Reversed front crossmember

Post your forsale and wanted ads
Abe Froman

Reversed front crossmember

Post by Abe Froman »

I have a 510 reversed cross member ready for that engine swap, it has had the control arm pivots removed reversed them welded back in. The way bar lip was removed once reversed for the cleaner look, then painted black. This is a late style cross member, please look at the photo's there are some dent's on the bottom from a jack ( most have them ) and some shelf wear in the paint.

SOLD, SOLD, SOLD !!!!

Last edited by Abe Froman on 04 Oct 2017 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Reversed front crossmember

Post by Three B's Racing »

I did this exact same mod on a crossmember when I was doing my SR. But the crossmembers mounting holes were so far off from the bodys mounting holes I didn't use the crossmember because I didn't want to elongate them that much in fear of compromising strength. Did to check to see how close or far off the holes are from the body mount?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

A lot of cross members have been done this way, this one was bolted in a car when I got it and seemed to fit fine.

Thanks for the input.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Hey Abe

That's strange in that the one I have wouldn't line up. I know it's from a '72 510 and it isn't bent and mine is a '69. Wonder if that's the difference? Yeah the reason I did mine was because I was old it'll bolt up with just a bit of elongating the crossmembers holes.

thanks
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
deano510

Post by deano510 »

I've been doing this mod for close to 20 years and what I do is weld up the stock holes. Then weld in a plate on the under side and drill new holes to fit the reversed holes, using a welding jig to get the holes right. The problem was, that the frame rails either diverge or converge, so the holes are close but not close enough.

Dean
gzentas510@outlook.com
Beegee2

Post by Beegee2 »

Three B's Racing wrote:Hey Abe

That's strange in that the one I have wouldn't line up. I know it's from a '72 510 and it isn't bent and mine is a '69. Wonder if that's the difference? Yeah the reason I did mine was because I was old it'll bolt up with just a bit of elongating the crossmembers holes.

thanks
Hi from New Zealand,

There are a lot of cars with this change in NZ and the reason yours doesn't fit well is, as you thought, the '68 and '69 had a

slightly different crossmember , and the gearbox crossmember also has slightly different mounting points.

Cheers,
Bernie.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Sounds resonable thanks!! I like Dean's fix. I'm going to do this then sell it.
- John Lennon