Supporter

Re: Dime Quarterly ending

Post by brknrekord »

10/4
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

FYI:
there is still a 510-centric publication - sometimes...
the 510 Club of BC newsletter has been still bumbling along for 20 years.

It's nice to see you back, JS, even though it seems short lived. I'm sorry to hear what happened, and feel somewhat responsible being a moderator...
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

510wizard wrote:Last I heard their was only a little over 100 subscribers to the DQ, not enough to make it fly long term.
okayfine wrote:AFAIK, we had/have 300+ subscribers, and have had +/- that number for more than a few volumes.

I stand corrected on the amount of subscribers, I thought it was less.

okayfine wrote:But good luck at finding 510 owners willing to cough up that kind of jack. Lots of people have told me they just don't have/can't be bothered to spend $15 for a year of the old DQ.
As they are ordering their new go fast top mount turbo manifold for that SR20DET, but still can't come up with that $15.

okayfine wrote:510 enthusiasm dying is a huge deal.
I have noticed this to, but it seems to be more with the newer owners than us long time 510 guys. The turn over of owners is the highest that I have ever seen in my 39 years of playing with these cars. They purchase,build or attempt to build a 510 into their dreams, then sell it, never to be seen again. On to the next dream I guess. Maybe it is just more apparent because of the web. Hard to build up enthusiasm when the long term love/ownership for the 510 isn't there.

Julian, It is very nice to hear from you again. Amassing what happens in those PM's, thanks for the update.

Monte
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

rnorrish wrote:FYI:
the 510 Club of BC newsletter has been still bumbling along for 20 years.[.quote]

I thought I read somewhere you all were considering stopping that...for much the same reason as DQ is ending? You guys got tech? You need another writer (half kidding...half not).
rnorrish wrote:It's nice to see you back, JS, even though it seems short lived.
With the final two issues of DQ finished on my end (mostly), I've got a 510 itch that still needs to be scratched. Preview of the penultimate issue is up now:

http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eview.html

Where are all the white women at?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

510wizard wrote:I have noticed this to, but it seems to be more with the newer owners than us long time 510 guys.
At the same time, a lot of the lifers have dropped out of contact for the most part. You never hear from Cary, or Claypool (though he posts here now and then) or Kelvin on the BB list. I'm still a relative n00b, having only owned 510s since 1994. Seems a perfect storm when the old guard don't post and the new guard don't care.
510wizard wrote:They purchase,build or attempt to build a 510 into their dreams, then sell it, never to be seen again. On to the next dream I guess. Maybe it is just more apparent because of the web.
Lots of parallels between the 510 scene and "kids" these days. My wife is a high school teacher and I hear about it all the time, and see it in the grading I help her with. All the more reason I don't see another 510 publication coming to life - the old(er) guard have BTDT two or three times (UFO Reports, FTA, DQ) and the new guard do not read for pleasure. If they can't find it out via Google, it ain't worth knowing.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Julian

You and I have had our scuffles in the past but it has never swayed my respect for you, all you've done, and all you have helped.

Thanks my friend..

Lou "Men are respectable only as they respect"
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

okayfine wrote:
rnorrish wrote:FYI:
the 510 Club of BC newsletter has been still bumbling along for 20 years.
I thought I read somewhere you all were considering stopping that...for much the same reason as DQ is ending? You guys got tech? You need another writer (half kidding...half not).
rnorrish wrote:It's nice to see you back, JS, even though it seems short lived.
With the final two issues of DQ finished on my end (mostly), I've got a 510 itch that still needs to be scratched. Preview of the penultimate issue is up now:

http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eview.html

Where are all the white women at?
We've had our struggles, and like the DQ, everyone doesn't want to see it die. The only difference, that I can see, is that we have a paying club membership that relies on its publication. They also pay $40/year, and want something physical in return. So now, I've taken over as editor again, and we will be producing 4 quarterly issues (gasp!) and one calendar this year to see how things go.

Being only quarterly now, means I want to have more content than our usual meeting recaps and mostly event coverage. We publish anything that is submitted - even had a Stitch & Bitch section for the wives at one point - as long as we think the club members would find it interesting. There used to be a Car of the Month, and tech how-tos, etc. much like DQ, but the usual submitters burn out, and no one replaces them. Maybe thinking there's nothing new to add 20 years later?

But you're right, there is no better time for modifying a 510. There's so much variety now! It's not everyone just adding the latest L-series motor as it becomes available in the wreckers. I guess we'll see how things go. Hopefully it's just not updates on my glacial-slow-paced resto-mod wagon.

And feel free to submit! I'll send you a membership, stickers, and a subscription on my dime!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

okayfine wrote:Lots of parallels between the 510 scene and "kids" these days. My wife is a high school teacher and I hear about it all the time, and see it in the grading I help her with. All the more reason I don't see another 510 publication coming to life - the old(er) guard have BTDT two or three times (UFO Reports, FTA, DQ) and the new guard do not read for pleasure. If they can't find it out via Google, it ain't worth knowing.
I agree, there does seem to be a fundamental shift in the collective attention span of the younger generation. Another social aspect necessary for sustaining a publication like DQ is a sense of community. This is yet another area of social de-evolution in the Y generation. This may be a massive generalization to say this, but I see social loafing today as the norm and not the exception.

With regard to passing on the torch to the new guard I think there is an even bigger gap that will need to be bridged, We 40 and 50 year olds grew up with the 510 as being an accessible alternative to the common hotrods of the day. For most people the 510 is a rarity that is often mistaken for a Fiat. We need to bring our passion for the Dime to the grater public to promote interest in the next generation. I think we should encourage our community to bring their cars to any and all hotrod shows and let it stand out for what it is. The 510 is the Alfa Omega rice tuner car, and we should tell that story. If we keep our passion isolated in our clubs, and insular 510, Datsun, and Nissan shows it will die out with us. It's time we represented this car as the fantastic classic car it is. Many people are saying this is the "golden age" for 510 builders. I think it's time we showed the rest of the world what we've been up to. Rich aka Goichi just showed his coupe at an open show and got a first place trophy.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RonM wrote:I think we should encourage our community to bring their cars to any and all hotrod shows and let it stand out for what it is.
Hehehehehe...I did that. Camarillo has a classic/hotrod car show once a month during DST. Two friends and I convoyed, one in a Plymouth Superbird clone, one in an early Cougar 'vert, and me in my 510. The show was in this parking lot and we all turn in the drive. Dude comes up to me and says I can't park here, '80 and earlier muscle cars. I'm like, this isn't Bowling Green.

I'd attended previous shows and I knew the mix of cars (new GTOs, a VW Bus with a mid-mounted 454 that did wheelies, a '58 Mercedes sedan, among the muscle cars). I asked him if I walked through the lot, the only things I'd see were '80-and-earlier muscle cars? Logic didn't phase him and I had to park on the street.

You're fighting the even-older guard with the "if it ain't 'Merican, it ain't worth diddly" mentality there. Trouble is, it's the same basic idea (hop up your car), but ain't everybody as welcoming of "furrin'" iron. Though I do wish you good luck.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

We have a 'show and shine' every Sat night? at the local A&W I've never been to. 10% of me expects to be ignored/snubbed for my choice of vehicle if I were to turn in. The other 90% wins out and tells me I don't need their approval and I motor past them enjoying the ride.
Last Sat I was in the Costco parking lot loading groceries in the trunk and an older guy and his wife stop and say "Sweet car, what year?" "'74" "Great to see one on the road today" "Great to be driving one on the road today" (I grin)
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I hear you Julian, I'm sure we've all run into the same narrow minded American only dogma over the years. My first 510 was a direct rebellion against that crap. The intent of my posting was to stress the need for expanding our presence, and to build that next group of enthusiasts. That being said maybe the term "Hotrod show" was a bit miss guided on my part. I guess "Car Show" would have been more appropriate. Although I've seen European cars being shown at "Hotrod" events, the stigma around anything Japanese at a holier than thou hotrod show still exists. All the more reason to push I say. This dogma is fading in younger generation, and they respect Japanese cars every bit as much as the domestics, if not more. If these kids knew it was the 510 that started the tuner craze the dime might get the recognition it deserves.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Buzzsawlouie

Post by Buzzsawlouie »

okayfine wrote: Until such time as there is another 510-centric publication (in dead-tree format, virtual, or what-have-you), feel free to write up what you've accomplished, worked on, or learned along the way and I'll link it from the DQ blog.
I'm glad you said this, because I had a couple of idea's for DQ article's, but honestly was a bit intimidated so I didn't submit them. Once I discovered DQ was closing up shop, that intimidation feeling turned to guilt. I don't like guilt, therefore I chose to ignore it... :lol:

In light of the DQ going away in print, I think the Blog format is excellent. In some ways superior...
Kelly
aka Buzzsawlouie
'70 510 2-dr KA24DE in process... Ex '71 510 Wagon Owner
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'm finding the DQ blog less exciting for me, personally. I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you enjoy it and how you think it is superior. I might be able to use that information and make it better yet.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Having been a "writer" for years, I have seen the shift through our own club and newsletter. So much is the "instantaneous" response the Internet gives, has made club newsletters, etc., a thing of the past.

A newsletter required some contribution from members to keep it vital...and literally to have content. When no one takes the TIME to contribute, it is no wonder that things die.

I like to WRITE, so maybe I can link to your blog. I like sharing my stories, maybe an ego thing, but, I can now look back over 30 years of writing, and even though my memory has faded, that written text brings things back in a heart beat.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Buzzsawlouie

Post by Buzzsawlouie »

@Okayfine

When I first heard that DQ was going away, I assumed that its departure was to be Ad infinitum & I resigned myself to that fact. When searching the Classified section one afternoon, I stumbled across the DQ Blog and noticed a couple of entries (entries I recognized from my old DQ publications). I thought this was pretty cool & checked again the next day to find more. I thought "Wow! The guys at DQ are putting all the great content online!"
What makws this exceptional is that the blog will be easily searchable for specific content.
I consider myself a fairly organized individual (being a nerd of an engineer...), but on several occasions I have not been able to find that "one" article that I need for a specific tweek. Case in point, I was planning to modify the 510 strut tube and wanted to utilize Kelvin's excellent writeup on the subject. When the time came to actually doing the project, I couldn't find that DQ issue! I ended up purchasing another copy. When I did eventually find the original it was under a cardboard box on the work bench but it had been ruined because paint thinner had spilled on it sometime in the past. It would have been much simpler to search the blog. Also as stated in your previous post, it appears that the tenured staff at DQ is open linking new articles to the blog. This seems more efficient in terms of getting info out there in a timely fashion.
I belong to GMCtruckforum (Because like Chis of Maine I too own a Beast of Suburban). I rarely fail to find poignant info for my Burb and hope that I have helped other as well.
Well that's my 2 cents. Sorry for the long post, but you asked.... :mrgreen:
Kelly
aka Buzzsawlouie
'70 510 2-dr KA24DE in process... Ex '71 510 Wagon Owner