Momo wheel installed... but difficulties with the momo hub...

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
shaddai

Momo wheel installed... but difficulties with the momo hub...

Post by shaddai »

Howdy,

I got tired of the ghetto Grant wheel the previous owner installed, so I finally picked up a new Momo wheel and hub. The wheel looks amazing... but the hub was kind of sloppily formed and tight. I was able to get it mostly installed but there's a gap between the back of the hub and the horn wiring/metal piece/thing/whatever you call it... the old Grant hub also had the same issue... so there's no horn functionality.

Anyways... I tightened the s#$@(*& out of the hub to get it installed and as close as I could, but there's still 1/3" or so of a way to go. Thoughts? Is there something wrong with the hub? The steering column? Me?

Did anyone else have issues with the momo hub? Also... the turn signal cancel prongs seem to be rotated 90 degrees from stock. It seems to work okay so far, but it's not perfect. Also... I installed it off by a couple of degrees. Damnit... have to take it off and do it again.

Pics for clicks.
Attachments
wheel_installed.jpeg
wheel_installed.jpeg (535.09 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
shaddai

Re: Momo wheel installed... but difficulties with the momo hub...

Post by shaddai »

And it ate an attachment...
Attachments
hub_installed_kindof.jpeg
hub_installed_kindof.jpeg (328.86 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Here is a picture of my Momo hub...there is a gap...did you carefully bend the horn power metal strip down a tad to contact the ring?
Attachments
IMGP7503 (Large).jpeg
IMGP7503 (Large).jpeg (369.18 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

bertvorgon wrote: 12 Feb 2020 11:57 Here is a picture of my Momo hub...there is a gap...did you carefully bend the horn power metal strip down a tad to contact the ring?
No... but I will do that.
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

There's also a gap on mine and I was wondering if it was normal... I thought maybe the column plastic was cut down by previous owners for another hub. I guess it's normal... I did not check if the tab makes contact with the hub.

shaddai

Post by shaddai »

Okay... I pulled it off, adjusted it (straight was not straight... damn it), and bent the horn connector thing and it's alive now! (don't) Mind the gap?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Glad that worked. I remember when I installed mine I wondered...What the hell!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Mine is the same. That is just the way they are. For the turn signal cancel prong I cut mine off the drilled and tapped a hole where it should be and put in a set screw sticking out the correct amount. I got tired of the turn signals canceling as soon as you move the wheel one direction and not canceling at all the other direction.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

funwithmonkeys wrote: 14 Feb 2020 20:10 Mine is the same. That is just the way they are. For the turn signal cancel prong I cut mine off the drilled and tapped a hole where it should be and put in a set screw sticking out the correct amount. I got tired of the turn signals canceling as soon as you move the wheel one direction and not canceling at all the other direction.
I thought about doing that... but it seems like way too much work...
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It took 20 min....
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Same for mine, seems to be normal. I guess the spline hole is just a tiny bit smaller than the Datsun.