2018 Canby show, June 8,9&10th, Clackamas county fairgrounds

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2018 Canby show, June 8,9&10th, Clackamas county fairgrounds

Post by bertvorgon »

I hope all made it back safely, looked to be a wet weekend. Looking forward to some pictures and report.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
OSGiken510

Post by OSGiken510 »

DNW Canby 2018, what a wild weekend, record turnout Friday and Saturday, rain and hail, Peter Brock and his wife Gayle signing things and visiting with Dato owners, more rain, biggest swap/vendor I think I've seen at Canby, rain, Steve Wishman from Datsuncrush taking video, pics and doing interviews, rain/hail/lightning storm, cruise to Barton park, in the rain, our car show and raffle, oh yeah in the rain. All joking aside Oregon early summer weather can be a strange thing and this is the first time it has rained on us all three days. Yet we had a great turn out, die hard dato owners came out and tuffed out the rain and made this year great!

Big thanks to all the volunteers who helped run the show, THANKS!! couldn't do it without you.

Special thanks to Byron for killing it with moderating the talk with Pete Brock, what a great job with the question and speaking with him. We listened to stories for 3 hours, we barley scratched the surface. I got lots of compliments for this, but I can't take any credit, Byron your the man, THANKS!

Thanks to everyone that attended the show.

Steven & Katie Pepka
DNW Pres.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That was a great weekend. Thanks for hosting.
It was my first time to Canby but I don't think it will be my last.

I left home at 5:30am Friday morning headed for the ferry. It was normally a 16min drive but took me 25 as it was raining hard. I have never driven my car in rain like that and on cold tires it was sketchy. I stayed to about 50kph and made it to the ferry without incident. I seriously thought about turning around and going home but it looked like the rest of the drive would be better so I chanced it.
There was light rain when I got off the ferry, I had lowered my tire pressure on the ferry to 24lb cold in hope of building a bit more heat in them and it worked pretty well. The car felt planted on the road as long as I stayed away from standing water. It was dry from the second narrows bridge to the border. I made to to the store on this side of the border at almost exactly 8am and before Byron and his brother.

The 3 of us got in line and had great weather till just after Seattle. It started to lightly rain but the car felt good so I was happy. Around Everett somewhere the road got really rutted and it started to rain pretty good. My car does not like badly rutted roads I found out, especially not in the rain. I had Byron in front and Sean behind me. Driving in the center lane was terrifying. I had to hold my wheel at about 45 degrees to keep the car going straight and without warning is would shoot over to the other side of the lane. I tried the slow lane and it was almost as bad. I did a couple of lane changes that were not on purpose. Finally I went to the passing lane and all was good. I was able to relax and drive at a better pace without a death grip on the wheel. Once we hit Oregon the weather was nice again. I had stop and go traffic for about 45 min around Portland and once I turned off the main highway it was smooth sailing to the hotel.

It was a great turnout at the show. I wasn't expecting such a wide variety of cars. There were a lot of rat rods and beaters and I think just as many really nice cars and drivers. I have never seen so many Datsuns all in one spot.
Saturday night was the dinner with Pete Brock. It was very interesting to listen to him tell stories for 3 hours. I think it was the first time I sat still for 3 hours and didn't feel like going to sleep. Byron did a great job. You could see the excitement on his face getting to ask Pete questions.

I met a lot of really nice people and talked for hours about our cars. I don't think I have had that much fun in a long time.
I left before the car show on Sunday. I wanted to see my kids before they went to bed and it was calling for rain again. I decided to lower my tire pressure some more to see how it felt. It was a great idea. I went down to 22lb cold which got the tires nice and hot n sticky. My hot pressure was at 26lb. Every time I would stop my tires would be dry by the time I got out to look at them.
Just as I was about to leave Oregon I started to get passed by a group of Corvettes. I counted 17 of them. They were all newer cars and they were all sticking together and booking it. I decided to past myself to the tail of the last one and see if I could keep up. The weather was nice for almost an hour and a half so these guys just kept going at the same pace. It was pretty easy to keep up but there was a few times they tried to loose me I think. My car stayed between 4500 and 5000rpm in 5th for almost the entire time. I have never driven that kind of speed sustained for that long before. My car actually felt better than it does at normal hwy speeds. They all bailed off the hwy with a honk and a wave and a bunch of thumbs up. Then I was on my own the rest of the way. I made it to the border in record time and only had to wait 10 min to get through. I was at the ferry terminal with an hour to spare and made it on the 4:40 home.
I will try to get some of the pictures I have up later today.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
OSGiken510

Post by OSGiken510 »

Yeah Byron looked like a kid on Christmas opening his first BRE model sitting up there with Pete, again great job Byron!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Minus the rain and more rain it was an awesome event! Wow Peter can talk!! I'm so glad Byron did the interview. Learned so many new things about his career I didn't know. Thanks Byron!
funwithmonkeys wrote: 14 Jun 2018 14:20
The 3 of us got in line and had great weather till just after Seattle. It started to lightly rain but the car felt good so I was happy. Around Everett somewhere the road got really rutted and it started to rain pretty good. My car does not like badly rutted roads I found out, especially not in the rain. I had Byron in front and Sean behind me. Driving in the center lane was terrifying. I had to hold my wheel at about 45 degrees to keep the car going straight and without warning is would shoot over to the other side of the lane. I tried the slow lane and it was almost as bad. I did a couple of lane changes that were not on purpose. Finally I went to the passing lane and all was good. I was able to relax and drive at a better pace without a death grip on the wheel.

There is one spot on the highway north of Everett I would say mile marker 202 that is insane how bad it is. My 510 with the rack and pinion, almost everything solid, it handles fine on most of our crap roads. I hit that area coming back from buying some parts....WOW!! I took my wife's Chevy through the same area, just as scary!!!!! I heard they are going to repair it soon. A buddy lives up there and he drives a Lexus and it does the same thing. Not good.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
chunstone

Post by chunstone »

Thanks for all the great photos, they're great! :D
4 link VG30 wagon, Stage 2 cams PP heads headers.
170 hp-180 tq
Call Doug at UP Motors, Tacoma, "engine swap elite"
Alveen240/610

Post by Alveen240/610 »

Where are the photos. I see none