What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
vgwagon

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by vgwagon »

Did some suspension changes, had a clunk up front, ended up breaking one of the t/c rod delrin ball socket centering pilot allowing the t/c rod to move slightly up and down.
I replaced them with the Futo-Fab t/c rod kit.
Nice kit. Had to enlarge the tc rod box holes slightly to allow the aluminum bushing to fit through. Also had to modify the lower leading edge of the front fenders to clear the extra caster I am about to dial in. Trying for 5º positive caster.
Pictures.....
DSC03006 (Large).JPG
DSC03007 (Large).JPG
DSC03008 (Large).JPG
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

vgwagon wrote:Did some suspension changes, had a clunk up front, ended up breaking one of the t/c rod delrin ball socket centering pilot allowing the t/c rod to move slightly up and down.
Nice kit. Had to enlarge the tc rod box holes slightly to allow the aluminum bushing to fit through. Also had to modify the lower leading edge of the front fenders to clear the extra caster I am about to dial in. Trying for 5º positive caster.
Are you running stock bushings? If so be careful with 5 degrees of caster.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

duke wrote:
vgwagon wrote:Did some suspension changes, had a clunk up front, ended up breaking one of the t/c rod delrin ball socket centering pilot allowing the t/c rod to move slightly up and down.
Are you running stock bushings? If so be careful with 5 degrees of caster.
Hell no, com 10 spherical in the lower control arm. No rubber left anywhere in the front suspension other than tires.
DSC00972 (Small).JPG
DSC00973 (Small).JPG
DSC00982 (Small).JPG
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

That's what I figured, just couldn't tell. You commented on having to trim the front fender. I have always wondered what it would look like if you moved the front wheel opening forward a little (I'm guessing about 1") to correspond with the amount that the front wheel is pulled forward when running more caster. Just a thought.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

duke wrote:That's what I figured, just couldn't tell. You commented on having to trim the front fender. I have always wondered what it would look like if you moved the front wheel opening forward a little (I'm guessing about 1") to correspond with the amount that the front wheel is pulled forward when running more caster. Just a thought.
My race car had that done to it when I got it, it looks pretty good.
nico

Post by nico »

hand waxed my wife. yee =)

ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

nico wrote:hand waxed my wife. yee =)

I bet your wife enjoyed that !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Got my oil changed today, it's a bit of a pain, as I like to drain the oil cooler at the same time. That means trying to carefully undo the aeroquip line, and feed it pointing down, and then put the other line facing up into the air. My engine/sump/cooler take 8 litres of oil, which is a big hit to the pocket book on that one.

Next thing I will do is fire it up to fill the oil filter, bring it up to temp, and adjust the valves, then I should be good to go to Specialty for the power train checkup.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Tried very unsuccesfully to find an outlet on the interwebs that has all the energy suspension bushings I want in stock.
So far the only likelyhood is at energysuspensionparts.com , but I havent heard back from them yet....

My 32/36 bearing kit came in yesterday from pegasusautoracing.com. That will be going in and I will repair the booster venturis. Then hopefully the carb will finally work right this weekend!

I cant adjust my idle low enough at this point due to the secondary shaft being worn and the throttle valve not closing quite all the way.
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

gbean wrote:Tried very unsuccesfully to find an outlet on the interwebs that has all the energy suspension bushings I want in stock.
Which ones are you looking for, I have quite a few here.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

gbean wrote:Tried very unsuccesfully to find an outlet on the interwebs that has all the energy suspension bushings I want in stock.
So far the only likelyhood is at energysuspensionparts.com , but I havent heard back from them yet....
gbean, I was able to get energy suspension stuff though Smothers Auto Parts in Santa Rosa. They had to order most of it, but they are good guys and I like supporting local businesses.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

2 weeks ago I put the U67 head on my Z22 block based engine for the wagon.

Last weekend I put the timing set on and then decided I needed to get a new oiler.

Hoping to have it this weekend and button 'er up.

Maybe even post pics... :lol:
---Yeah, I said what I said.
Wicked Saint
Supporter

Post by Wicked Saint »

Spent the last week getting this all sorted out and now I have time to post. It R fast and make me happy :twisted:

gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Started and hopefully ended the search for a new rear end for my dad's 71 Wagon.

That was easy!

Its only 70 miles away!
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Reassembled the trans to engine, after a new rear main seal and pilot bushing, and got it back on its cart. Started on the carb rebuilds, got 1 done, but the fumes started giving me a headache, so I 'll finish later. They look good except for the gunk from sitting for 10+ years.
Attachments
resize5.jpg
resize4.jpg
resize2.jpg
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project