rear wagon airfoil

Post your forsale and wanted ads
MikeY

rear wagon airfoil

Post by MikeY »

I heard Byron might want a airfoil for his wife's wagon. I have one and the mold to make more. After seeing all the wagons at the last meeting I thought the whole gang might want to know about them. This is the Factory Approved fiberglass airfoil that attaches to the rear hatch. It works great to keep the rear glass clean and looks great, I think. They were only available in Canada and I had a bunch made a few years back to sell to the Americians. $75cdn gets one made with white or black gel coat. Originally they were painted to match the car. Byron I will sell you the copy I have on hand cheap to thank you for your help with the intake machining. Only one intake left so that project went well.
Attachments
on my car
on my car
as shown in the approved parts catolouge
as shown in the approved parts catolouge
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks, I'll take it Mike, when ever you have a chance, drop by and say hi.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
MikeY

Re: rear wagon airfiol

Post by MikeY »

i was poking aroung the site and found this old post. i often wondered if there was any new intrest in making a few more of these for sale. i belive the mold is still around. i would have to check and get a quote to have a few made.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I'm in Mike, damned back window always gets covered.
Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I am confused, my above post states that it was posted today, but this post was done in. 2004!

:?:

Byron
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

i dont know how that date got changed byron but i was playing with the side and used a bump to restart the thread. i probably did it then. i know you are not waiting for one. lol Jason i will go visit the guys who do my glass work and make sure they still have the mold and get a quote.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It is strange that this could be accomplished.

Spencer, do you have any thoughts?

Byron
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

That'd be great Mike, I'll be betting that you could sell quite a batch of those! Wow, back to the future for a second chance, I'm gonna be busy!

Thanks!
Jason
chunstone

Post by chunstone »

Seeing that there were 27 wagons at Canby, I'll bet you could find more buyers.
Some folks have made foils cutting the top part of a rear hatch, but the owner of a beautiful green wagon (Glen?) that always comes to Canby has had both on his wagon, and likes the fiberglass one the best for keeping the rear window clean.
I have both but have not installed either as I'm undecided. Can't bring myself to drill!
4 link VG30 wagon, Stage 2 cams PP heads headers.
170 hp-180 tq
Call Doug at UP Motors, Tacoma, "engine swap elite"
Tessmobile

Post by Tessmobile »

I have the above mentioned Wagon and have had both types installed. The one fabicated from the top portion of a donor hatch required two one inch holes to be drilled on the inside of the wagon's hatch. These holes provided the access to install the lock washers & nuts. You also had to fabricate support posts that slid over the attachment bolt (between the foil and the hatch, aka spacer). I installed this foil because I liked the look of it and that friends of mine had made it for me. Thanks Doug V. & Steve P. I used it for over a year. The air (& water) flow over the hatch window resembled tied back curtains leaving a triangle of clear window. When used in dry dusty conditions I had to actually clean my back window.

So after that trial period I went looking for another hatch because I wanted to use the Cdn spoiler again. I thought that we couldn't repair the drilled holes on the outside nor the 1" holes on the inside of the hatch. Mr Mike came to the rescue with his welder and spray gun. We painted the top outside portion of the hatch. For the 1 " holes inside I used rubber plugs from the floor drain holes.

Every year (9) my week long Canby trip seems to hit some severe rain storms. The difference in the opperation between the two styles is quite evident. The Cdn spoiler keeps the rain off the entire rear window and in dry weather I never have to clean the outside of the window. It was worth the cost & trouble going back to my old one, it works so much better. I now have to do something about the inside of windows as a certain 95 lb German Shepherd pup (Konrad aka Mr K) has a tendency to lick & press his nose on the inside of the windows. Further to that problem when he stands up I loose all rearward visablity ! !

I would highly recommend getting Mike's Spoiler.

Cheers

Greg
(now going back into Luurker mode)
Janky510

Post by Janky510 »

I wound interested in one if they're available!
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

i would like one
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

i left the mold with the glass shop and have not talked to them in years. the shop has moved and i hope the mold made the trip. i will drop in on them next week and update you guys then. they seemed pretty profesional an i am assuming it is fine. its good to see some intrest. at worst a new mold can be made.
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

I'll take one.
MikeY

Re: rear wagon airfoil

Post by MikeY »

I checked and the mold is still available. They will be $100 and $20 to package and ship by mail. The exchange rate is pretty much the same so the price in cdn and usd are the same. I can take paypal. white is the preferd color as they will pull one at a time as they have the gelcoat mixed to do other jobs. other colors might be availabe but will probably cost a bit more. Im not sure how long they will take and as well the shop is about 30 mikes away in Nanaimo so i dont go often. I will place orders with them as soon as you guys tell me you want one. I will expect payment when i tell you it is ready for me to pickup and ship. thanks for your intrest
mike