Trip to Stave Lake and Harrison Mills.

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Trip to Stave Lake and Harrison Mills.

Post by bertvorgon »

Thought I would throw some pics on from the day's event.

I instantly tossed my car to the left and hit the throttle, passing the line of Z cars that had followed Richard into the locked gate driveway, and blasted up the hill.

As I slowed a bit and watched my mirror, I saw no other cars following. Stopping, I waited for SOMEONE to come after me.

Miracle of miracles, I heard my little phone ringing, buried at the bottom of my carry bag, which is lying on the passenger floor.

Unbuckling my belts I reach over and emptied the bag on the floor next to me, my passenger seat not in the car. Scrabbling for the phone I answer and it is Richard asking, “Where are you?”

“I am up the hill waiting for you!”

Long story short, I drove back to where they were and “picked” up the group, as they were unsure of actually where the entrance was to the Powerhouse Museum.

The museum Tour was great, heard some interesting stories of the early days of the powerhouse and how it worked.

We also had a good photo op with lots of room to string the whole line of wonderful cars out.

Time for the cruise out to the Sasquatch Inn, the route had been planned to miss the City of Mission traffic.

At a critical junction point, where we should have been doing a left, the leader did a right turn. I just went to the left, with some of the other cars following me. I thought to myself…. Funny….I was supposed to be at the back…..

It was a very nice run out to the Inn with the majority of cars following me. About 15 minutes later, the last car came in.

A good lunch was had by all, that place is really busy as a destination stop for a LOT of bikers.

A few of us headed back to #1 Highway via the Agassiz Bridge, where we finally hit stupidly heavy traffic with no real bail out option. The flush of Sunday traffic from Cultas Lake precluded us from going that way to the South. My water temp at least was staying stable at 170F, thanks to those two fans and big rad. My real worry was my oil pressure and keeping the cam oiled. This was to be my final “straw” for doing this corridor in the 510 for awhile.

The three of us finally could bail off the highway at Sumas, drop down to Vye Road and have a reasonable drive to 16th and home.

Thanks to Richard for the invite, met some new people and saw some great cars!
Attachments
IMGP5099 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5099 (Large).jpeg (390.06 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5097 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5097 (Large).jpeg (606.74 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5094 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5094 (Large).jpeg (554.78 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5092 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5092 (Large).jpeg (514.41 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5091 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5091 (Large).jpeg (414.08 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5088 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5088 (Large).jpeg (521.64 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5087 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5087 (Large).jpeg (545.51 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5085 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5085 (Large).jpeg (557.62 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5082 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5082 (Large).jpeg (568.58 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5081 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5081 (Large).jpeg (612.75 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

More
Attachments
IMGP5119 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5119 (Large).jpeg (378.76 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5118 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5118 (Large).jpeg (385.3 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5116 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5116 (Large).jpeg (325.52 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5114 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5114 (Large).jpeg (406.77 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5111 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5111 (Large).jpeg (508.63 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5109 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5109 (Large).jpeg (278.25 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5106 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5106 (Large).jpeg (438.99 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5104 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5104 (Large).jpeg (555.6 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5103 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5103 (Large).jpeg (555.61 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5100 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5100 (Large).jpeg (423 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Last
Attachments
IMGP5128 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5128 (Large).jpeg (553.86 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5126 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5126 (Large).jpeg (563.17 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5125 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5125 (Large).jpeg (463.83 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5124 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5124 (Large).jpeg (443.1 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5123 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5123 (Large).jpeg (544.56 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMGP5121 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5121 (Large).jpeg (387.72 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Great pictures Keith.

Having only been up to the Powerhouse once, and that was five years ago, I thought: I'll ask Keith how far up the Turn out is . Keith answers. Oh only about 10 minutes if that. Of course silly me didn't realise he was talking in Vorganese time. For us regular folk it was more like 20 minutes.

After driving for said 10 minutes.. then a bit more. And passing the new Dam.. I started to get a bit worried. I'll just pull over for a second, wave Keith by and follow him. I wave Keith by... and the last thing I see is a puff of Black Smoke from the exhaust and the back end of the 510 squatting as he disappears around a hairpin turn. . Ruh Roh!! That's it. He was gone like the Millenium Falcon hitting Hyperdrive. I didn't have a chance to catch up.. and had no clue where I was. Google Maps weren't much help either.

Anyhoo.. we got that sorted finally, .... much to my embarrassment ( There was more to follow ). Thanks to Keith for shepherding the Lost Sheep.

Great Tour at the Powerhouse. We had a Tour Guide by the name of Wendy. She supplied some really interesting information and history of the project. Also filled most of us with fear... as she explained how many different ways a person could die. Death, instant Death, nothing but Ashes... Vapourized . You certainly gained a healthy respect for the men and women who worked there.

After the Powerhouse Tor we proceed East through Old Dewdney Trunk road. This looked interesting with all sorts of Twisties. Unfortunately the Google Maps pace notes left a lot to be desired. And signage in the back woods is virtually non existent. My navigator gave me a " 300 right 2 " ... that should have been a " 300 left 3 " . Ooops. Not his fault. He was on vacation from Mexico and have never been on this road before either. My Spanish isn't so good either. Stubbornly pushing on. I noticed that the Sun was directly in front of us. That and the fact that no one was following us and that we could see the Fraser River... and lots of new Houses, Shopping Malls, Schools etc... started to give me that sinking feeling in the Stomach again. Did I mention that the signage in that part of the Country is really bad?

Anyhoo. We finally got turned around . Headed in in the right direction and attempted to play Catch up. Attempted was a good word as we got stuck behind a slow moving Train of vehicles out for the proverbial " Sunday Drive " to Harrison Hot Springs.

We finally rolled into the Sasquatch Inn .... about 15 minutes later than everyone else. Ahemmm :oops: . Sasquatch Inn made up for it though. Interesting clientele to say the least. But food and waitress were great. I had a Sasquatch Burger... man was it good. Best burger I've had in a long time. Munching on my Burger, sipping an long cool " Iced Tea " ( Hard core I know ) . Listening to Brian Peters and Keith discussing various Mining and Gold scams by various " notorieties " of the Vancouver " stock Players' . It was a good time.

When it was time to go, several of us headed back to Mission. It was Matt Armstrong's daughters 10th Birthday and we stopped in for an impromptu visit. Both she and Matt were delighted . Especially with the presents we dropped off for Sophie. She reciprocated with some really yummy Birthday Cupcakes that she made herself :mrgreen:

Had a great time visiting. Some of us relaxing under a Neighbours shade tree. Some of us drifting off on the cool grass. Ian Tanner looked like something the Cat dragged in though. Turns out he was on a Stag the night before and got to bed around 4:00 AM. He was looking a little worse for wear. It was about 100 F in Mission at the time. Did I mention that the Sasquatch Inn had awesome air conditioning. AC in my 280Z was pretty danged nice too.. ( Gloat )

Easy drive back home... after we poured a few buckets of water over the SU carbs on Ray's 240Z. Fuel percolation takes on a new meaning in Vintage cars in desert heat. Traffic was surprisingly light the whole way. Got home... fell into bed and slept for two days.

Great Trip. Great stories. Great Friends. thank you all for helping make a fantastic day.

The End.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

All my whining aside..... I had a great day!

For me to talk "shop" with someone who knows the mining industry, is very, very rare, so that was just great! That Brian is my age had him in the same time period of so many of the Howe Street stock promoters and scams in Vancouver.

I have written about so many of the HUGE scams I was exposed to through my work in the Precious Metals Industry, I wish I could put them "out" there somehow. You would not believe what people get caught up in, and in a few cases, led to murder...insanity.

Keith Law