What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
510rob

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by 510rob »

Damn, you sure have nice paint on your car, even in the small never-to-be-seen nooks and crannies. So nice!
cartel

Post by cartel »

That's exactly what I wanted. To not see the tank. I measured this one its 6" deep the same 16 gallon one..
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

510rob wrote: 26 Mar 2019 10:34 Damn, you sure have nice paint on your car, even in the small never-to-be-seen nooks and crannies. So nice!
Thanks man..
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

cartel wrote: 27 Mar 2019 22:15 That's exactly what I wanted. To not see the tank. I measured this one its 6" deep the same 16 gallon one..
Sweet! Glad I was able to shed some light on it for you. The roll over vent valve will be mounted in the passenger wheel well. Im gonna weld up a bracket for it. There's really not many option on putting it anywhere else.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Grabbed the 510 insurance papers yesterday, put 7 months on this year. For a variety of reasons I want to get some driving in early this season, and....the NEW ICBC rates go into affect on April the 1st, with a 6.3 % increase. Getting it early just saved me 45.00 bucks.

Today I am going to pop the valve cover off, lube up the cam and chain, then hopefully fire the beast up, either go for a drive later today or tomorrow for sure, likely do a shake down run over the Specialty.

I still need to finalize hooking up the glove box light, check out the methanol spray and water spray, make sure all are good. Will likely take a later date not too far down the road to do that at Specialty, as the methanol check is not a simple procedure.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

Like putting a drizzle of olive oil over your roast, I lubed up the cam shaft yesterday. The engine had not run for almost 3 months, so it is always a good idea to pop that valve cover off and help that cam out.

I pulled the plugs and spun the engine over to get oil pressure quickly. As my drive today will be just a cruise I put some fresh BP7ES plugs in, as I will not see much wide open throttle.

When I first got to the garage I hit the fuel pump on to re-fill the carb, then pumped the gas pedal a few times, hopefully letting the fumes build up. It was only 50F in the garage so the car was quite cold.

The cam looked good and I always check the mouse trap springs.

Settling into the bucket seat felt really good, like putting on your comfy old runners. I hit the key and the motor spun around a couple of times, then almost caught. Another turn of the key and it lit off, letting it sit at 2,000 RPM to make sure the spray bar was oiling the cam no problem.

It took about 10 minutes to reach 200F, where I let it idle for a minute with the fuel pump off, to make sure no rich mixture was left in the cylinders at idle.

I'm off for a quick drive to Specialty for a test drive, anybody around who would like a quick visitor? Not like I need an excuse for a drive, but......

Who all is even ready for some driving in April? Too early for any long trips as all the mountains are still snowy and covered in crap. Also the snow tire requirement has been extended till the end of April. We could do a drive to Fort Casey again, that is always a nice run and the roads should be clear by mid to late April down there, then we could come back the old hwy#99, that is a fun route too.

Here is a shot of Hwy # 20, where that big hair pin is as we drop from the Pass. Will not be cleared until mid May.

Anybody up for a drive to Knox this year? I likely would not take the 510 as the Coq. is a waste of gas.
Attachments
IMGP4428 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4428 (Large).jpeg (384.59 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
IMGP4427 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4427 (Large).jpeg (315.79 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
IMGP4425 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4425 (Large).jpeg (449.69 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
IMGP4423 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4423 (Large).jpeg (441.63 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
hwy 20.JPG
hwy 20.JPG (135.51 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Keith I got my car out for the first time on Friday. I put in the new diff and took it out for a 25k shakedown. I put it back on the lift yesterday to nut and bolt it again. It is hard to tell the difference yet. I need to find a parking lot and drive in circles for a while. I used some angle iron zap strapped to the tires to set my alignment it I get it on a rack next weekend. I found a slightly bent link on the divers side so that will need to be replaced this week before I get it in for the alignment. I would be up for a drive this month. I will use any excuse to go for a drive.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
gooned

Post by gooned »

Nice to hear you guys are ready for getting out, always look fw to the trip reports as I rarely make them.
The kids still talk about our great trip through that hwy to the mining museum Keith, I think we will need to make an effort to catch that outing this year.

I just saw this about a Freek so I’ll leave it here :mrgreen:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/03/the ... -heard-of/
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Into the Sunlight

I swear I heard that 46 year old Japanese tin sigh as I rolled the car into the sunlight, like an old cat lying out on the porch, relishing the warmth.

It started with hardly a turn of the motor, letting the water temp build to about 170F before I slowly rolled away. The roads around my daughters place are a nightmare with all the new construction, I cannot believe they are allowed to do that, then leave them in such a pot hole and dip mess.

I went east to 176th, which let the motor warm up, getting some heat into the oil. My motor is very noisy for the first 10 to 15 minutes, as it takes some time for the forged pistons to grow, I almost sound like a diesel. I went south on 176th to 8th and headed to #99.

All the while I’m listening and feeling all the sounds and vibrations as the car wakes up to spring. As it still was cool when I got to #99 I resisted giving the car a shot of boost. The tires were cold too and did not want to lose traction on the on ramp.

Running down #99 had all temps where they should be, intake temp was 67F, exhaust was 1,080F, and car was smooth at 110 KMH.

At Specialty ( sorry I missed you Robyn) I hooked up the wiring for the glove box light, which is going to be a nice addition for those dark mornings.
Andy fired up his Aprilia sport bike, the engine sound a wonderful cacophony of mechanical sounds. That thing makes 200 HP and is insanely fast.

I decided my route back would be #91 to Nordel exit, over to #17 and head east to 176th. I got to do the g-force cornering on the exit, as the tires felt like they had some heat, then rolled on some boost as I fed onto #17, THAT put a smile on my face.

Traffic was amazingly light for a Sunday afternoon, until I got to that Cloverdale corridor.

I have to still check out the methanol spray system and pop the wheels off to clean their backside from last year’s dust.

Overall the car felt good, ran like a top, and got lots of waves and one guy in a new Jaguar sat off my rear quarter taking pictures with his cell phone.

I ended up doing some 80KM and got a good hour of shakedown time in.
Attachments
IMGP4431 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4431 (Large).jpeg (369.01 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
IMGP4429 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4429 (Large).jpeg (454.86 KiB) Viewed 4697 times

Keith Law
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Looking good Bertvorgon. Gotta love those red dimes.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
cartel

Post by cartel »

Added pics from my fone and it added a new post below..
Last edited by cartel on 04 Apr 2019 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Gibson
cartel

Post by cartel »

Built some shortened struts for a couple dimes at work.. the tig welding is slowly coming along..Image
Easier to post pics on instagram so there are more there..
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv20I_wlKGx ... igic6b5fuk
Mike Gibson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Re the TIG, try turning down your heat and picking up your speed,your HAZ is about twice as wide as it should be.
cartel

Post by cartel »

I unloaded the newest addition today-- X Westwood -- put ATF down all the cylinders and it spun by hand -- got it turning over with oil pressure - now to put the plugs back in and reinstall the rocker arms..
flushed all the old gas out of the cell- it was bright GREEN = :mrgreen: not sure what that was C12? and man did it stink-- may try to fire it up tomorrow..

will do some cage mods and it may make it to a vintage race at mission this summer
Mike Gibson
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

thats so crazy... it still has its chrome rocker strip, with the hardware thats got to be 5lbs.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!