Who do you have for insurance and how much do you pay?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
B^2

Who do you have for insurance and how much do you pay?

Post by B^2 »

I'm in the process of doing a few modifications to my 510 after shipping it out to the west coast from the east coast and I'm realizing that I probably need to have it insured for a higher agreed upon value. My guess is that if something were to happen to the car now, I'd probably get next to nothing for it. I currently have Geico but I haven't looked into having the agreed upon value be in the 15-25k range. Anyone know if this is a possibility? Who do you use for insurance? Trying to figure out if it's going to be cost prohibitive to do something like this or if there is something I'm not thinking about that I need to be aware of.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Who do you have for insurance and how much do you pay?

Post by bertvorgon »

I have gone with a local Insurance company, similar to Hagerty. I wanted to deal with a Canadian company in my case.

I had to have the car appraised by a PROFESSIONAL appraiser, who did major homework as to what 510's were going for, and then he physically examined my car and took pictures, agreeing in $50,000.00 as total loss payout. In that policy includes storage insurance. He gave me a nice booklet showing his research, etc..

I would just make sure that you read policy and be clear as to USE of the car. I have heard anecdotal story's of Hagerty NOT covering some things as the use was not defined in the policy.

My 6 months insurance for my liability, required here by our Government insurance was about 480. and my yearly premium for my total loss..a cheque for $50,000.00 CDN...is $755.00 CDN a year. Well worth it to me due to the idiots on the road and our traffic exposure on some of our drives.

Also, it cost me $300.00 at the time for all the appraisal and research. It is recommended that every 3 years..or...as values go UP, that we might have a re-appraisal to reflect those rising values.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I have USAA and pay about 55 bucks a month for full coverage with theft. I daily drive my cars.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
john510

Post by john510 »

I just did a Hagerty policy.One year for my '71 510 is $345 for $20,000 agreed value.Also includes some free towing up to 20 miles.