Octoberfast 2014

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
RMS
Supporter

Octoberfast 2014

Post by RMS »

September is under way and October is coming fast, with new higher speeds (10k :roll: )posted on the highways is it worth making this Octoberfast a Canadian drive were we stay north of the 49th?

if not we need to make plans to head back up to the mine
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
gooned

Re: Octoberfast 2014

Post by gooned »

:?:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

1) Mine trip
2) camp out
3) Octoberfast

These three will get done, and not necessarily in that order. The 110 Kmh speed limit is only in the boring parts, and we do that anyhow :lol: . That being said, what does the "group" want to do? I was planing across the line, down the Chuckanut drive, then maybe down past Anacortes and down the peninsula on the island, then back up. OR, hook right and back up to Baker, or....

Matt and I still waiting to see how the Tracker is, and where it is, after it was stolen. Once we know when the return window is, then we can plan camp out and mine trip. Mine trip could have us as passengers.......

The camp out should require 3 days from those that want to come. If we go to the Bralorne area, it is 7 hours to get there, 7 back, so we really should have at least one day to explore and two nights burning stuff over a fire.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

:cry: thats cool, you guys fly across the line, 6inches tops out at 110 so I would be struggling to stay with the pack anyway. :cry: :lol: mine trip sounds good but you don't want to be a passenger with me those troop seats are ruff and the possibility of oak splinters in the rear is high :wink: and if I had the car out would you really want to be in the back ? Image
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

:D Great airborne shot Robyn! Love the Sideshow Bob hair profile! :wink:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
gooned

Post by gooned »

I'll detour for a sec and post a trip report from Whipsaw last weekend:
http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/sho ... -Brookmere

Let's try for one more overnighter before it gets too ugly? Mud lakes & Poison Mtn? Whipsaw was Very dry this year...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Holy Cow, you got up to the old Caroline Gold mine..I used to process their material until they had the CYANIDE spill. I thought the road was blocked with a new gate!?

Nice pictures.

the Tracker is now at the body shop, some more damage has been found, so we still don't know where we stand yet, specially for when we get it back from Dumores. Once we do, and things seem ok, then we will throw some dates on the calendar for sure.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

bertvorgon wrote:Holy Cow, CYANIDE spill. .
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

well it's a good thing I always tell everyone "don't touch anything" where was said spill? We got XX mins into the main shaft before heading back out. I was going to ask if you had knowledge of the place next time we cross paths...

I'm trying to recall how the photobucket thing works, Josh has some good shots here too.

Good luck with the repair/ICBC process :roll:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hah, little cyanide never hurt anyone...hell..we used to wash our hands with it to remove silver nitrate stains.....they had a spill that went into the creek, big fish kill...end of mine....

Some guys are trying to promote it again...Vancouver stock market play...usual bullshit. Suck in investors, drive nice cars for a few year, make stupid money, then disappear.

http://www.newcarolingold.com/s/Home.asp

I really wish people weren't so stupid to get caught up in this type of crap.

remember our RED MOUNTAIN GOLD MINE..some major BS went on with that this winter, as guys tried to promote that thing..get this..ready for development in May. Had a guy phone me...of course he NEVER envisioned that he would run into someone that knows that mine intimately...I blew him out of the water with the bullshit story, specially since Matt and I had just been to the base. They were asking 6 million dollars, what a joke. I told him that thing will NEVER be mined again, for all the reasons.

I recognized that mine right away. there is a shaft up above that you can drive through, pretty cool. I have not done that yet, but, now that I know you can still get up there....did you come out on the Coquihalla?

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

Yeah I saw both those being promoted, easy access right off the coq...passed a cavalier heading up!

I just added a couple pics to that report, I see where you coulda drove in without the lock-blocks there. I'm also interested in the older workings up there, if there's anything left...
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Bert, ready for a minor off road excision yet? I've driven my rig around enough to trust it now.
Let's plan a trip before the snow gets too low in them there hills!

However we may need to start a new thread, instead of the Octoberfast, it'll be the Octobercrawl.... Or the Novemberdismember....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

yes, that sounds like a good idea. We will look at next Sunday, as Matt works Saturdays.
We have put our camping off, as both Manning has closed and Matt can't take anytime. I guess I can put my Boler away now, I had really wanted to go one more time with the wife, but, Manning closed down early due to the weather, so only the winter site is open, NO campfires.

We too are now able to trust the Tracker for the most part. All fluids changed out last week, and brakes looked at, no issues at all. It looks like we really did luck out on this thing.

We will plan to head to the Ashlu again, I will talk to Matt this morning to make sure he is ok with that.

We should be ok up there for awhile before any snow becomes an issue.

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

im in for next Sunday. made up a new set of cleated chains for 6inches and put together a better recovery kit. 3ton cum-along, extra 20feet of cable 12ton sling, 3/4in recovery hook, shackles, shovel, 3ft bow saw and a working propane stove.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I will bring the smokies and some fire wood again.

Mmmmm...hot coffee and smokies.....

Who knows what the weather will be, too far away to predict, looks to be some sun and showers?

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

UPdate:

looks like Matt has to work this Sunday, so will look at Sunday, November 9th, as the Ashlu trip.

Hope that works, gives me time to get the Hankooks mounted anyhow.

Keith Law