Tales of all things Datsun...

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thank you Scott, I appreciate the comment!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

TALES FROM THE GREAT ROLLING DYNO

BERT VORGON REVISITED

Knowing that our track day was cancelled, I actually dragged the "rolling dyno" out a couple of weekends ago and took it out to the Willowbrook Novice slalom. Novice was quite appropriate, I felt just like one! The day was so cloudy when I got up that I did not even throw the slicks in. Figured I was just going out for fun anyhow. Rats, should have taken them. That ol'e competitive streak does not take long to show itself, specially once I started to get my doors blown off! Know what we mean, eh Jamie? The 008's just are not slicks. I just kept tossing the car....just kept hitting cones. O.K., lets turn the boost down. That was better but I still needed to slow the old right foot down. Slow down and you will go faster, isn't that the rule? Should have stayed up late and partied.
I found myself sitting on the pre grid opposite Roger Edgar in his C Mod Mini Cooper S. We both laughed as it was just like that 20 years ago when he and I battled it out in the prepared class. They usually got me by a blink. Drove me crazy! Wasn't till I pitched that stock carb that I beat them. Got him today too!!!
There was an interesting selection of cars out, a Ferrari, three old Super Cars( 2 'cudas, 1 chevelle), some ICE RACER named Murray, and another Mini Cooper S that was very clean. It did not rain and I THINK I had fun. The drive back was great, took some back roads and just had fun ACCELERATING through the gears. God, is a Corrola GTS slow.
There is another Novice slalom at Willowbrook on October the 6th, no 5th gear stuff, but, racings racing.

The 510 Club day was a great success! Thanks to all who came out and ran. We got lots of seat time and, with the rotational work stations, the time seemed to go very fast. Pat Roberts gets the Driver of the Day award in my books. He piloted that 4,300 lbs. of Detroit iron around the course in fine AND fast style. Jamie and I did a practice run in his car first thing in the morning, just to see if the course was safe, etc.. As we turned through the cross box to head for the stop box, the car all of a sudden did the major 180 degree spin, and headed backwards towards our timing light. Jamie, in true ice racer fashion, palmed the wheel, corrected the skid, and then calmly stopped the car before hitting the light. What the hell do you run for castor, .5 degrees?? If that was me, I would still be madly soldering the damn timing lights back together. Nice catch Boss!. Needless to say I walked back to the pits, wondering if I had brought my clean underwear. Jamie's anti roll bar rod end had failed big time, causing the sudden major oversteer. Kind of makes you want to double check all that stuff after EVERY outing!
Thanks again to all that helped, worked, and supported the event. And, yes Darcy, my knees shake too, and my hands and my...!
October 6th saw me head back to Willowbrook for another novice slalom. This time I ran the old FireRocks. I ultimately had a better day than last time, but, still found it frustrating to have no stick. Did the big time spin on my first run, didn't catch it like Jamie...how do you do that? Must be that .5 degrees of castor! There are some really fast drivers and cars out, even at the novice events. The fellow in the V 8 Ferrari was back out and did a fine job of driving. It is hard to get back to that mode of concentrating enough to "SLOW down and you'll go faster". By the end of the day I had redeemed myself, but, it sure was a lot of work!

Back in June, for those of you that were at the AGM, I received a very "SPECIAL" package from Russia, the Bert Vorgon Factory to be precise! It was the latest Bert Vorgon Anti gravity Decelerator VAGD 510/30/CAN KL 1a Kit (see picture). Wow, was I SURPRISED!! And impressed! It had been a while since I had communicated with Bert and had kind of lost track of his progress. Bert had to spend some time looking for his brother, Rimsky, lost in Lake Bullshitski, not far from their test facility. Seems Rimsky was testing one of their early prototype decelerators on Bert's ice racing Lada (see picture). He occasionally gets confused when things start happening fast (most ice racers usually do). Just to back track a little, Rimsky had also bolted a MIG 21 Jet assisted fuel bottle to the right side of his front fender. His theory was to light it off in small bursts to get the Lada to turn left better (Rimsky gets TSN via satellite and loves NASCAR). What he did not count on was the extreme G forces produced, once that sucker lit off!
So extreme that he could not reach the dash to turn it off. So, as Rimsky hurtled down the straight, and almost to oblivion, instead of hitting the arming switch for the decelerator, he hit the "on" button for the jet pack. Bert last saw him, eyes bulging, augering into Lake Bullshitski, spinning at 400 knots! Lucky for all, Rimsky was also testing a self contained survival capsule, a la the Unlimited Hydroplanes. It took a couple of months to get him out of the lake. Mainly because Bert was glad to get him out of his hair for awhile, and did not want any more large, Lada sized holes in the ice.
At any rate, after months of testing, lots of bent sheet metal, and one test driver, the test is finished. Published here is the original letter from Bert, that came with the Decelerator Kit, as well as the letter, pictures, and test results that I have sent back to Bert.
You can see, from some of the pictures, that things did not always go smoothly. Quality control in Russia is still not up to par. We were given the wrong wiring diagram (Rimsky's fault), the sockets would only fit a Lada?, and, the untimely triggering of a V1 MAX Decel Mode, proved to give a whole new meaning to the term "detached Retinas" (see artist's rendering)! I have also used my company for the testing, hence the letterhead. I hate Law suites, ever since that incident with the "red" neck in the Bronco, during one of the infamous' Vernon to Kamloops Cannonballs. He should NEVER have tried to out brake Richard Boyck and myself, NEVER! Good thing he was a poor shot. On the positive side, I made lots of new friends during the testing...ambulance drivers, emergency room technicians and physical therapists, as well as the neighbors at the end of my complex who called the rescue squad. So, read on and, hopefully enjoy. For those of you that still have the early setup on the rear of your 510, just carry a really big fire extinguisher.

Keith Law
Mr. Gadget Research
October 2, 1996

P.S. Sorry about the quality of the photo copies, etc.. The Russian photo copier that Bert sent me is, how do you say, cheapski Xeroxski.

Wanted:
Test driver. Max. grade 8 educ. Should have own car(s).
Ex. Mig-21 pilot preferred / or high 'G' experience. Ice racers need not apply. Everyone knows you cannot stop
on ice! Must like "Scenic Lake Tours". Stereo exper. a
bonus. Familiarity with brakes an asset. MUST be able to
read wiring diagrams. Ph: Mr. Gadget Research
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Posted another story from Oct 1996, RE: Bert Vorgon
Some of you may know the whole story. The Bert Vorgon Brake test was published in one of the news letters back then, can't seem to find the disc on that one. I'll keep digging. If your interested.

Keith Law
Turn7

Post by Turn7 »

I'll have to take a look at my old newsletters. ( back when I was a legit member).. Unless they were the rare bootleg copies with the top secret info! he he
Brent
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You have to join up. Your old car is in the calendar.

Keith Law
Turn7

Post by Turn7 »

I am . I have printed the PDF and filled it in. I brought it to the slalomn and just forgot to give it to Byron. since then..... I was hoping they would take Nigerian Bankers Cheques. I never did hear back about the stock options in Bert' and Brent's Petrol Storage Bunker.

Guess... I'll make sure I take a drive to drop it off over the holidays.
510six

Post by 510six »

The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking a V8

http://forums.hybridz.org/timeslips.php?

My favorite story, Was I was all by my lonesome at Sacramento raceway on a Wensday street night a couple of years ago the night before the Thursday annual trek to Thunderhill for all the 510`s.I managed to break out of the brackets by .10 so I was religated to running exibition runs.One of which was vs. a 97 Camero with a 406 and a shot of N20,I ran a 11.29 vs. His 11.31 and caught the Camero sleeping at the lights.I was mobbed by about 40 people after the race, I guess He was some local street racing hero who just had His ass handed to Him by a 71 Datsun 510.BTW I didn`t run at Thunderhill the next day but I made it to the track and a couple of members were gracious enought to give me a ride around the track a time or two.
MUNSTERSIZED

Post by MUNSTERSIZED »

now thats what i like to here a dime smokin a chevy. right on man !
IT'S NOT JUST A COMPACT, IT'S A STILE ON WHEEL'S!....ooohhhhh yaaaa
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Most excellent! Always good to put a V-8 away!

Keith Law
Roostmonkey

Post by Roostmonkey »

My story is about a 71 521 pickup I just bought. My 16 yr old son was in the market for a pickup to be his first car. He pointed out this truck in the local want ads and seeing we're from the north east, I imagined this truck to be the same rust bucket that every other truck from that era is. We called and made an appointment to see it with the little old woman that owned it.An hour and a half drive later we were standing in front of a truck that looked as tho it was 5-10 years old.There was no rust thru anywhere only a bubble or two here and there. I looked at the odometer and it read 53k. I checked the rubber pads on the pedals and right away knew these were original miles. By now the woman came out it turns out, she purchased the truck new and only used it around town making dumpruns ect... we went inside to do the paper work ( she was asking 2k...I offered her 1500 and we settled on $1750.oo). All of a sudden she perks up and says " I almost forgot, I have all these posters if you want them" They were 15 or so factory dealer promotion posters of 510's,610's.pickups,240 stock, 240 racing with John Morton, 510 racing with John Morton, some artsy stuff done by Salvatore Dali and others that I cant remember right now. I was almost as excited about these posters as I was about the truck. She also gave me the original bill of sale from jan 72 for $1964.00 ( has the optional am radio ).She only lost 200 bucks from what she paid. Now I just hope my son can take as good of care as she did.
cOiLoverKiD

Post by cOiLoverKiD »

Two short memories but I will never forget. In my last year of high school (2004), I finally got my license after waiting one whole year. Well we had a schol fundraiser for prom and of course I went. My dime was looking and sounding great. As the night came to a close, time to go home. As I'm waiting for my friend to pull out of the Shakeys driveway, I noticed he tried to burn out and failed, shure as hell I didn't. As I heard my tires squeel and my friends cheering me on I was in true bliss. But at the same moment I pulled out, the street parallel to the driveway was being patrolled by a cop. Well I saw him pull to the side and turn his lights off. I came to the stop sign and shure as hell there he was waiting. As I turned left he turned a U and next thing I saw were lights :shock: .I got let go because it turns out I started a chain reaction all my friends did the same thing and the cops chaced my friend. My friends had no Idea I got pulled over. Next day in school I bought my friend lunch and we all had a big laugh.

Second story was something only a guy would do. It was mid summer and my lil sister was attending summer school. My dime had a fresh white paint job. And I drove by a friends house. Her dad is also a Datsun head. Lucky for me though he wasn't home. She (my friend) was watering her lawn. Remember mid summer, Short shorts, Hour glASS figure with garden hose in her hands :mrgreen: my 18 year old imagination took me places in those few seconds, that I wish I hadn't returned. I was gawking at her like their is no tomorrow. The lady in front of me at the light pulled away and I got hnked at. Still looking at my friend I didn't realize the woman in front stopped. I mashed the brakes but it was inevitable. My impecable front bumper was laid to rest. My friend saw what happened and asked if I was ok. I don't know if it was the summer heat or the sheer ebarassment of making an ass of myself that I didn't answer her. I checked the lady in front, her car had absolutley no damage I said I was fine and that was that I left home as fast as my car could go.
Well, their you have it, my most memorable moments in my first post.
jetblacknismo

Post by jetblacknismo »

Today is the day!!
I just bought a 1971 510 2 door about 3 hours ago. Man, am I still star struck or what ?? I've been looking for a decent one that somebody didnt want 5000 bucks for a long time now.

It has almost NO rust at all !! A couple of areas with a little surface rust on them, but it is really nice. Must have been garaged for a great deal of it's life.
Runs smooth and strong. Mallory ignition and a weber carb along with a flowmaster on the exhaust.

Only downside so far is it's an automatic. I'll fix that later :twisted: .

I cant believe I just bought this car !!! And for only 1300 bucks !!!

I'm glad to finally be a part of the 510realm as well. Everybody on hear seems to be friendly and very helpful. Unlike a couple of other forums I've been a member of that just bash you if you dont know everything.

Man!! I still feel like I'm dreaming !

...my first 510...
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

congrats dude! and you're welcome anytime here. datto or not. knowledgable or senile ;)
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
jetblacknismo

Post by jetblacknismo »

Thanks for the welcome. I left work early today just so I could drive around for a few hours. It was great!!!

I love this car!! I've already had three guys ask me how much I wanted to sell it for. I would just laugh and say 'No way!'.

Oh yea, a quick question. The guy that sold it says it's a 71, and so does the title. But the identification plate in the doorwell says manufacture date - 8/70. Is it a 71 or a 70 ??

thanks
onslot

Post by onslot »

on of after the 8 month of the production year is concidered the next model year you yep its a 71
and congrats on the new ride