Window Squeegee's

bueiz
Supporter

Re: Window Squeegee's

Post by bueiz »

James wrote:there is a groove that is part of the metal part of the door that they slide into. Pressure fit.
Thanks for the response. This is what it looked like to me, just wanted to make sure.
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

James wrote:there is a groove that is part of the metal part of the door that they slide into. Pressure fit.
So, quick questions about the inner squeegees. The one's in my doors now are definitely old and crusty. Have you guys that have replaced these before just scraped them out? I've started scraping but I feel like I'm just scratching up paint in the groove in the process. I suppose I could spray it to protect after I finish removing.

The squeegee won't just peel out, it's crusty.
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

I use a medium to lrger flat blade screwdriver in the squeegee slot to exert a bit of pressure to open up the gap a tad so the squeegee is easiky pulled out. Be gentle. You don't want to permanently deform anything. You just need it a mm or two wider to allow easy removal of the old part. A dental or o-ring pick (or awl, or small screwdriver, or hemostat) can help pull out the rubber bits that get left behind if they break apart on removal. A *very light* coat of dishwasher soap on the part of the new squeegee that fits into the slot will make it easier to pop in, esp if you use the flat bladed screwdriver as above. Good luck!
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I used the Datsport seal kit on my brothers car last winter - had no problems at all pushing them into the slot – and Tracy and Baz are great to deal with.
I'll be honest though - I don’t recall removing the old ones being any problem at all. I have a nice hook tool that I likely used to get it started (but I don’t remember for sure), and I'm sure I just pulled them out without prying on anything. It takes a little to get it started, but once you have one end out, I could just pull the rest out without an issue on my brothers 4 dr, the Memorial car and the Bronze (both 2drs) - all have been replaced.
Maybe you rubber is just a lot harder than mine were.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Byron's right. If the squeegee rubber isn't totally crumbling, once you get it started just pull the rubber straight up and it should easily come out. Takes 2 seconds. But if the rubber is really brittle from 40+ yrs of sun and heat exposure, it might break apart, leaving bits of rubber still stuck in the door channel. That's when the screwdriver and dental pick come in handy. You'll know once you start.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Check out Miguel SSS's project thread. His current last page has a bunch of pictures showing replacement of the squeeges.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson