Window Squeegee's

bueiz
Supporter

Window Squeegee's

Post by bueiz »

Those of you who have replaced your window squeegee's.....how to you reattach the rubber to the chrome trim? From what I see with mine, it came stapled to the from trim from the factory.

Anyone come up with any good ideas?
DryHeat
Supporter

Re: Window Squeegee's

Post by DryHeat »

The new squeeges should come with clips to attach them to the chrome. All you need to do is carefully remove the old staples, the flat metal bar and old squeeges ... then line up the new one and put the clips on. It's very easy to do but sometimes the clips can be a real pain.
Jim Graham
71 Plum Crazy Wagon
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

DryHeat wrote:The new squeeges should come with clips to attach them to the chrome. All you need to do is carefully remove the old staples, the flat metal bar and old squeeges ... then line up the new one and put the clips on. It's very easy to do but sometimes the clips can be a real pain.
I don't think the squeegees I bought came with any clips; I'd have to check to be sure.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I just bought a cool set of refills from our CDN tire store, and with a little bit of filing, I got them to fit perfectly into my stock 1973 wipre arms. I just squeezed the clips together a tad more, with some needle nose plyers. I can take a picture if you like.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

bertvorgon wrote:I just bought a cool set of refills from our CDN tire store, and with a little bit of filing, I got them to fit perfectly into my stock 1973 wipre arms. I just squeezed the clips together a tad more, with some needle nose plyers. I can take a picture if you like.
:wink:
They are on the outer door belt molding topics :mrgreen:
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

^^^^^^^I think I did mine in a similar way, it's been about 8 years.... and I am a little fuzzy.
DryHeat
Supporter

Post by DryHeat »

I got mine from Mike at DatsunLandSocal and he included the clips.
Jim Graham
71 Plum Crazy Wagon
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

510Freak wrote:
bertvorgon wrote:I just bought a cool set of refills...
:wink:
They are on the outer door belt molding topics :mrgreen:
:lol:
if you didnt get the clips from DLsocal, call him and get them!
for a cheap fix i used wiper blades and black RTV to attach to the chrome strip. hasnt fallen apart yet.

does this mean your ready to take it on the road? :mrgreen:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

So, I'm back on this!! Anyone have a picture of a retainer clip Mike at DatsunLandSocal uses? It's hard to make out from his website.

And does anyone have experience with using them these clips versus using staples again? Any issues.

Yes, it's really been this long since I've done any major work to the 510. :) I had to many projects, just got rid of one and now I'm back on top of this thing. Need to keep the momentum going.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Welcome back man, jeez it's been ages. I thought we'd lost you for good. Glad to have you back on board.

Good luck with the project - again!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

I did mine just a few weeks ago. I bought the Datsport outer squeegies which have a metal strip integral to the squeegie itself. I used contact cement to seal the squeegie to the trim and very small pop rivets to hold it in place. I used 7 each side I believe.
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

bueiz wrote:So, I'm back on this!! Anyone have a picture of a retainer clip Mike at DatsunLandSocal uses? It's hard to make out from his website.

And does anyone have experience with using them these clips versus using staples again? Any issues.

Yes, it's really been this long since I've done any major work to the 510. :) I had to many projects, just got rid of one and now I'm back on top of this thing. Need to keep the momentum going.
Ya, those clips will rust so spray some protection on them. Mine rusted away so I used weather stripping adhesive and glued them in place. That was 4 years ago and their still on there with no signs of coming loose.

Lou
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

Byron510 wrote:Welcome back man, jeez it's been ages. I thought we'd lost you for good. Glad to have you back on board.

Good luck with the project - again!

Byron
Byron - Thanks man, it's been a while. :) I'm ready to get this thing rolling. Need to get the seals on the front doors so I can put them back on the car and get the car rolling again.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll get to work on this and see what I can come up with considering your inputs.
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

What does anyone know about replacing the inner window squeegee's? looks like they're held in place by a lip of metal that's part of the door?

Any tips, tricks?

I think I have the outer squeegee's figured out. I'm going to try weatherstrip adhesive to see how that holds up. I haven't heard back from Mike from Datsun Socal Land about clips. But, I'm thinking the adhesive should hold up pretty good; meanwhile I'll do some searches for clips that may work in this application.
James

Post by James »

there is a groove that is part of the metal part of the door that they slide into. Pressure fit.
Finished is better than perfect......