soon.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What year dash?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
BAMFGOAT

Post by BAMFGOAT »

It's a 1972 4dr.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The late dash comes apart relatively easily. You can remove the pad with the dash in the car. The instrument panel comes out as it's own piece, so you don't have to take the whole dash out of the car to get at the instruments. Light switch doesn't need the dash out at all, it comes out the backside.
BAMFGOAT

Post by BAMFGOAT »

Awesome. Thank you, that's really helpful to know. I just started having an a/f issue, so I guess I'll have to tackle that first.