Trans drain plug size

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
bluesbrother30

Trans drain plug size

Post by bluesbrother30 »

I have a 280 zx trans that I am bolting to my L18 motor. What size is drain plug on the 280zx trans?? Looks to be square but what size is it?? Trying to get staff in a generic auto parts store to find one has been maddening. Thanks all

Mike

Sacramento, Ca
icehouse

Re: Trans drain plug size

Post by icehouse »

the square drive hole works with a 1/2 drive ratchet unless its really tight... I tried to get a tool from the Snap-on dude. He couldn't find one. Let me know if you find something that works. I always end up welding a bolt to it so I can get a better bite.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bluesbrother30

Post by bluesbrother30 »

Yup that is the problem....most everyone says, just use a breaker bar and a 1/2 drive. Well the previous owner used that technique. I don't think I have ever had a drain plug in so tight...and the 1/2 drive is starting to round inside the plug. What is needed is a 14mm SQUARE drain plug too. It is square not hex and it needs to be a male tool not a female. Most likely will have a 1/2 drive. I have called all over, checked the net and even talked to a Snap on tool guy. He had never seen one. Millions of those cars (transmissions) out there......where in the heck is the correct tool??

m
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Have you tried applying a little heat to the case around the plug?
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

If you have access to a machine shop, you could always mill 4 or so mm off 2 planes of some 3/4 square stock, and weld a good sized hex head to it. A little futzing, but I would wager the end of your problems
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Try a little heat first, it’s sound advice.
Aluminum moves fast, much faster than the steel plug.

Keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If running, take for a drive. Transmissions get hotter than you would want to hold your hand on. Aluminum expands twice as much as steel so the hole will be larger when heated. Not much but everything helps.

Put your 1/2" breaker bar in place and push it up with a hydraulic jack. Now try it with a couple of feet of pipe over the handle. Remember lefty loosey, righty tighty. The H-190 diff plugs are the same so I expect so is the R160 see if you can find another. Use a good anti seize on the threads when you install it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
510rob

Post by 510rob »

datzenmike wrote: 22 Oct 2019 19:14Use a good anti seize on the threads when you install it.
+1 on Anti-Seize