IMGP5958 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5958 (Large).jpeg (363.52 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
IMGP5957 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5957 (Large).jpeg (356.31 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
IMGP5956 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5956 (Large).jpeg (369.07 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
IMGP5955 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5955 (Large).jpeg (341.58 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: To The Mountains I Go-September Drive 2020

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP5975 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5975 (Large).jpeg (266.28 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5974 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5974 (Large).jpeg (339.19 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5973 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5973 (Large).jpeg (308.31 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5972 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5972 (Large).jpeg (380.11 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5971 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5971 (Large).jpeg (621.46 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5970 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5970 (Large).jpeg (383.4 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5969 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5969 (Large).jpeg (384.86 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5968 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5968 (Large).jpeg (327.51 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5967 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5967 (Large).jpeg (327.79 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5966 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5966 (Large).jpeg (378.13 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP5985 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5985 (Large).jpeg (405.41 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5984 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5984 (Large).jpeg (542.16 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5983 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5983 (Large).jpeg (454.22 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5982 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5982 (Large).jpeg (476.49 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5981 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5981 (Large).jpeg (426.38 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5980 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5980 (Large).jpeg (481.49 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5979 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5979 (Large).jpeg (291.54 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5978 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5978 (Large).jpeg (287.64 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
IMGP5977 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5977 (Large).jpeg (343.75 KiB) Viewed 2174 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Again, such a nice coincidence that we all happened to pick Saturday for a drive! We lucked out really getting away from the Lower Mainland and this smoke, amazing how the temperature has dropped.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

A few pictures of the clean-up and the odometer rolling 100,000.

I put 105,000 on my first wagon, 200,000 on my 72 wagon, 390,000 on my SR5 Corolla. Can't remember what this car had on it to start when I bought it in 1977, but, It was a Granny low miler.

I must pull the grill over the winter and straighten the fins on the rad.
Attachments
IMGP5993 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5993 (Large).jpeg (279.78 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMGP5989 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5989 (Large).jpeg (406.91 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMGP5988 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5988 (Large).jpeg (425.89 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMGP5987 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5987 (Large).jpeg (355.87 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
Airdam (Large).jpeg
Airdam (Large).jpeg (406.88 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

best selfie ever!
Attachments
Keith_selfie.jpg
Keith_selfie.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
GTATECH

Post by GTATECH »

Some of you passed me on your way home from this event. I forgot just how much I liked 510's and other early Datsuns. I've owned five 510s in my life, and I still think they are great! I'd love to photograph some of them! 510s have super clean lines that lend well to epic shots. When I'm not driving a dry bulk tanker being passed by vintage Datsuns, I'm a travel photographer who, due to the current plague, is quite bored. This is not a solicitation - I am merely looking for stuff to photograph. If you'd be interested in having some professional shots done free of charge, send me a DM. I know my way around cameras and shoot with both vintage and modern lenses. I am respected in the photography industry -google "Glen Gebert," and I'm all over the place. Great looking cars! I missed the blue one, but was glad to catch the red one!
Last edited by GTATECH on 14 Sep 2020 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I like that shot of my car......it lets me see how nice and bright my LED tail lights are!

Thanks for posting!

Keith Law
scooter

Post by scooter »

awe man, i saw all you guys go by me. I was camping on mackenzie (laird) lake on the 5A... if i knew about this i woulda said screw camping and brought the 200sx out.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Steve sent me this nice wide angle shot of the tailing's lookout.

I hope everyone rested from the trip, I am off to the pyro place to get a new thermocouple made up, should only take a few days.

In looking at the Canyon cameras, we made a good choice to go Saturday as the smoke has really flooded to the Interior. It is also forecast to rain this weekend, so again we lucked out by striking when the iron is hot!
Attachments
IMG_0365 (Large).jpeg
IMG_0365 (Large).jpeg (403.99 KiB) Viewed 2070 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

So I think we lucked out on the drive, not great on the roads yesterday, rain in spots.

I know this won't mean much to most, but, I topped up my methanol tank, where it seems I used 1.5 litres on the trip. What that means is that I was under boost a LOT, as first nozzle does not come on till 10 PSI boost, the second at 12 PSI.

It also lets me know the damn things are working!

Keith Law
CP

Post by CP »

Definitely picked the right week-end. I was up through there this past week-end and Saturday was not a good at all and Sunday must have had all the traffic from the week-end before. it was a good call.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Occasionally we get the almost perfect drive of great weather and minimal traffic.

It's too bad that we have so few ways to get out of the Lower Mainland, and with the Border closed, we have lost the back roads of Washington State.

I have a month left on my insurance so I would like to get a small cruise in around the Fraser Valley or.....

I can't do #1 any more times this year.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I agree. For the drive we had near-perfect conditions in most spots. Some times you hit it just right, and some times you can manipulate it to hit it just right – we had the opportunities to do both.

Meeting up early – and not having Keith there waiting for us - it was already an odd day.

On the first half of the drive, I was near the front of the group, and there were plenty of chances to open it up – within reason.
We had a longer break in Ashcroft than expected, waiting for those who took an alternate route, and from a mechanical (electrical?) who needed to catch up. And then a good little sideshow with the guys from Japhands Kustoms. It was entertaining, and I think they enjoyed our rides as well. Turns out these guys have a shop in Maple Ridge, where I'm from. Maybe I’ll check them out one day. Meanwhile, we became a bit of a spectacle at the local Saftey Mart parking lot – but it was all good, I think the locals enjoyed it - at least the ones that stopped to talk enjoyed it.

I waited to be the last out of the parking lot at the Saftey Mart – those in front had a good 10-15 minutes on me. I knew the climb out of Ashcroft was a long one – and it was two lanes all the way up the twisty road. Once Malc and I hit the two-lane section, away we went. We eventually caught Cliff and his brother in the Porsche, then caught the rest of the group at the tailings pond viewpoint. It does kind a look like you are on the moon up there. I can't help but hear a little Led Zeplin in the back of my mind… "when the levee breaks…". I mean, that valley is getting pretty deep out at the end!

Anyways, onward for a nice drive. Again I held back not long after the group got going. It was here that I noticed our moving average speed had just hit 100 kmh/h for the first 3.5 hours drive time – now that's pretty awesome. That happened to be the posted limit in this section, so all was well and I held the average. But natured called, and I waited for a section where the trees got up next to the road – waved Cliff and his brother by as I pulled over. I had my nature break with a spruce tree close by, and got back in the car. I buckled up, looked at my daughter and said, "Well – we're about 10 minutes down, I guess we have to catch up!" She smiles. There wasn't a car around – in either direction until I hit the Meritt turnoff at Logan Lake. My daughter lover it.

From Logan Lake to Merritt – it was again a spirited drive. I caught Cliff, and his brother eventually caught Robin and Mike, then put some distance on all of them until I hit traffic coming into Merrit. Once there was some traffic, you have to back off. It doesn't look good for the group as a whole, and we do not want to attract unwanted attention.
After fueling in Meritt, I was first away from the Chevron but had pulled over at the 97C turn off to make sure everyone was going the right way. It was a good thing I did, I'm pretty sure a few would have missed the turnoff if I hadn't. At Aspen Grove, the group did the same and pulled over. Since I came up last, I was waved through and took the group out front for a change. Well, I passed a local in an F250 who was doing pretty good in his own right. I don't think he wanted to be showed up on his own roads by some little car, and he really didn't want me to pass him when the road allowed me. He easily out ran me on the straight sections. Then a motor home came up a little further on that solved the issue. After a passing lane took care of that little obstacle, it was just 2 lane twisites. But let's put the record straight – my car isn't a powerhouse, maybe 140 -150 hp to the rear wheels on a good day. Geared low with a very nominal top speed as a result. But I don't much let up on corners. I was born for this section of road, and the sea just parted! My daughter was just loving it the whole way.

We arrived at Allison Lake, and I pulled into the parking lot. I noticed when leaving the car, my moving average was 102 km/h – the highest I have ever recorded for a moving average over 5 hours of drive time. I watched each of the rest of the group come down the valley and past the lake – I guess I had made good time while the rest of the group navigated around the slower traffic. Some cars went by my vantage point on the lakeshore – which was beautiful - but did not pull into the rest area.
We were down to 4 cars at this point, having lost three who continued down the road. John noticed he'd picked up some road debris and had a flat developing on the RR. Keith or James had a plug, and an air pump that took care of the leak and flat. And it reminded us all that no one carries a spare… likely not a good plan!

We had a nice, quiet lunch stop in the shade right on the lake. Returning to the cars, we were met by a couple of guys on their HD's check out our machines. They were impressed and asked some good questions. They'd been around the block and knew a thing or two. They liked our rides. It turns out these guys were on a cruise from Maple Ridge as well. As they pulled away, we figured their Harleys were likely worth more than our 510's and Johns Z individually – crazy.

Cruising into Princeton was uneventful – just a nice drive. There was a little more traffic on the road. We met Cliffs' brother in the 911 going back the other way – presume he was headed for home. A fuel top up in Princeton had Malcom catch back up with us. Then we were on our last interior leg, over the Hope-Princeton highway. This is always a nice road, but there's always traffic these days. Unless you travel at 2am mid week, you're going to have traffic here. But it really wasn't bad, and we kept a good pace all things considered, always near the speed limit – just lucky. There are many sections that are fun through here. We didn't catch them all, but we got a few open, which was nice. The mine hill climb is always a good radiator tester. I'm pretty sure I was flat out for 5 minutes - it's a good grade. Up to and through Manning Park was pretty smooth sailing. And there was one section below the Allison Summit that a few of us had no traffic in front of us. And being down hill, Steve was out front in his 4 cyl truck and did pretty awesome! I was impressed. Before coming up on Rododendrum Flats, I realized I had the opportunity to actually drive through a section that I hadn't had clear in some time. We'd had a pretty open section through Manning and put some time on the last group of cars following the Allison Summit, but I could see we were catching another group. I pulled over, waived the guys in our group by and waited nearly ten minutes for the next car in the mirror.
Pulling out, it took that full ten minutes to catch the group again. It was a nice twisty stretch of mostly lower speed, tight corners along the Skagit River. A rock face on the right, a long way down to my left. It just seems every time I hit that section, there is an RV, or a truck, or some city slicker barley navigating his new family van around the corners. This time I had it all to myself, catching our group and the slower cars just before the only passing lane in 20 kms at Rododemdrum Flats.
It was a blast to have that section open – and again, my daughter enjoyed it as I talked her through what I was driving. I was glad to again manipulate the hole in traffic for my little fun advantage. You have this chance, I couldn’t turn it down.
From there to Hope, it's just a cruise. Sit back in the right-hand lane and just do the limit. It is a highly patrolled area, and it's an uneventful last 20-30 minutes back into Hope as we drop very quickly out of the mountains to near sea level.
In Hope, we gathered and decided to take the 7 opposed to the number 1 back into the big smoke. Just as we were about to depart, we're joined by a guy in Carmen Gia. Turns out not just any Gia, it's VR6, Turbo Gia, with no outwardly hits that it's modified other than being low. A cool ride, and he really liked our group of 510's and 240's.
I took the Lougheed all the way home. Kieth, John and James peeled off at the Agassiz Bridge. Malc and I continued on the 7, and had some fun in the twisties above the Agassiz Flats before dropping into Harrison Mills, and the road was fairly open where we kept a good pace until Deroche. From here on in it was down to city pace, but moving well the whole way. Malc Pealed off at Mission. To be honest – I think you all would have been better to stay on the 7 right into Maple Ridge and take the Golden Ears, over the Abbotsford west route on any road south of the Fraser. But it wouldn't have been much different in the end. I was moving the whole way pretty well with three lights in Mission only slowing my progress home.
Arriving home, I read the stats;
Total time – 13:05 hours for the total trip.
Moving time 7:37 hours,
738.9 kms covered
Total average was 56.4 km/h for the day – not exciting…
But the moving average 96.9km/h. That’s amazing for a day time COVID drive! Honestly, the highest moving average I think we’ve ever recorded (and wanted to discuss). We just hit it right this time. Sure there was slower traffic, and everyone was doing their own thing. Remember the guy with his trailer out side of Lytton? My god, I was sure that thing was going over. How to NOT load a trailer!
We were not racing, and no one was out of line. We just hit traffic where we had the ability to pass, and generally, traffic was moving at the time we were there. Just lucky.
To sum it up, a very enjoyable day.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

bertvorgon wrote: 21 Sep 2020 09:34
I have a month left on my insurance so I would like to get a small cruise in around the Fraser Valley or.....

I can't do #1 any more times this year.
Where do we drive without hitting the #1 or the Sea to Sky... there's no other way out.. on a paved road...

So, time to break out the Tracker, and the Xterra! :D

Anyways, keep me posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.