should you re-thread a head

510mango

should you re-thread a head

Post by 510mango »

The P.O of the car stripped the threads on the cylinder heads last piston on the intake. My question is should a pro fix this, can I fix this without taking the head off just the intake and header is it difficult (wheres a good place to buy metric size tap sets), or should I look for a new head. This is something that I should have done like a year ago but never got around to it but I figure I should ask before I try to break/fix something.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: should you re-thread a head

Post by okayfine »

510mango wrote:The P.O of the car stripped the threads on the cylinder heads last piston on the intake.
This is unclear to me.

If the threads are gone, there's nothing for you to tap with the OE thread size. Helacoil (or the like, there are some brands people like better) is the next step.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Yep sounds like helicoil is the next step. If you are not experienced with helicoil and aren't removing the head it may be a challenge. You want to drill and tap it as straight as possible. Maybe better left to a professional, but I'd do it myself...wait I am a proffessional :mrgreen: , but if I wasn't I'd do it myself anyway.
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Drill out and go to the next oversize stud.

The last piston on the intake would be the lower... stud ... right? It clamps the intake and the exhaust manifold.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs