Is this ok price for a 510 4dr?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
apm

Is this ok price for a 510 4dr?

Post by apm »

I found a nice 1 owner 1971 510 4dr with no rust anywhere.. Although I would prefer it to be a 2dr coupe, I was thinking of getting it.

It's 100% stock and still with original wheels on it. No service records though and owner is asking $4.8k..Is this an ok to good price?

Engine is stock and only has 4 speed I believe. Thanks
zKars
Supporter

Re: Is this ok price for a 510 4dr?

Post by zKars »

If it truely is a no-rust car, then it is a great price.

I would not buy it without a very thorough inspection however. Even the most apparently 'rust free' Datsun's I've seen normally have a surprising amount once you sand blast them to their bare-all state. Proceed with caution.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

While possible, a one owner is very rare. Service documents would really help here as a provenance. No rust is also very rare and subjective... there is always some rust somewhere if you look. Was it repainted? maybe repaired at some time? 100% stock is also very rare as some things can't easily be replaced and a substitute used, like a fuel pump. Original rims? 47 year old nylon rubber tires would be scary. Odometers roll over to zero again above 99,999 miles so if reading 59K it's very possible it's 159,000 miles and you would have to look at high wear items like the brake pedal rubber, driver's door hinges, carpet under the pedals and decide. There were only 2 and 4 door sedans and wagons. A coupe was only available in Japan.

A totally unmolested original miles one owner could be worth it. Again, service records and an original bill of sale would sure help..... even family photos with the car in it..
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
apm

Post by apm »

Thanks for all the inputs.. I believe there was some repaint here and there, but not whole car it's pretty straight. I meant very very minor rust here and there as this is expected. But nothing big from front engine bay to the trunk and inside cabin.

It's a bummer no service records of any kind but I checked with local department motors and it's clean title history with what appears to be a true 1 registered owner.

The wheel is the original wheel but tires are new sorry not clear about that.

He was asking for 5.5k at one point, but I think he is willing to go sub 5k.
apm

Post by apm »

Drives great in interstate highway at high speeds, but needs tune up I believe. It still has that original 70s plate on it. If it's a 2dr I will not hesitate to buy it, but maybe 4dr is not too shabby either for the price.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

nothing wrong with a 4dr. in a lot of ways the 4dr is easier to live with. yes the 2dr looks sporty but the 4dr is stiffer and easier to load.
the only problem with a 4dr is listening to guys who say "too bad its not a 2dr".
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
apm

Post by apm »

Decided to pass up for now..We stalled out on difference of $200 lock mate.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Keep in mind that the 2dr Sedan & 4dr Sedan have the exact same wheelbase, roof line (aka "greenhouse"), front & rear glass, drip rail etc etc.........Nissan basically shortened the front doors & added rear doors! The JDM & Euro 2dr COUPES have a completely different "greenhouse", with different front & rear glass etc etc.
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
apm

Post by apm »

Ok yeah thanks for the info..I was actually contemplating on picking it up now that some funds are freeing up. It's hard to find a decent 510 with good body and minimal rust nowadays.

Even in California people are asking for an arm and a leg for some basketcase. The good ones are pricey.
apm

Post by apm »

Bumping this up in case anyone is interested...Spoke to the owner last month and the 4dr white Datsun 510 5spd is still for sale and he wants $5k for it.

I'm passing up at this point due to parking issues. PM me if anyone is interested, car is in Portland Oregon