Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

slodat

Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

Post by slodat »

Matt here on the 510 realm offers CNC machined adapters to allow converting a 510 from the stock universal joint axles to CV joint axles. The adapters are designed to work with Type II VW CV shafts.

Parts needed:
  • Matt's adapters.
  • (2) 1980-1990 Vanagan axles. 21.25-22.43 inches long. Must be this length for resize. I used EMPI p/n 90-6805. I got them at Discount Import Parts in Portland for $150. ***NOTE*** you can use the ebay axles mentioned in the project thread. This is the way I did it.
  • (24) M8x1.25 x 60mm socket head bolts.
  • 14mm thin wall socket. I found an SK at Baxter's that fit.
  • Snap ring pliers.
The axles need to be shortened and resplined. Dutchman Motorsports in Portland did mine for $120.

The service order for the shortening and re-spline:

Once you have your shortened axles back, it is time to assemble the half shafts.

Parts laid out on the table:

Slide the boots on the axle. They are different. Small boot inside diameter on smaller end of shaft.

Slide the CV joints on to the axle shaft.

Install the washer.

And the locking ring. This is where those pliers are necessary.

Make sure the locking ring is in the groove in the axle shaft.

Grease each CV joint, packing the grease into both sides of the joint. Use the whole pouch of grease for each joint. Push the remaining grease into the boots.

At this point, the axles are together.

Remove the stock half shafts aka "dog bones".

Install all four adapters on their corresponding flanges on the diff stub axles and axle shafts. The adapters are the same. Use the stock hard ware and install in the same way the half shafts were once installed. I found it much easier to install the inner (diff side) flanges with the stub shafts out of the diff. They are easy to remove with a 14mm socket. Be careful to keep that bolt clean. When reinstalling the stub shaft, don't over tighten the bolt. You can strip out the threads in the carrier if you over tighten.

Bolt the CV axles into place using the cap head screws mentioned above. I used some never-seize on the threads because there is a steel bolt going into an aluminum flange.

Tighten, check everything for clearances and enjoy.

After an initial test drive, I checked bolts to make sure nothing was loose.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
merlin
Supporter

Re: Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

Post by merlin »

Nice Esplination Ricki.. I wanna do this now on my lowered car with the R180.. I guess you could just have the shafts shortened to fit the R180 distance, killing 2 birds with one stone... Matt will pipe in I'm sure, but I'm wondering if the adapters(or another type adapter) could be made to fit up to the Truck style R180 stub axles, thus eliminating the need to remachine those...
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

merlin - you could swap them for the 4 bolt flanges.
I'm your huckleberry.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Excellent write Steve!!

Should be stickied in the projects section(because there is like 10 already in the technical section and 2 in the project section)
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

I'm wanting to do this but want to get the budget right:

$200 for adapters
~$150 for axels
~$120 for machine work
~$50 for bolts (more/less?)

? $ for shipping stuff

About $500, right?
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

I am trying to build a set of these axles. I have bought a set of used Vanagon half-shafts. I took the axles out and have sent them to a machinist buddy. I sent him the drawing that I took off the forum, "Shop Copy". He wanted to know why no snap ring on one side? He also wanted to know if the axles (1.069") could be used for the "hard stop" of the CV's. I understand these CV axles mount with the snap ring on the outside (wheel) and the open spline on the diff side. Do I have this information correct? Is this OK? What about the torque on the adapter bolts?
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

So the drawing was made by Dutchman for Dutchman. If you take it to them they understand it. I see how it would be misleading to another machinist. There is actually a snap ring groove on both ends. I think I used the axle as the inside hard stop on the shortened side of my EMPI axles and it worked out perfect. If I remember correctly Matthew tested the bolts and torqued them to either 30 or 40 ft. lbs. I am pretty sure it was 30.
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

Thank you for the information. I will use blue loctite and torque the bolts to 30#. I will not be using the 510 for competition so I will not worry about these axles. They should be strong enough for my application.
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

vintageracer wrote:Thank you for the information. I will use blue loctite and torque the bolts to 30#. I will not be using the 510 for competition so I will not worry about these axles. They should be strong enough for my application.
FWIW: I run a dedicated race car. I bought the Wolf Creek Racing kit. It was more expensive but after talking to folks, the Wolf kit has some features and metals that give me more confident. I think this setup is fine for a street car but I wanted a little more piece of mind especially with something rotating that heavy and fast.

This isn't a bash on this kit, sound good for the right application. Not mine.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Eric P wrote:the Wolf kit has some features and metals that give me more confident. I think this setup is fine for a street car but I wanted a little more piece of mind especially with something rotating that heavy and fast.
What are these features and metals that make you more confident?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

okayfine wrote:
Eric P wrote:the Wolf kit has some features and metals that give me more confident. I think this setup is fine for a street car but I wanted a little more piece of mind especially with something rotating that heavy and fast.
What are these features and metals that make you more confident?
I think it's the 930 (porsche) CV's and the good quality axles...
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

defdes wrote:I think it's the 930 (porsche) CV's and the good quality axles...
If Eric's got an actual, sanctioned race car, he's running some variant of the L-series - I think it's safe to say a good Type II CV will withstand anything a high-strung L-series will put out. If the car is low enough to need the additional angularity of the 930 pieces, that's a point in favor of the 930 CVs.

Axle quality is as good as you can spend; you can find a few different axle materials.

Just wondering.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
watts510

Post by watts510 »

I dont belive the wolfcreek setup uses 930 cv's. I think they use 911 turbo. I was over at TSR and he had some 930 cv's and they were alot beefier than I expected.
Procrastinate now why wait for later ? :)
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

I just received my set of 'chinese' CV's for the axles. They look good. Who knows if they are any weaker or stronger than the German ones. I have a question about the boots that came with them. They have a 'sleeve' that fits tight against the axles and then a larger end piece on the boot. No clamp! Will this tight sleeve keep the grease from leaking out of the boot? I have the German boots and they use a clamp. What goes here?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Depends on the amount of interference fit between the parts. It's not like there's positive pressure inside the boot during operation (except for the small amount that might be created by any heat generated, but I can't see that being significant) to push out grease. I've heard people have had no issues with running zip ties to secure the boots around the axles themselves, so...