RUN BEYOND HOPE 2012

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
Byron510

Re: RUN BEYOND HOPE 2012

Post by Byron510 »

I'm supprised that our moving average was that high for the day, as the traffic on the way back from Pemberton felt slow - maybe it's relative. I had no speed refference as my GPS was 'off line' due to a loack of electron flow. I had the tach refference only to go on.

What a great day, though.

So Bert - Oktoberfast?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

had a fun time on the drive,i guess it was a four door gremlin day eh jason.
i wanna thank byron ,chad ,aron and keith for help'n with my engine issues,
it made my return drive way more fun. :mrgreen:
HPIM0092 (Large).JPG
HPIM0092 (Large).JPG (185.74 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
HPIM0094 (Large).JPG
HPIM0094 (Large).JPG (189 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
HPIM0095 (Large).JPG
HPIM0095 (Large).JPG (204.76 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

more pics
HPIM0096 (Large).JPG
HPIM0096 (Large).JPG (192.29 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
HPIM0097 (Large).JPG
HPIM0097 (Large).JPG (182.95 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
HPIM0098 (Large).JPG
HPIM0098 (Large).JPG (165.43 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

HPIM0099 (Large).JPG
HPIM0099 (Large).JPG (192.55 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
it was a fun trip . maybe next drive there will be more five tens .
Last edited by butters68 on 24 Sep 2012 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

ImageImageImageImagethat was a good day out. i was happy to be able to keep up in the rally car. not much in the way of gravel or ruff roads so i was not able to take full advantage of my high riding soft sprung dime. on the bright side my spine wasn't pulverized as i cruised on 185/80R13s. but she was a handful in the bends as she swayed and rolled with a bit of under steer.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Yah, 4 door problems for sure Mike! What a great drive with a great group of guys, 10 dimes and a Toyota Cressida 'goon! I'll post up some pictures tonight, I crashed pretty early last night so I haven't moved them off my camera yet except for the one I posted from my mobile enroute to Duffy ...

My buddy Andrew was driving when we lost the clutch slave just into the Duffy lake portion climbing out of Pemberton ... Lost the tailights and horn AGAIN, coming back on the Sea to Sky, damb old cars eh!

Thanks for organizing the trip Keith, guess we can still do Octoberfast?
Jason
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

that was a great day.. we had a little bit of everything, long fast sweepers,slow tight switch backs, nice smooth roads that where a dream to drive, to the other extreem rough broken roads.
The day was well worth getting up so darn early. ont the way up the Duffy Lake road I stayed back with Mike and Alveen, just to make sur he was ok, I could see he was a little frustated but Butters was doing allright. Mike waved me on and sent me on my way to try and catch the othe group, I was not able to catch them as they had about a 10 min. lead. That was ok, I had the whole road to myself with no trafic. I was having a blast :twisted: but after about 30 min. I started to make myself feel ill. this is a first for me, that is just how windy that road is. I backed off a bit to take a break and in just a couple of min. Alveen caught up and we had a nice DRIVE for the next few miles.
We finally rolled into the Aand W with Alveen, Andrew,Jason,Mike And myself

thanks Kieth I had a great day
Aron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

There are more than a few blind crests and corners on that road - keeps you on your toes! :mrgreen:

That's why it's such a great road, and the real twisty bit takes an hour and a half to go through, which is awesome because it just keeps on keeping on!

Byron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Not to blow our horn, but, to drive that as fast as some of us did, and be able to visualize the arc of a corner, even some of those decreasing radius, over the hump drops, does take some skill at speed. Traction is paramount, which brings the need for the best tires and a stable rear end to the fore.

That older pavement is getting quite worn now, with the shiny tops of the aggregate coming through. I found a couple of fast corners a tad slippery, and turned it down a notch.

Maybe we all need to save our pennys for a day when we could just plain rent Mission!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

bertvorgon wrote: Maybe we all need to save our pennies for a day when we could just plain rent Mission!
Maybe we need to take Malc's advice - go to a track day at the Ridge next year...

Besides, I drive my car so little these days, the tires get hard before I wear them out - this needs to change :-)

Malc says there are plenty of blind crests at the Ridge, be good to see them.

However a track day won't give the views of the mountains we get to see over the Duffy :D

Byron
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

OK now that I’m feeling better and rehydrated I’d like to give a shout out of thanks to Keith and the rest of the group. With this being my first big trip in the car I had some reservations about going. At the end of the day I was glad I decided to go. What an awesome drive, made even better by going with a great group of guys. Thanks for making me feel welcome and including me in the day’s fun. :)

Highlights of the day for me were = unscheduled pit stop on the side of the road so Mike, Byron and I could change out a suspected faulty mechanical fuel pump and filter, hitting the first large switch back and seeing Keith’s car launch up the hill and disappear in front of me not to been seen again until the lunch stop, hearing Malcolm’s car pass me a full song, seeing James’s car come into boost and pass the car in front of me, checking out the cool patina on James’s car and admiring Matts KA swap during the lunch break{nice job Matt!}, getting a refresher course on reading plugs from Keith, finally feeling a little more relaxed in the drivers seat after knowing what to expect from the road allowing me to having some real fun on the way back after getting around the RV trailer at Duffy, and hearing Byron pin it going through the tunnel on the way home…

Things for me to remember for the next time=Stay more hydrated! Maybe use a camelback on the back of the driver’s seat when driving in the twisty sections next time.

Chad
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Given the GPS records MOVING (6:55) time, my engine hour meter recorded 7.2 hours running, likely the diff being engine warm up and traffic lights...interesting & very close.. Not sure how much fuel is left in the tank, but I made it back to the plant on the tank no problem. I will see if I can top up and check mileage.

I always have a water bottle next to me on these drives, they can be quite the work out.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Rehs

Post by Rehs »

Fun Times! Thanks Keith for organizing it! Thanks Jason for the seat and seat time! Byron, I have that Garmin P/S for you.
Here are some of the sites I saw.

Last edited by Rehs on 25 Sep 2012 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

It looks like I missed a great run!Darn wedding.I am sure glad I didn't have to come and get you hooligans out of jail for ROAD RACING!ha ha ha.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Road what......?

Those are great photos Andrew, they really capture the trip and the scenery!!!!!!! Thanks for posting those.

Now..on to OCTOBERFAST........he fall colors are coming.

Keith Law