Doug's automotive

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
icehouse

Re: Doug's automotive

Post by icehouse »

They sure are! It's fun to be able to balance the amount of tech in your car if you want. I'm excited to try my cell phone data app for autoxing. I like that it's something I can take out of my car when it runs it's coarse, along with lots of other things.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I didn't mind the hijack. Here's a picture of Doug, ( the guy with the helmet in his hand) to bookend the thread. Looks like Westwood wasn't the only place he raced the roadster.
Attachments
IMG_2577.JPG
IMG_2577.JPG (113.79 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
nordance

Post by nordance »

Hi Byron and friends.
Had to jump into this thread with a few things: I believe Rotary Datsun was the first dealer in lower mainland back in 64 or so (West Broadway in Van); and the guy in the picture with the helmet is Don Lamont with Ed Deak and the the event was probably the Shell 4000. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Brian DeLong
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

You are correct, I reread the email I received with the pictures. It is Don Lamont. Glad you could add another name to the face.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

While this may not be the year, 1967, their names show up on the Shell 4000 rally of that year, very cool!

http://shell-4000-rally.org/4000_web/19 ... esults.pdf

looks like they placed 11th, no shabby performance.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
nordance

Post by nordance »

This picture was from the 1966 4000; they finished 14th oa ; 2nd in class.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Mike, sorry for the left turn to your thread, I’ll keep it short.

Keith, I bought two Engine Air turbo kits from P Pistner. The first one was well used and only included the carb box (painted red), exhaust manifold, and schwitzer turbocharger. Everything was beat but I got my feet wet and never turned back. A year later I bought the second kit which was new and mostly complete except for missing the fuel system.

When I moved on to hand built parts I sold one of the systems locally and I think I sent my remaining parts your way, or to someone else in the Vancouver area via the realm. I’m guessing it was early 2000s.

Around 87 I talked to you about the 198 compressor upgrade and you faxed me a copy of that compressor map which you mention was hand drawn. The upgrade made a huge difference.

Your mention of the road going Trans Am spec mustang sounds epic!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Ok, Maybe that one kit came back to me from someone else then. Harry wanted to get a 510 after his bad experience with the Mustang. It turned out that the pilot was pretty hard on that motor so harry had to rebuild it. He and I did a few road trips, him in the Mustang and me in my 72'sedan. Not along after the rebuild the motor hatched again, the chimps that he had rebuild the motor did not have a clue. So, he sold the Mustang, which would be worth a fortune now, and bought a 70's Corvette, one of the worse handling cars I have ever driven..PERIOD. As he did not like that he wanted to get a 510 and it was he who told me to check out turbocharging, he some how got one of Dicks kits. Before he could get a 510 he went back to Prince George and left the kit with me to sell.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer