EFI Manifolds For Sale, IR for Datsun L-Series heads

Post your forsale and wanted ads
KoHeartsGPA

Re: EFI Manifolds For Sale, IR for Datsun L-Series heads

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

There's a guy on Ratsun looking for EFI mani, I'll link this up to that thread!
Diego.
analogxb

Post by analogxb »

hey Byron im definitely interested in a manifold
510tdi

Re: Applitcations

Post by 510tdi »

Byron510 wrote:Here are a couple of different applications for the above-mentioned EFI, L-Series manifold. The first used a fabricated plenum, and a single throttle body. This project was done many years ago, and was done for less than $500, plus the purchase of a manifold. It used the entire EFI system from a 200SX parts car. These days, you'd be better off using something much newer, but the concept is still there. The system was complete with an idle air system, and even a PCV system. This car worked very well, and was installed on a 2.2L motor in a red 1970 510 wagon and was at Shasta in 2000. Made an excellent street/ solo car with excellent drivability and very good fuel mileage.
The second application is for the serious go fast crowd. This set-up utilizes TWM throttle bodies, an aftermarket EFI computer and is installed on a LZ 2.4 motor. Power is in the 230HP range. This would be a direct replacement setup for those currently running twin Mikuni/Webber type set-ups.
Just a couple of ideas to throw out there.
Byron
Are you still taking requests? I've got a wagon w/L-20/2bl Weber that I'm not that happy with. I bought the car with an engine swap in mind because, as much as I love 510s, I've never been that keen on the L engine's lack of eagerness, torque, or fuel mileage. At this point, though, I don't think I'm up for a swap project. Have you come up with a better, simple, cheap, salvaged EFI system to use with your manifold since 2006? Could I actually get a basically stock L-20 to come alive AND get better mileage with a junkyard EFI + manifold set up?

Thanks for your consideration,
Bryan
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The only time I adapted a Nissan OEM EFI system to this manifold was back inthe 90's, and I used a 200SX L jettronic unit to do it. There is no means of adjustment, and although it worked fairly well, I would certainly say it could be better.
My SDS does a much better job, but it's also 90's technology. A proper 3D EFI system today (name you brand here) is much more capable, but costs are higher.
The advantage is that if you used a 240SX based system, you can at least re-flash the ECU, giving you that much more adjustability. Sky is the limit, but I know I proved that I could build an EFI set up in the 90's for $500 - that was my goal. Maybe there is a better system out there - I haven't researched it.

What I do know is that I need to cast more of these manifolds. Response has been greater than I ordered in my casting run a number of weeks back. That being said, I won't have them ready until summer as I still need to get the electrical work completed in the shop before I can drop the milling machine in there to do this task.

As for the engineering of a junk yard EFI - it can be done, but you'll need to research your own project as there are so many variables. It would be impossible for me to this from afar. The key is the manifold, from there you are on your way.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510tdi

Post by 510tdi »

Thanks for your response.
Any idea of the cost for one of your FI manifolds?
Can you describe how the L-Jet (200sx) system changed your original L2.2? How much quicker? What do you mean by very good gas mileage? Too long ago?

Does anybody out there know of a common 2000's era 4 cyl. Japanese car that has what would be considered a modern version of the L-Jetronic, that might be adaptable? For too long the L-motor induction choices have been orig. Hitachi (kinda lame/where are the parts?), side draft Webers/Mikunis (gas hogs), downdraft Weber (meh), or SUs (cool but still a carb). It would be so great if there was a FI system readily available fresh from the junkyard that, along with your manifold, would transform the L engine into a 20-year more modern behaving engine, on a budget. Not necessarily a fire breather, just quicker, smoother, and more efficient. Pie in the sky?

I wish I knew more about where to start in figuring out potential appropriate systems to use with your manifold. I did just spend a couple hours reading up on the history of fuel injection, something I should have done a long time ago. I bet one of the geniuses that frequent this forum could look at your manifold, think about it for a minute and say "Oh yeah, a 200? ToyHoNissan set-up would bolt right up!"

If a guy were to decide to pony up the cash for a new "proper 3D EFI system" where would you start looking?

Thanks,
Bryan

PS-You're planning on coming down to Canby in June, right?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

First - clarification - EFI won't give you a HP advantage over using carbs with identical volume potential and tuning, EFI just gives you the ability to electronically meter you air/fuel ratio opposed to atmospherically metering as a carburator does. It's just simply easier to tune most EFI systems across a broader range. Trust that this makes sense.

Costs will be in the 4-450 range for this IR EFI manifold.

Which EFI system to use - that's tough to say. Just google stand alone EFI, there are dozens of systems out there.

As for Canby, oh yes I will be there. Hotel was booked a month ago. It would be great if I had these done by then, but it's unlikely as the 3ph power decision in the workshop is still being worked out between the electrical contractor and the city rules I must follow. Both have been slow to respond which is holding up the program a bit. I need the 3ph to run the miliing machine before I can finish these manifolds.

Byron
510tdi

Post by 510tdi »

Thanks again.
Do you remember anything about fuel mileage improvement?

It does seem that having an induction system that's tune-able across a wider range would mean better acceleration and more fun to drive even if the peak HP isn't higher.

Can you put me on your list while I do some research?

Good luck with those electrical permits!
510tdi

Post by 510tdi »

So I googled stand alone EFIs and ended up talking with Andy at SDS who knows you (small world). Very nice guy who most definitely was not trying to sell me a system. He was, however, very informative and knowledgeable about L engines and more.
510tdi

Post by 510tdi »

Correction: Andy was at Specialty Engineering.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

There certainly there were mileage improvements in both cars that I did drive. Also there was a notable emissions improvement as we had to pass smog tests. The tunability of the EFI is certainly there, infinitely adjustable on a stand along system. This is what made it possible to drive a large cammed engine on the street, because there was little to no air pressure signal at idle to control fuel metering on the carburetors, this is where the set fuel controls of a good EFI system count.

However regarding adapting an OEM system, you'll have to do your homework on that one. On my ancient and very simplistic L-jetronic 200SX set up - as crude as it was I still saw a 26-28 MPG range on the highway. But to be equally fair, I got the same with my Webber 32/36 on that car before the EFI went on. Cold starting was much better with the EFI, though. And the warm up cycle is much smoother. For the daily car that was, it did work well. However compared to today's standards, there certainly was room for improvement.

I'll put your name on an EFI manifold :-)

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Andy's a really good guy, and has the knowledge and clout behind any L series engine. He's rung an insane amount of HP out of these old engines. And he's also used the SDS set up like I did on the Bronze.

But doing your homework on what's available today is the best route. The SDS systems are really quite inexpensive, but are as their name implies - quite simple. However they do work well and are very intuitive as to their function and set up. And not needing a lap top makes them even easier to get along with. Not a sales pitch, just my experience.

That said, the things that Haltech and Motronic are up to these days is beyond crazy, and I'd love to try my hand one day with a real high tech newer motor with one of these systems, something that can control throttle by wire, advancing cams, turbos and the like - all in unison and smooth as glass.

Byron
510tdi

Post by 510tdi »

Hi Byron,
I checked in with a friend from the Volvo world who knows a bit about Bosch FI and, by chance, has also always been a 510 owner. When I mentioned your manifolds and that you'd retrofitted the 200SX L-Jetronic on to you L engine, he thought he remembered that the 200SX FI and manifolds would swap onto a 510 with no fab needed. Is he talking about an earlier sytem or just bad memory? As far as a good system to try and retrofit, he was recommending a Bosch LH 2.2. Any thoughts?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm sure he's referring to A510's, some of which came with the NapsZ engine - and in this case he would be absolutely correct. PL510's are of course L-series, and precious few of these came with EFI, and none with IR EFI which is what I built.
If you are planning on retrofitting a junk yard EFI system, I'd look seriously at something much newer than the L-jetronic. Technology has simply co m so far, it makes sense to jntilize it. Just my thoughts.

Byron
510tdi

Post by 510tdi »

Thanks for the clarifications.
Seems I'm often searching for that sweet spot of efficiency, performance, reliability, technology, simplicity, and affordability. I think maybe there is no sweet spot.
Nismo4ever

Post by Nismo4ever »

Put me down for a manifold also !!
69 510 race car
57 Morgan +4
Portland,Oregon