RUN TO THE CASCADES 2014

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
Byron510

Re: RUN TO THE CASCADES 2014

Post by Byron510 »

Good morning Niel,

As Keith posted above, this cruise has been aborted for this weekend due to likely rain on this side of the coastal mountains.
Maybe for next weekend the fires will die down on your side, and the weather will be on our side and we can meet for lunch in Winthrop.
It's funny, the weather outside right now looks perfect for a drive. But it's scheduled to change overnight, and of course be nice and sunny for Monday morning again....

So - what are you local 510 guys up to this weekend?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

If it is dry Sunday.....go for a small blitz somewhere?

I just got my starter motor back in, and with the new battery, I am getting full voltage now. There must have been a bad cell in there. I am lucky I had no other starting issues on the past weekend.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
msaunders
Supporter

Post by msaunders »

Keith, I'm with you on aborting until next weekend. The long range looks good. After the slimy cruise up the canyon last summer, I'd also like to have a nice clear window. If it's nice Sunday I'd be in for a cruise
Matt
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Bit off Topic..but I thought this might be a good place to ask. I'm looking for someone with a hoist in the Lower Maninland ( I'm in Coquitlam ) that I could use for a day. Willing to pay a reasonable amount. Need to get under car to replace AC compressor, Rear Sway bar and grease some U-Joints. Maybe replace the slave cylinder if it comes in in time. Anyone local who can help? PM me please. TIA.

Edit: If I can get all this done, I might be able to join in next week. Need AC for California trip in August.
Malcinator

Post by Malcinator »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share that I am running in Vintage Closed Wheel Group B at the BCHMR Historic Race weekend at Mission on August 16 & 17. Come check it out.

Malcolm
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World.

I don't know what others had for weather on the weekend, but I sure had a mixed bag in Whiterock.
I did even look at the I-5 across the line, and it was pissing on it for awhile on Saturday. Yesterday I left for a mountain bike ride almost in the sun, then got rained on, it got cold, cleared, more rain, then blazing sun by the time I got back home.

Next weekend looks good, another high pressure building after mid week, so we will shoot for the drive Saturday, July 26th if that works for the most.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Who's on for the weekend?

Keith Law
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Sorry Keith, I'm out. That noise that I thought was my rear end turned out to be my left rear wheel bearing :( . I don't have time or the proper tools to tackle it. I will have to wait till Octoberfast I guess. Ron.
chumstone

Post by chumstone »

Lucky the trip was aborted. The fire was totally crazy and is still out of control. Burned 150 houses. There is still no power to Winthrop, so no gas or water, let alone an ice cream. The mayor actually asked folks to stay away, which is pretty unusual for a tourist town.
You might want to think about another location as more fires might start with tomorrows thunder storm.
Thanks for the notice that the event was postponed.
VG30 4 link wagon, 170 hp, 180 tq
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Wow...I wondered about that. I looked online yesterday and saw the fire damage and mention of power in Winthrop out.

thanks for the update, I guess we will re-consider this trip, as we cannot risk not being able to fuel up.

Any thoughts on another drive route, and who are able to make it?

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm still in Keith, car is ready and rarin' to go.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

I might be able to make it. Depends on how fast I can get the Dash and Interior back together.

Length of last trip up to Stave Lake was about right for me. How about a trip to Krause Berry Farms in Abbotsford ( I'll have to look up the address ) for some breakfast/brunch. They have amazing Belgian Waffles with fresh Raspberry, Strawberry or Blueberries. Yummm!!

Then maybe a drive to Manning Park Lodge and back? Early dinner, ice cream...short nap under Pine trees by the river... then a nice drive back?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Where should we go though? If we fueled up in Sedro Wolley, we could still drive up to the Liberty Bell lookout, have a snack/picnic lunch, and have enough fuel to get back to Sedro.

EDIT: I just called the gas station at Winthrop, they are running on generator power, so are able to operate...at least today. I will call one of the restaurants later today, get a status about lunch. If it is sketchy, we can just pack our own lunch and eat at that park where we parked last year, and met Neil.

2ND EDIT: I dunno, they are warning traffic using highway #20, of the fire fighter traffic in that area. So many scenarios.....there are 2,500+ fire fighters down there, I don't think we should under estimate what is going on there. I will do a bit more research, and maybe if you see this Neil, give us as good an update as you can...and would you think it would be a good idea right now.

We could go to the Brittania Mining Museum, do the tour, then go to Squamish for lunch?

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

bertvorgon wrote:(Snip)...

We could go to the Brittania Mining Museum, do the tour, then go to Squamish for lunch?
Brittania sounds good. Sunday would be better fpr me. Have a Birthday party Saturday evening.
chumstone

Post by chumstone »

I do not think that you would have a problem if you were to drive to Winthrop. Most of the fires are to the south. I heard that a lot of the power poles were burnt.
My main concern would be that today, the thunderstorms will start fires that will be fully engulfed by the weekend.
I will be out of range till Thursday evening, and will check here to see what plans develop.
I would drive to meet you in Winthrop on Saturday if it happens and all is clear.
VG30 4 link wagon, 170 hp, 180 tq