Dime Quarterly ending

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
RayJohns

Re: Dime Quarterly ending

Post by RayJohns »

okayfine wrote:DQ's esteemed proofreader and contributing editor Mr. Fant linked me to this thread. I thought I'd pipe in since DQ is a topic near and dear to my heart.
I only ever read a few issues of DQ, but always enjoyed them. Sad to see them go.
okayfine wrote:
DQ ending is nothing like FTA's end, or even the first "sale" of FTA. Ray got bored and moved beyond 510s, so he decided to dupe his then-editor to "buy" FTA. I've done everything to avoid a repeat of FTA's lack of quality, lack of timeliness, lack of content, and lack of notice regarding the end. If there were enough people still contributing content to DQ, this wouldn't be a topic of conversation.
Just to set the record straight...

Nobody dupped anyone. What happened was that Danny - who I had hired and who was working as our editor at the time - called me one day and threatened to quit if I wouldn't sell him the club. He told me, "I'm doing all the work and you're collecting all the money". I told him yeah that's how it works when you are the owner; I was starting another business and burned out on running the 510 club, so I took him up on his offer to buy the club.

Nothing against Danny. I think maybe he underestimated what it took to run the club and perhaps was also going through some difficult personal stuff in his life. But he certainly wasn't dupped into anything. We agreed on the terms, drew up a contract and he purchased the 510 club - simple as that. He made an effort to pay me what he owed for buying the club, but after a while the checks stopped coming. When I called to ask why, he bascially said he's not gonna send any more checks; he's gonna become a long haul truck driver and someone else is gonna run the club.

At that point, what he did with the 510 club wasn't really any of my business any longer. Yes, technically he skipped out on our original deal, but I didn't have any reason or desire to hold his feet to the fire over it. My other business had taken off, so I just marked the whole thing off as a tax loss on a bad debt and moved on. At least he published a few more issues than I would have been able to at that stage in the game, so that's something to his credit.

Danny was a good guy and we always got along fine. Please keep in mind I was a lot younger back then (and a bit hot headed) when I started and ran the 510 club. I might not have always been the easiest person to deal with at times, but I brought the 510 club back on-line after Rex out of a legitamate love of the Datsun 510.

Say what you will, but I have nothing but fond memories of running the club and publishing the 510 Again newsletters. I still have an entire set of them in the drawer downstairs - I felt we did an admirable job with what we had to work with and I know many of our members very much appreciated our efforts.

Anyway... long live the 510 and all that

Ray Johns
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dang!!! I didn't know you guys still mailed them out! I would have for sure signed back up. Used to get them way back when.

I'd offer to write some stuff but I'm sure you've read enough of my post to realize it would require to much work to make it understandable. haha
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Have to add one opinion about the new generation of 510ers. You gotta remember a 510 is about 10x more money then it should be for what it is. So many fun RWD options that are cheaper and handle light years better out of the box. O and they don't try and kill you with exhaust fumes and gas smell. I love my 510's but going to the track it's amazing what cars you can get for cheap and with very little money they car really tear it up.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
obrut

Post by obrut »

"You gotta remember a 510 is about 10x more money then it should be for what it is. "

I just bought my first 510 a few months ago and your statement is spot on.
1972 4 door hopefully with a L20B and side drafts before to long
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

obrut wrote:"You gotta remember a 510 is about 10x more money then it should be for what it is. "

I just bought my first 510 a few months ago and your statement is spot on.
Well, now they have "collector" value added... :P
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

I thought this ended years ago.
Internet killed the newspaper star.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Might be gone but never forgotten.

UFO
FTA
DQ

510s Forever!

Enjoy the Ride!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

While the 510 Club of B.C.'s newsletter likely did not have the same exposure as the others, it was done by a group of true enthusiasts for almost 20 years. It was a wealth of information, stories and other 510 related topics.

One of my retirement projects is to try to put a complete set together and get them scanned into the Web also. There are enough core members left that we should be able to do that.

We also did some very nice calendars over the years, would be kinda neat to scan those pictures in also.

Here is a small sample of some of them.
Attachments
IMG_0003 (Small).jpg
IMG_0003 (Small).jpg (134.36 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
IMG_0002 (Small).jpg
IMG_0002 (Small).jpg (140.19 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
IMG_0001 (Small).jpg
IMG_0001 (Small).jpg (134.03 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
IMG (Small).jpg
IMG (Small).jpg (156.01 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
68Datsun510

Post by 68Datsun510 »

Having been "into" 510s since the early 2000's, i feel like i caught the tail end of a wonderful community between the bluebirds list, and DQ. Without DQ I would have likely never discovered the 510 world. Through it, i met a local Datsun guy who would go on to found the Sacramento Datsun owners club in 2005. NorcalUFO, Shasta, etc. Its hard seeing it gone still. I was sadly one of those lousy people who didnt chip in and subscribe, of course hindsight is always 20/20. Many of the editors, Sebastian, Julian, etc were all very influential in my "younger years" on the Bluebirds list as well. Its a shame that so many things have changed so fast that many conventional publications, information sources, communities etc have all but vanished.

As a younger Datsun guy (32) Im still trying to keep it fun within our Sacramento community when possible and trying to prevent the 510 from becoming the next Civic. We DO make large, award winning showings in local muscle car gatherings. We take club participation awards annually against local muscle groups, only to force them to open 2nd and third runner ups categories. Of course when Datslocos challenged us, it was a 1/2 win again!
Sacramento Datsun Owners
~Visit Sacramento Datsun Owners on Facebook!
mattyhacks71

Post by mattyhacks71 »

Those scans are cool. I wonder if Cam's car there with the Midas logo on the side is the one he still has today. "Pisn'Nisn" or whatever the plate says lol
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

mattyhacks71 wrote:Those scans are cool. I wonder if Cam's car there with the Midas logo on the side is the one he still has today. "Pisn'Nisn" or whatever the plate says lol
It’s the same car, although since it was reborne in orange I guess it’s old nick name ‘Grassy’ (given to it by Cams daughter) no longer applies.
The paint came because the car was flared years ago, and the car was flared simply to get wider race rubber under it. Cam's goal was, and had been for years, to personally break the 2 minute barrier at Knox Mtn Hillclimb.

But those days in the 510 are past I think - Cams bought a new toy this past year as he simply feels the 510 it too valuable to race at a venue like Knox - the mountain has taken a lot of cars over the years, including his own brothers 911 a few years back. So we’ll have to wish Cam well in the new ride this year.... it I’ll leave that announcement to him to make.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As Byron has stated, as our cars have become worth significant money, I would not even run Knox now if I could.

Like mine, Cam's car is street legal and that is where the value is, not as a "race" car. I have seen 1/2 a dozen 510's written off at Knox as it is totally unforgiving when it all goes wrong.

I must phone Cam and see what he bought!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

long sleeping thread but I can not seem to find "vol 03 Issue 2.pdf" in the archived files. Any help would be appreciated
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(